Window undocking and redocking

• Author

TCP786

Window undocking and redocking

PostSat Dec 04, 2021 10:22 am

It would be awesome* if you could undock the different windows, move them around freely, and also be able to dock them in different places within the main UI. I currently use my second monitor for the video clean feed, because sometimes it's what I want, but the remaining majority of the time it's still preferable to the unchangeable dual screen mode layout.

*How I expect most software to work at this point. (Not trying to say that in a rude way, just saying this behavior is ubiquitous enough that kind of expect it at this point.)

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

Re: Window undocking and redocking

PostSun Dec 05, 2021 8:49 pm

This feature has been requested many many times in the past, it is unlikely that BM is workin on it.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

hopkins802

PostTue Dec 07, 2021 12:40 pm

TCP786 wrote:It would be awesome* if you could undock the different windows, move them around freely, and also be able to dock them in different places within the main UI. I currently use my second monitor for the video clean feed, because sometimes it's what I want, but the remaining majority of the time it's still preferable to the unchangeable dual screen mode layout.

*How I expect most software to work at this point. (Not trying to say that in a rude way, just saying this behavior is ubiquitous enough that kind of expect it at this point.)
This is one of the first things I wanted when I moved to premeire. But I quickly learned from the community that BM had it this way for a reason. It increases UI performance and speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mac Studio M1 Ultra 20C CPU | 64C GPU | 64GB RAM | 1TB SSD
LG 42" OLED C2

TheBloke

PostSat Dec 11, 2021 11:46 am

hopkins802 wrote:But I quickly learned from the community that BM had it this way for a reason. It increases UI performance and speed.
I don't think that's the reason at all. I think someone at BMD just doesn't like customisable UIs.
Resolve Studio 17.4.3 and Fusion Studio 17.4.3 on macOS 11.6.1

Hackintosh:: X299, Intel i9-10980XE, 128GB DDR4, AMD 6900XT 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x2160 & 3 x 1920x1200
Disk: 2TB NVMe + 4TB RAID0 NVMe; NAS: 36TB RAID6
BMD Speed Editor

hopkins802

PostSun Dec 12, 2021 4:56 am

TheBloke wrote:
hopkins802 wrote:But I quickly learned from the community that BM had it this way for a reason. It increases UI performance and speed.
I don't think that's the reason at all. I think someone at BMD just doesn't like customisable UIs.
I don’t believe that’s it. The UI of Premiere is so goddamn sluggish compared to Resolve, Avid or FCP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mac Studio M1 Ultra 20C CPU | 64C GPU | 64GB RAM | 1TB SSD
LG 42" OLED C2

TheBloke

PostSun Dec 12, 2021 8:31 am

hopkins802 wrote:I don’t believe that’s it. The UI of Premiere is so goddamn sluggish compared to Resolve, Avid or FCP.
So you find Avid's UI fast? Because that's fully flexible, right? You can float any pane, choose where to dock it, etc.

If Premiere's UI is slow, it's just because Premiere's UI is slow. There is no fundamental reason why a flexible UI has to be slow. We're nearly in 2022 - modern operating systems and modern computers can handle a flexible UI. And have been able to for a long time.

Fusion 9's UI was fully flexible, and was just as fast as Fusion 16 and 17's, which is now locked down. Pretty much every long-term Fusion user vastly prefers the flexibility of the Fusion 9 UI versus the half-crippled UI that was introduced with Fusion 16 and later. I've heard dozens of Fusion experts complain about the limitations of the Fusion UI from 16 onwards, and I've not heard one say ".. well, at least it's faster though!" It isn't faster, it's just a lot less flexible.
Resolve Studio 17.4.3 and Fusion Studio 17.4.3 on macOS 11.6.1

Hackintosh:: X299, Intel i9-10980XE, 128GB DDR4, AMD 6900XT 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x2160 & 3 x 1920x1200
Disk: 2TB NVMe + 4TB RAID0 NVMe; NAS: 36TB RAID6
BMD Speed Editor

Hendrik Proosa

PostSun Dec 12, 2021 9:25 am

Dockable UI doesn’t change the UI speed one bit, it isn’t constantly redocking itself at 24fps and UI still needs to be drawn as frequently as it needs to, independent of whether tabs and panes can be repositioned or not.
I do stuff

cayubal

PostSun Dec 12, 2021 5:02 pm

I'll just cross my fingers and give this request a +1!! :)

Marc Wielage

PostMon Dec 13, 2021 9:27 am

TCP786 wrote:It would be awesome* if you could undock the different windows, move them around freely, and also be able to dock them in different places within the main UI.

We had this ability in the late 1990s and throughout the 2000s with the original daVinci 2K, which was the essentially hardware version of what Resolve is today. We had multiple desktops, dockable interface panels, and quite a bit of customization. I was told around 2009, "doing that with Resolve would affect performance and cause other issues, so we can't do that." And 2K went away, and we were actually thrilled with a lot of the new features (and much lower cost) of Resolve.

Could they redesign the GUI from scratch and provide that capability? I have no idea. I've moved on and gotten used to the interface we have, and I've gone with two workarounds: 1) I use a dual-screen layout that splits half the pallets to one side and the other half to the other side, and 2) I save Layout Presets to emphasize or deemphasize the specific panels and modes I need to see. For example, for Transcode and Conform situations, I use a completely different Edit layout than I would for normal Editing.

BMD is aware that users have asked for more customization options, but my gut feeling is they have bigger issues they need to solve first, and more pressing features they want to add first. Only they know for sure what could be coming in the future.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

roger.magnusson

PostTue Dec 14, 2021 12:57 am

TheBloke wrote:Fusion 9's UI was fully flexible, and was just as fast as Fusion 16 and 17's, which is now locked down.

When it happened we suddenly knew how Obi-Wan felt.

Hamulus

PostMon Dec 20, 2021 10:35 am

I am waiting for the only this feature to mode to DaVinci Resolve.
Really: I have 3 displays, one ot them is vertical oriented. All programs that I use allow co create multiple windows: Premiere Pro, After effects, Blender, Reaper. And it is very convenient to work with fully custom interface. So I have similar layouts: timeline at left display, all effects and settings windows at center and large preview at right.
I was impressed by possibilites of DaVinci Resolve but I can't use it properly with my display layout.

studio1492

PostTue Dec 21, 2021 11:30 pm

+1 a more customizable GUI has been requested thousands of times to BMD

Docking the scopes while in x2/x4 will be a dream come true. Sadly x2/x4 scopes are only possible undocked on single display systems (lapstop), and that undocked window is always messing around the GUI.
- MBP 14" M1 Pro 16GB, 1TB, 10 core CPU, 16 core GPU.
- Resolve Studio 18.6.4 @ macOS 13.6.2
- Mini Panel v2.0
- Speed Editor (gathering dust until killer custom keys arrive)
- Synology DS218

CyberGolem

PostWed Jan 04, 2023 5:42 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:This feature has been requested many many times in the past, it is unlikely that BM is workin on it.

Nevermind... [SOLVED] I simply reset the UI.

----original query>>

Sadly, I think you're right.

I'm following along a Ripple tutorial about color grading and the instructor has four palettes along the bottom whereas I only have two. Any reason I can't have more along the bottom like his setup? I've poked around but can only find a way to undock a palette.

Diffs are he's in Mac using v17 and I'm Windows 11 using v18.

Mark Foster

PostWed Jan 04, 2023 5:49 pm

don't understand what you need whirring windows for
cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB SSD/4x4TB/7101A 4x2TB 970evo+/HP1344/BMD4k/RadeonVII
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
meike s35 cine 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

Connor H

PostThu Jun 22, 2023 3:52 am

I created this account to ask the same thing. I was absolutely gobsmacked when searching how to do this, with not one answer in Google, only to find it buried in a forum. I can't express just how much this lack of feature deducts from the experience of a program. It's borderline make or break for something editors use all day, and have unique, complicated workflows for. It's either an incredible oversight or they have a good reason they're not divulging, which is just as silly.
And the fact the dual screen option only allows a full screen 2nd monitor, with no way to adjust window size, might be the nail in the coffin. I was really hoping to jump across from Pr, but boy oh boy. We'll see.

Lton85

PostFri Jun 30, 2023 2:15 pm

I'm trying to migrate to Davince but editing video vertically is a pain in the ass for me! the viewing window is small, I can't adjust and reposition otherwise, really a very negative point!

Veja esse exemplo com CAPCUT >>

Marc Wielage

PostSat Jul 01, 2023 6:40 am

CyberGolem wrote:I'm following along a Ripple tutorial about color grading and the instructor has four palettes along the bottom whereas I only have two. Any reason I can't have more along the bottom like his setup? I've poked around but can only find a way to undock a palette.

If you can set the monitor resolution higher, Resolve will provide more palettes and more visible controls than it will at the minimum resolution. I just had a situation this week where I had to temporarily work on a system with a 24" 1920x1080 monitor and lost some control readouts. After a couple of days, I was able to swap out that display with a 27" 2550x1440 monitor, and boom, lots of extra readouts and palettes popped in.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests