Camera Raw: Allow multiple settings as "Add Source" nodes

• Author

Mel Matsuoka

Camera Raw: Allow multiple settings as "Add Source" nodes

PostMon Jul 26, 2021 7:27 pm

I'd like to see the "Add Source" option in the Node editor to be expanded to allow for the use of multiple Camera Raw settings as input sources for the same node graph.

The specific use case which I have frequently encounter for this I when you are trying to deal with a very poorly exposed shot (in my case, almost always shot on a RED camera), where you want to crank the ISO way down, to recover blown out highlights in the sky, while using a different ISO for other parts of the frame. Then you could just use a Layer Mixer node to blend the different parts of each exposure level using Windows.

Unfortunately, despite the fact that the RED camera is the predominant camera used for commercial work in my market, literally no-one apparantly wants/knows how to shoot using HDR-X for challenging lighting situations. So being able to split exposures in the same node graph would be a huge help.

Of course you could just stack a copy of the clip over itself, and use alpha-keys to accomplish the same thing, but that's really kludgey, especially if you're doing a XML roundtrip workflow back to Premiere.
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 / Decklink Mini Monitor / 14" 2021 Macbook Pro Max (macOS 12.5.1, M1 Max) / 32GB RAM

Mel Matsuoka

Re: Camera Raw: Allow multiple settings as "Add Source" node

PostMon Jul 26, 2021 11:05 pm

I'm also reminded of this previous thread, which suggested that there be a node-level Camera Raw option. This could be another method to implement what I'm looking for.
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 / Decklink Mini Monitor / 14" 2021 Macbook Pro Max (macOS 12.5.1, M1 Max) / 32GB RAM

Dermot Shane

PostWed Jul 28, 2021 2:13 am

another possiable stupid work-around, maybe a bit more Pp round trip proof
import to media pool @ ISO set for base exposure
import to media pool as mattes with ISO set for optional exposure
layer mixer + math op of your choice
cross fingers

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostSun Aug 01, 2021 2:02 am

I don't get this.
You work on 32bits floating, you can debayer in log and you have all the details from the sensor.

Once you shoot, everything else you do is math.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests