Data Burn-in for Multicam Clips

• Author

DesertCookie

Data Burn-in for Multicam Clips

PostFri Nov 19, 2021 2:58 pm

It seems odd to me that data burn-in doesn't work with multicam clips, even when those have metadata. This is especially problematic for projects that mainly use two cameras. In my particular example, our 45-minute narrative indie film consists of more than 80% multicam clips. To know which scene we are in in the exported rough cut we have to add titles to display the missing information, which is a huge chore.

It'd be very helpful to have data burn-in pull the metadata for multicam clips too and display them correctly.

TheBloke

Re: Data Burn-in for Multicam Clips

PostFri Nov 19, 2021 5:05 pm

This happens because the Multicam is a container, and the metadata of the clips inside the Multicam is not accessible to the timeline they're on.

Are you aware that, once you've completed your Multicam edit, you can Flatten the Multicam and get normal clips, which are then normal media clips which work fine for burn-in? That does prevent further multicam editing (no longer possible to switch angle after flatenning), but is workable in situations where the angle choice has been finalised.

That aside, +1 to Multicam clips being smarter and being able to expose metadata and multiple audio tracks.
Resolve Studio 17.4.3 and Fusion Studio 17.4.3 on macOS 11.6.1

Hackintosh:: X299, Intel i9-10980XE, 128GB DDR4, AMD 6900XT 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x2160 & 3 x 1920x1200
Disk: 2TB NVMe + 4TB RAID0 NVMe; NAS: 36TB RAID6
BMD Speed Editor

Peter Cave

PostSat Nov 20, 2021 7:06 am

I usually duplicate the timeline, then flatten and export with burn-in. The original timeline is always available for edit revisions.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

DesertCookie

PostWed Jan 12, 2022 1:04 pm

TheBloke wrote:Are you aware that, once you've completed your Multicam edit, you can Flatten the Multicam and get normal clips, which are then normal media clips which work fine for burn-in?

I did not know. Thank you.
As we do a lot of changing angles though, right now, we've resorted to putting the video and audio clips in the sync bin or directly on the timeline on different tracks and use "Auto Align > Wave Form" to synchronise them.

The problem I'm referring to is that the multicam clips, even though they are contains, can have metadata - and we made sure to set that metadata. It just doesn't get displayed by the data burn-burn in. At least it works for smart bins.

Mattias Silva

PostWed Jul 05, 2023 9:11 am

This is a huge problem. we often have multiple tracks of multicam clips and picture in picture, splitscreen layout for our edits. and the metadata burn in tool will only display data for one video track at a time. even if you flatten the multiclip the burn in will only display for one track. this is a huge problem Blackmagic fix it. You are losing business because of this! please fix it. we need to be able to display burn in on multiclips without flattening, and we need to be able to display burn in on multiple tracks at the same time! fix this now. this is more important than AI noise reduction, seriously! both Premiere and Avid have these functions! fix it!

sector22

PostFri Jul 07, 2023 1:56 pm

Highly frustrating that Data Burn-in only shows top video layer clip name.
Professional Editor - London Based.
Mac Studio 2022, OS 13.1, Apple M1 Ultra, 64GB RAM

Joe Shapiro

PostSun Jul 09, 2023 12:40 am

+1
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

Marc Wielage

PostSun Jul 09, 2023 8:44 am

sector22 wrote:Highly frustrating that Data Burn-in only shows top video layer clip name.

Yeah, we just got in a complex Avid sequence we had to conform, and I was taken aback when I saw that Avid could do multi-layer Data Burn-Ins with separate Clip Names and Clip Timecodes for each one. I have no idea what the limit is, but I think we had four or some composites & split-screen shots. It'd be very nice to have this capability in Resolve.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Peter Warren

PostTue Mar 26, 2024 9:54 pm

really need data burn in for each clip on a layered timeline - PPro does it and I would like to get rid of PPro from my life - save me

GfromIWI

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 7:29 pm

+1 for smarter / more flexible data burn in. For me, this would include, but not be limited to functions like
  • Being able to change the data of the burn in per Timeline (i.E. in Timeline 1 it shows the TC of the video, in Timeline 2 the TC of audio)
  • Add it as an effect so you could add it i.E. to an Adjustment Clip
  • Like others mentioned: Being able to chose more freely, what TC / metadate to show (i.E. TC of V1 or A5)
  • Being able to show the data burn from "the inside" of a Compound Clip / Multicam Clip

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests