In the Timeline, include text using speech-to-text

• Author

rsf123

In the Timeline, include text using speech-to-text

PostSat Oct 16, 2021 2:41 pm

When editing talking head videos, the biggest task is editing the speaker's words.

When I've listened to a few seconds or minutes of speech, I need to go back to the location where the speaker said a particular thing, so I can make a cut at that point, for example.

Let's say you have 1 hour of footage, and you want to make a cut at a point where the speaker said a certain thing. That is difficult right now, and you have to scroll through large amounts of footage to find where the person said that. (Imagine if you want a 1 hour video, and have 4 hours of raw footage. Imagine the time it takes to locate the part where the talent spoke a specific statement?)

Suggestion: Imagine that the timeline had a horizontal strip where the speech has been converted into text, and you can locate things by searching for words. The words would roughly correlate to the audio-wave form, as a way of locating the location where the talent spoke certain words.

The speech-to-text could make use of the dictation function that is in Windows 11 or macOS, hence, BMD would not have to create the technology, but just make use of the feature that is already part of the Operating system.

This strip of text can be turned on and off, since only certain projects that rely heavily on dialogue would require such a feature.

I realise this feature is only feasible when the timeline is sufficiently stretched out, side to side. But when I'm editing speech, I usually have the timeline stretched out wide so I can use the audio waveform to locate precise points in the talent's speech.

Constantin Gross

Re: In the Timeline, include text using speech-to-text

PostSat Oct 16, 2021 3:40 pm

Check out simonsays.ai
it offers what you are looking for.

However, a deeper integration with DaVinci and searchable script-text fields would be amazing!

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests