Dolby Vision Profiles 8.1 and 8.2 for HEVC

• Author

Green2000

Dolby Vision Profiles 8.1 and 8.2 for HEVC

PostSun Nov 28, 2021 3:38 pm

Hey, I just got davinci resolve and my main reason was for the dolby vision support - among various other things - and was disappointed I couldn't export a MOV/MP4/MKV in HEVC with dolby vision in one file - which I have seen is possible with some people who have plex servers that have MKV files in HEVC that trigger the dolby vision on LG Oled TV.

After research, the versions I have available to me are profiles 2.9 and 4.0, both of which are more for mastering and sending to netflix or streaming platforms or other professional stuff I'd never use it for. The file sizes would be huge in IMF and the JPEG2000 codec. I'd rather use HEVC.

And after more research I came across what I'd need to do what I want, Dolby Vision profile 8.1 and 8.2 for the HEVC codec in davinci resolve for dolby vision:

8.1 10-bit HEVC No enhancement layer Backwards compatibility HDR10

8.2 10-bit HEVC No enhancement layer Backwards compatibility SDR

(from wikipedia).

So I assume the MKV movies I've seen that support dolby vision in HEVC are using profile 8.2 since when they are viewed on an SDR TV it looks fine with no color shifts from P3/2020.

Is there any chance for getting these dolby vision 8.1 and 8.2 profiles so I can make my own projects in this dolby vision and have it trigger dolby vision on my TVs, and have it all in one file?

Andrew Kolakowski

Re: Dolby Vision Profiles 8.1 and 8.2 for HEVC

PostFri Dec 03, 2021 8:45 pm

About impossible as Resolve uses GPU h265 encoding and there is no DV support there.
DV h265 encoding is quite unique task and needs special tools.
Resolve is still mainly high-end finish tool, so cases as you mentioned are prioritised.

Green2000

PostThu Dec 09, 2021 2:19 am

Doesn't the newest iPhones use this kind of HEVC dolby vision?

Michael Hackl

PostThu Jan 20, 2022 10:36 am

The latest iPhone lineup (12 & 13) use Dolby Vision Profile 8.4 when recording in HDR. You can also encode your content to Profile 8.4 using Apple Compressor.
Dolby Vision 2.9 and 4.0 describe the version of Dolby Vision, whereas Dolby Vision Profiles, like 8.1, 8.4, etc. describe the video codec and set of coding techniques used to encode a Dolby Vision asset.

More info on Dolby Vision can be found here:

https://professionalsupport.dolby.com/s/?language=en_US

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu May 05, 2022 8:05 pm

Exporting h265 DV files is now available in 18.02b (Studio version). Profile 5 (DV without backward compatibility using ICtCp color schema) and profile 8.1 which is HDR10 + Dolby dynamic metadata. If player doesn't support profile 5 you will see strange colors. Profile 8.1 should always work and if no DV capable player then it's basic HDR10.

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests