Support of pdf files

• Author

Videoneth

• Warnings: 1

Support of pdf files

PostWed Jan 12, 2022 3:51 pm

I would like to see the support of PDF files (and be able to navigate in the pages of the file).
Fusion can import PSD files and we can select what layer is visible.

I would like to see the same thing for the edit and fusion page for PDF files. We could select which page is shown, and do whatever we want with it as if it was just a simple image.

Text and vector graphics would be treated like what they are and we could zoom on it without losing quality
Windows 10
19b
nVidia 3090 - 552.22

Hataki

Re: Support of pdf files

PostMon Mar 25, 2024 10:59 pm

Videoneth wrote:I would like to see the support of PDF files (and be able to navigate in the pages of the file).
Fusion can import PSD files and we can select what layer is visible.

I would like to see the same thing for the edit and fusion page for PDF files. We could select which page is shown, and do whatever we want with it as if it was just a simple image. Support for PDF files is really important, but I had a harder time with something else, I had to convert a file from PDF to Docx and it turned out to be quite a challenge, many places wanted to charge me a lot of money or the conversion was incomplete, distorted and so on. I didn't even know if I could do it, but then I was told that here https://pdfflex.com/pdf-to-docx is a very convenient service for this. So if you are interested you can also familiarize yourself. I hope that I was able to help and was useful.

Text and vector graphics would be treated like what they are and we could zoom on it without losing quality

I agree, it's really not easy without PDF support.
Last edited by Hataki on Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marc Wielage

PostTue Mar 26, 2024 1:05 am

I don't believe that Baselight, FCPX, Lustre, Mistika, Nucoda, Premiere, or Scratch can handle PDFs either. To me, that's just a document format, not a graphics format.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Cre8iveMedia

PostTue Mar 26, 2024 8:06 am

+1 great for voice-over presentations
Resolve Studio 19b
Speed Editor
Micro Panel
UltraStudio 4K Mini
UltraStudio Monitor 3G (Mac Studio M2 DVR)
UltraStudio Recorder 3G (Mac Mini M2 Omniscopes)
Mac Studio M2, Studio M1, Mini M2, Air M2
Mac OS 14.4.1
Sony FX3, A7iv, A7iii

Videoneth

PostTue Mar 26, 2024 2:49 pm

Marc Wielage wrote: I don't believe that Baselight, FCPX, Lustre, Mistika, Nucoda, Premiere, or Scratch can handle PDFs either. To me, that's just a document format, not a graphics format.

What do you mean by "not a graphics" format? Image editors can open and export to pdfs.

Yes, it's often called a PDF "document." And a document is just a "file." A document is a general term that can be used for any piece of information. 

I still remember when printers were only accepting QuarkXPress files.

PDF exists because people need to be able to share/print/display images, text, or both as how they appear on their own screen. No weird stuff going on with fonts, etc. And being able to work with different software, not locked down with one.

It's literally just like a container. And it works pretty well. Especially with text, that can be said without losing quality.

What matters: I would like to be able to display this piece of text, image, or pie chart in our video (which is a "document" by itself too) without having to export an already well-formed file into an inferior version of the same file. Become a flattened version that can be called without losing quality when enlarged in Resolve.

We can open PSD files in Resolve and move layers around. Or should people have to export each piece of a PSD document in JPG? Or even better, since Resolve is a "video" editing program, we shouldn't be able to use a file that doesn't contain multiple image frames in a row that are displayed at a certain rate? - (It's just very light sarcasm, btw, not meant to be mean or anything).

But I think we really need to stop focusing on "file formats" that are not suitable to be opened with Resolve, just because of the file format itself, while omitting that their content is, 98% of the time, used in the production of videos.

It was the same type of discussion with the MKV container in the past. The best container out there.

Of course, it's not possible to include every single file format that exists, but PDF has been pretty much a standard for decades now. Tons of people are using research papers in their videos. - I had to do this in the past: include parts of PDF files in videos. It's really a pain to do. It's honestly a waste of time.
Windows 10
19b
nVidia 3090 - 552.22

Videoneth

PostTue Mar 26, 2024 2:52 pm

Cre8iveMedia wrote:+1 great for voice-over presentations

Yep, tons of videos including research papers, etc. are made and posted every day.
On YouTube, documentariers, in professional settings.

Having to export 10-20 pages in PNG or JPG is a pain, or having to crop out tons of little element here and there, export them, then import them in Resolve.... just to realize that one of your cropped text (out of 10,30, 50) is not good, so you have to find the part again, export again,...over and over and over, depending on the size of the document you need to include in the video.

That's hours wasted.
Windows 10
19b
nVidia 3090 - 552.22

Marc Wielage

PostWed Mar 27, 2024 8:41 am

Videoneth wrote:What do you mean by "not a graphics" format? Image editors can open and export to pdfs.

It's a document format, it's not a graphic element format. Huge difference, Again: show me another editing program in the world that can import a PDF.

To me, if the PDF exists, that means it was created in a document layout program like inDesign or Photoshop or something like that. That would mean the actual graphic elements -- the TIFF files, the PNGs, even JPGs that are embedded in the document -- should be available. And I would bet those individual elements will work a lot better in a video presentation, film, short, or TV show.

Explain to me how you'd import a PDF document into a video editing session and make it work for the show. Maybe I'm confused here.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Andy Mees

PostWed Mar 27, 2024 9:59 am

If you're on a Mac, if I remember correctly, good old FCP Classic could (to some degree) import and use PDF files directly in the timeline, don't know about FCPX... meanwhile, FxFactory's "PDF Animator" plugin was a great option back when I was Mac based and working in Premiere.

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests