Script window for Edit page

• Author

jonathanljs

Script window for Edit page

PostMon Dec 06, 2021 4:21 pm

I make broadcast factual TV, and I would be very interested in having a window on the Edit page that holds the script I'm working on. That way I wouldn't have to keep swapping out of DR into Word or whatever to check and update the script - and ideally it would have the option of syncing it to the edit. So as you scroll through the timeline, the script rolls up and down. This would also be extremely useful for transcribed interviews. Potentially very powerful.

Andy Mees

Re: Script window for Edit page

PostMon Dec 06, 2021 5:11 pm

I made myself a Google Docs extension for Premiere a few years ago for much the same reason, not with deep transcript hooks etc, just a means to incorporate a script panel directly into the app/workspace, was very handy... more recently I simply added a third display to my desk, specifically for scripts, which is even more convenient. Can see why that might not be a realistic option for everybody tho.
If you're technically inclined at all, check out Resolve's Developer documentation, it shouldn't be at all difficult to create a simple bare bones script window plugin... in fact the sample Workflow Integration plugin included in the documentation actually creates a popup window containing a text box that you could just paste your script into. Its a floating window though, so you'd still need some spare display area to keep it.
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

ColinMcT

PostTue Dec 07, 2021 1:11 am

brilliant idea!
DaVinci Resolve Studio 17.4.3
2019 27" iMac 40gig ram
BM Speed Editor
BM Editor Keyboard
Ultrastudio mini 4K
BM Micro Panel

Kenzo

PostTue Dec 07, 2021 2:30 pm

jonathanljs wrote:I make broadcast factual TV, and I would be very interested in having a window on the Edit page that holds the script I'm working on. That way I wouldn't have to keep swapping out of DR into Word or whatever to check and update the script

A simple text window is available, look at Project Notes.

jonathanljs wrote:and ideally it would have the option of syncing it to the edit. So as you scroll through the timeline, the script rolls up and down.

Yes, a solution similar to Avid ScriptSync would be great.
Eryk Rogozinski
www.art-fx.eu

Andy Mees

PostTue Dec 07, 2021 5:36 pm

Kenzo wrote:A simple text window is available, look at Project Notes.
Much better!
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

ColinMcT

PostTue Dec 07, 2021 10:40 pm

jonathanljs wrote:and ideally it would have the option of syncing it to the edit. So as you scroll through the timeline, the script rolls up and down.

Yes, a solution similar to Avid ScriptSync would be great.[/quote]
script sync equivalent would take DR from good for You Tube to great for Feature Film
DaVinci Resolve Studio 17.4.3
2019 27" iMac 40gig ram
BM Speed Editor
BM Editor Keyboard
Ultrastudio mini 4K
BM Micro Panel

PostHyp

PostTue Mar 29, 2022 6:16 pm

I've turned a couple of Avid editors onto Resolve and that's the first thing they ask..."where's the scriptsync"
Agreed it would be a GREAT addition for all.
Yes please!!!
DaVinci Resolve Studio 17.4.6 build 4
Windows 10 Pro
HP z840 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2650 v4 @ 2.20GHz 2.20 GHz (2 processors)
RAM 64GB
Nvidia Quadro P6000
Synology RAID 10gbE

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests