Audio Ducking Made Simple

• Author

TWCCEO

Audio Ducking Made Simple

PostSat Oct 23, 2021 7:25 am

A couple of years ago, I posted a suggestion that BMD take a look at automating their audio ducking feather for Resolve/Fairlight. My reason for making this suggestion had to do with the program I used before switching to Resolve. Don't get me wrong, I love Resolve and would never go back to PP or anything else but here my pitch. As a documentary producer we live and die by the ability to edit a effortlessly as possible. I previously used CyberLink's PowerDirector which has one of if not the best audio ducking feature out there. Heck, one time I even edited a 2.5 hour documentary using their audio ducking feature and it rocked. I seems to me that BMD might want to take a look at PowerDirector's ducking feature and consider making some improvements to Resolve/Fairlight. Here is a link explaining PowerDirector's ducking feature. Go to YouTube and search for PowerDirector audio ducking and look for a tutorial by The Sharper Turtle and I think you will agree that they have done a fantastic job.

Luke Holzmann

Re: Audio Ducking Made Simple

PostTue Oct 26, 2021 1:58 pm

TWCCEO wrote:As a documentary producer we live and die by the ability to edit a effortlessly as possible.

I don't know much about this topic, but I thought JayAreTV's video about sidechaining audio tracks so it auto-ducks music was super-exciting:

Does that help?

~Luke
Studio 18.6.4 build 6 | Windows 10 Pro | Driver 551.23 Studio

WORK
1. 2080Ti; Ryzen 9 3900X; 32GB
2. 3080; Ryzen 9 5950X; 64GB
Blackmagic Cloud; Media NAS; M.2 Boot

HOME
1080Ti; Threadripper 1950X; 32GB
Media 7200; M.2 Boot

David Johns

PostThu Nov 18, 2021 3:12 pm

Sidechaining with a compressor is fine as far as it goes but it has issues such as not anticipating the duck at the start of a clip (but rather, reacting to it) hence it's always a fraction late; and whilst you want a degree of hold between breaths perhaps, you don't want that hold at the end of a section of VO, so the ducker needs to work out where it's merely holding between clips and actually at the end (combinations of hold / release do not achieve this)
Resolve Studio 18.6 on a Macbook Air M1 with 16GB RAM

Olivier MATHIEU

PostWed Dec 01, 2021 8:41 pm

+1
Resolve Studio 18.6.x & Fusion Studio 18.6.x | MacOS 13.6.x | GUI : 3840 x 2160 | Ntw : 10Gb/s
MacbookPro M2 Max

Editor, Compositing Artist
Davinci Resolve & Fusion Certified Trainer

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests