Ability to mark clips from within the cut page

• Author

Phil Side

Ability to mark clips from within the cut page

PostMon Oct 25, 2021 11:58 am

In the cut page, if you have the timeline or the Source Tape selected, it is not possible to change the color of a clip. Neither the Mark menu nor any assigned shortcut will work.

The only way to change the color is to click the clip in the Media pool panel, and then mark it in the normal way.

It would be really useful to be able to mark clips from anywhere within the Cut page

Charles Bennett

Re: Ability to mark clips from within the cut page

PostMon Oct 25, 2021 10:23 pm

In the Cut page M will add a marker to the Timeline. Double clicking on it gives you the choice of changing its color and name.
You can give a clip in the Media Pool a color by right clicking on it and selecting Clip Color from the menu. It will show on the clip a a dot of the color you choose, and when inserted into the Timeline it will be highlighted in that color.
You can do the same by right clicking on a clip in the Timeline. Unfortunately this does not add a colored dot to the Media Pool thumbnail, but they do show in the Media Pool in the Edit page.
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Andy Mees

PostMon Oct 25, 2021 10:28 pm

Charles Bennett wrote:Unfortunately this does not add a colored dot to the Media Pool thumbnail.

When you change a clip color in the timeline you're only changing the color for that specific instance, not the clip it came from, so it stands to reason that it wouldn't change the source clip color in the media pool.
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

Phil Side

PostTue Oct 26, 2021 7:37 am

Andy Mees wrote:When you change a clip color in the timeline you're only changing the color for that specific instance, not the clip it came from, so it stands to reason that it wouldn't change the source clip color in the media pool.

Yes, that seems to be the crux of my problem. I want to use the Source Tape to go through all of the clips quickly setting each clip to a given colour. It's not possible to do that if the Source Tape, Source Viewer or Timeline have focus. You have to activate the Media Pool panel first.

What I'll probably end up doing is creating a macro (using Autohotkey) so that all of the shortcuts I have set up to assign a colour a clip will first switch focus to the Media Pool.

It would be really helpful if there were a way to do this within Resolve. As I understand it, quickly sorting and selecting clips is one of the main goals of the Cut page.

Andy Mees

PostTue Oct 26, 2021 11:18 am

Phil Side wrote:
Andy Mees wrote:It would be really helpful if there were a way to do this within Resolve. As I understand it, quickly sorting and selecting clips is one of the main goals of the Cut page.

For what it's worth, Adobe Premiere offers a specific timeline setting for this ("Show Source Clip Name and Label"... it used to be a project wide setting but was moved to become a per timeline setting). It forces a name and label link between any clip instance in the given timeline and it's source clip display name and label, so changing either property, in either location, immediately changes both source and instance(s). Maybe the BMD devs could consider a similar solution, so those who want/need that functionality can easily enable it, while those who prefer that instances continue to act uniquely, can keep it disabled?
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests