Initial Edit Page and Failrlight thoughts

• Author

Bluebeep

Initial Edit Page and Failrlight thoughts

PostThu Jul 22, 2021 12:55 pm

Hi guys,

I've had a chance to play around with Resolve and I absolutely love this software!

I do have some observations (that may have options I haven't found yet) and hopefully will help make Resolve even better.

Edit Page
If I can have a waveform height control in Fairlight page, why don't I have a clip height in the Edit Page?

Fairlight Page
- Why are there no buttons to click on the right and left of the controls for the height and width adjustment of the waveforms in the Fairlight page like there is in the Edit Page (available for Clips)?
- In the Fairlight page why can I not click and drag to reorder the applied AU effects? (BTW is the actual audio effect process order top to bottom?)
- I have better EQ and Compression AU plugins than the default ones found in Fairlight. If I can reorder the F-E-D, I should be able to select what effect it's reordering. i.e. select my own defauly EQ and Compression plugins.
- Is there a setting for adjusting the curve of a audio fade in the Fairlight page right on the clip?
- Should the Mixer in the Fairlight page not be a detachable window that I can take over to another monitor?
- The full track width (Full Track Mixer) is still too narrow for me. Maybe for larger screens a slide to resize the Mixer window would be helpful.
- Each Mixer strip should show the current or time-held dB value (calculated over a short term) for the level coming thru the channel (i.e clearly show above the channel strip what the actual audio level for the channel is). Davinci already has an audio clipping indicator that holds the LED for about 4 seconds so my guess is that it does already perform the calculation). The actual dB level that the volume slider has been moved is usually less relevant IMHO (Probably best placed below the slider).
- Maybe I have missed it but if I'm working on the audio for a clip in the Fairlight page, where is the loop-this-clip option? I might have a really small clip and if I click play then check the plugin page it can take a couple of seconds. By this time the clip is done. If I have the clip looped I have the time to load up the plugin and tweak until the girlfriend gets pissed off and moves out.

I hope some of these already have solutions, but if not I hope this can help push Davinci further.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Initial Edit Page and Failrlight thoughts

PostTue Jul 27, 2021 7:18 am

Moved to Resolve feature request forum
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Reynaud Venter

PostTue Jul 27, 2021 8:11 am

Bluebeep wrote:Why are there no buttons to click on the right and left of the controls for the height and width adjustment of the waveforms in the Fairlight page like there is in the Edit Page (available for Clips)?
The Fairlight page provides more extensive control over waveform height.

Shortcut: Option + Command and use the mouse scroll wheel to zoom waveform heights.

Alternatively, the Clip contextual menu provides options within the Track Waveform Zoom menu to Zoom In/Out and Reset waveforms. Suggest assigning custom keybindings to these functions via the Keyboard Customisation window.

The Fairlight page provides the Timeline View Options drop-down to display Full Waveforms and Waveform Borders.

In the Fairlight page why can I not click and drag to reorder the applied AU effects?
Open the Inspector panel with a Track or Buss selected and click on the Effects tab.

Each plugin instance provides dedicated Move Up and Move Down buttons in the header
(next to the Bin icon).

The same applies to Clip-based plugins where order may be adjusted via the Inspector.

I have better EQ and Compression AU plugins than the default ones found in Fairlight. If I can reorder the F-E-D, I should be able to select what effect it's reordering. i.e. select my own defauly EQ and Compression plugins.
The FX Order relates to the order of the Fairlight EQ and Dynamics, and Inserts.

F-E-D indicates the following order:
FX (Inserts) - Fairlight EQ - Fairlight Dynamics

Refer to:
Resolve 17 Manual | Page 3334 | Chapter 179 | Signal Flow Diagrams

Is there a setting for adjusting the curve of a audio fade in the Fairlight page right on the clip?
Drag the Clip's Fade handle to adjust fade duration.

Drag the Fade Bead (or X-Point) to adjust the Fade Shape and Level.

Same functionality is available for Crossfades.

Should the Mixer in the Fairlight page not be a detachable window that I can take over to another monitor?
If you have a dual monitor configuration, the Timeline will be displayed on the primary monitor and the Fairlight Mixer on the secondary monitor.

Workspace menu > Dual Screen > On

The full track width (Full Track Mixer) is still too narrow for me. Maybe for larger screens a slide to resize the Mixer window would be helpful.
The Fairlight Mixer extends to 45% of the monitor width when dragging the Mixer's left hand border.

The Busses + VCAs area of the Fairlight Mixer is also resizable when hovering of the left hand border which displays a resize mouse cursor.

Suggest a dual monitor configuration if more screen real estate is required.

Maybe I have missed it but if I'm working on the audio for a clip in the Fairlight page, where is the loop-this-clip option?
Define a Range with Gates (shortcut: I = In Point and O = Out Point).

In the Fairlight toolbar enable the Loop button (shortcut: Command + Forward Slash) and use the Play In to Out command (shortcut: Option + Forward Slash).

Charles Bennett

PostTue Jul 27, 2021 9:31 am

There are many advantages using 2 monitors with the Fairlight page. In the first pic the video tracks are shown with the video scroller active. On the mixer screen the floating video window has been enlarged to fill the space between the faders.
Fairlight Dual Screen with Floating Video Window and Scroller.jpg
Fairlight Dual Screen with Floating Video Window and Scroller.jpg (692.58 KiB) Viewed 522 times

In this pic the Meters have been turned off giving full height mixer channels.
Fairlight Dual Screen with Floating Video Window and Scroller - Meters Off.jpg
Fairlight Dual Screen with Floating Video Window and Scroller - Meters Off.jpg (674.88 KiB) Viewed 522 times
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests