Speed Editor Edit Page: Insert, Overwrite, Replace

• Author

Matt White

Speed Editor Edit Page: Insert, Overwrite, Replace

PostMon Oct 25, 2021 4:24 pm

Please add these basic, constantly used edit commands for use in the Edit page with the Speed Editor:

Insert Clip
Overwrite Clip
Replace Clip

Or just let us map our own commands to it.

TheBloke

Re: Speed Editor Edit Page: Insert, Overwrite, Replace

PostMon Oct 25, 2021 4:36 pm

+1. The more the Speed Editor can do on Edit the better tool it will be.

The addition of Multicam control on Edit in 17.4 was a great step forward. I hope it'll continue to improve.

And yes, custom configuration of every button on every page - like the Keyboard Customisation pane, but for the Speed Editor - would be by far the best solution, handling all possible future feature requests in one go.
Resolve Studio 17.4.3 and Fusion Studio 17.4.3 on macOS 11.6.1

Hackintosh:: X299, Intel i9-10980XE, 128GB DDR4, AMD 6900XT 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x2160 & 3 x 1920x1200
Disk: 2TB NVMe + 4TB RAID0 NVMe; NAS: 36TB RAID6
BMD Speed Editor

Charles Bennett

PostMon Oct 25, 2021 9:52 pm

In the Edit page the Smart Insert key will insert at the playhead position. The Ripple Overwrite key works as well. In fact a lot of the keys work in the Edit page.
Resolve Studio 19.0b build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Matt White

PostTue Oct 26, 2021 11:40 am

Yes, but there are no keys for the commands we use the most: Insert, Overwrite, Replace.

Chris Detjen

PostMon Jan 17, 2022 8:14 pm

Matt White wrote:there are no keys for the commands we use the most: Insert, Overwrite, Replace.

Found Speed Editor frustrating because of the lack of basic Overwrite. I use that all the time when cutting b-roll sequences. Be great to have your A-roll locked in place on V1 (all the talking heads) and then have video tracks 2 to infinity for b-roll cuts. The closest function on Speed Editor is "Place on Top" but that is annoying as you end up making an insane amount of tracks just to do a basic b-roll cut-up. I did learn that the keyboard F10 will help get around the lack of a "basic overwrite" button on Speed Editor. Major flaw IMO not to have that. And yet, they put a dedicated button for SMTH CUT (smooth cut) something I never use....

Should really have some ability to custom map buttons on Speed Editor.

Matt White

PostTue Jan 18, 2022 12:11 am

Yep. At the moment the Speed Editor does not speed up the Edit page, but slows us down. So, we mapped our most used commands to a Monogram Creative Console. Now we can work pretty quickly. The only thing we use the Speed Editor for now is the jog shuttle wheel.

C.T. Bell

PostThu Jan 20, 2022 2:12 pm

+1 for customizable keys on the speed editor
Resolve 18.0.4
Ryzen 2700x - 8 core
GTX 1070ti 8gb
64 Gig ram @
1tb WD SN750 NVME SSD
Win 11

studio1492

PostSat Jan 22, 2022 2:52 pm

Or better launch a dedicated control surface for Edit Page. My speed editor is raising dust, as the only useful tool was the joogwheel. It has unexpected behaviours on Edit Page. I found buttons layout not ergonomic, it has been designed to be used with two hands, but still lot of functions requiere the mouse and keyboard so I don't expect my hands jumping from three devices all the time, as I loose focus. Better I use mouse + keyboard. Speed Editor seems limited for a specific workflow which requieres to edit 9 multicams in a rush and apply disolve transitions. It has no sense to me, sorry, maybe its me.

I also sold the DVR Editor Keyboard, as it was not ergonomic, and hugue in size for my desktop. Speed Editr has the same future, I felt like a beta tester in both products. However I appreciate the extra DVR license, which covers the pain.

As customer, $$$ will not be an issue. An Edit Page dedicated control surface may requiere rotatory knobs to control Inspector (transform, keyframes, speed, duration markers, etc) or use the joogwheel in combination with keys. Maybe I'm asking too much? Those are my duty daily tools, which I use. Not Cam3, not Cam9 , and not "Redo" key, as many other fundamental functions that are missing on the speed editor, thus raising dust and waiting to be sold on eBay.
A compact controller inpired on Loupedeck or ElGato Streamdeck with joogwheel will be great.

I NEVER use Cut page, as it doesn't matches with my workflow. I guess "Cut" name comes from "Final Cut".

Edit page lacks for a specialized controller. I'm affraid Speed editor hardware will not cover the amplitude of Edit Page. I'm much faster with a QWERTY keyboard with custom keyboard shortcuts that are mapped to use with the left hand only, as right hand is in the mouse.

However I feel very happy with the MiniPanel, great investment. I only complain about the hugue palm rest, which occupates the precious space that should occupate the keyboard, that makes a very big distance between the keyboard and the buttons at the bottom top. Waiting for an optimized version of MiniPanel too.

It seems that BMD has not considered the integration on the same desktop of MiniPanel, Speed Editor and keyboard. Minipanel is really tall compared with computer keyboard or Speed Editor. The only way to take profit of Speed Editor Jogwheel together with the MiniPanel is to place the Speed Editor vertically at the right of the minipanel, but then my mouse crashes with the speed editor. Awful modularity of the system.

The line of BMD control surfaces should integrate in a modular way, and ergonomic at the same time, making easy to work and avoiding moving our arms around the desktop, helping to have our eyes on the display and not searching which key should be pressed next.
- MBP 14" M1 Pro 16GB, 1TB, 10 core CPU, 16 core GPU.
- Resolve Studio 18.6.4 @ macOS 13.6.2
- Mini Panel v2.0
- Speed Editor (gathering dust until killer custom keys arrive)
- Synology DS218

philtimm

PostFri Jul 01, 2022 11:02 am

I'm already here moaning about stuff, so I'll add my stupefaction at the Speed Editor's inability to do the most simple of edits, the Overwrite. My mind is absolutely blown.

I DEARLY want to love my Speed Editor and use it all the time. But it's missing out on the MOST basic functionality.

Ditto the Cut page. I have repeatedly tried to embrace it, as I know my Speed Editor was designed specifically for that page, but it's nigh on incomprehensible to me. Why, when I have 12 audio tracks on the Edit page, is the Cut page only showing me 7? How am I supposed to target audio/video edits to specific tracks? I'm just not, I guess.

And I'm just starting to understand why the audio industry hasn't embraced the Fairlight page.

Again, I want to love this suite of tools, and associated hardware, but it's not easy.

TL;DR - Let us remap buttons on the Speed Editor!
HP Z8 G4 Workstation (dual Xeon Silver 4116)
160GB 2400MHz RAM
Nvidia RTX A5000 24GB GPU
512GB NVMe sys drive
4TB NVMe RAID0 scratch drive
24TB G-Drive Shuttle XL RAID5 storage (Thunderbolt2)

Win 11 (Version 23H2)
Resolve Studio 19.0B Build 20

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests