Fairlight style Track Selection in the Edit Page

• Author

Andy Mees

Fairlight style Track Selection in the Edit Page

PostSun Jan 16, 2022 3:39 pm

Feature:
In an ideal world (or any world where I get to decide Davinci Resolve Edit Page functions!) I'd like to see a really clean, simple and visible ad-hoc Track Selection function added to the Edit Page Timeline.

Usage:
In use, I would see this working in the same manner as the existing track selection function in the Fairlight Page, which is both quick and easy to operate (click anywhere in the track's header area, or depending on current tool/mode, anywhere in the track) and which provides an immediate clear visual indication of the track's selection status (the selected track is highlighted).

Such selection would be used for ad-hoc track targeting operations such as 'Paste' and 'Select Clips Forward On This Track' etc. Only applicable to specific edit operations, it would augment existing track targeting methods, meaning it would take precedence when set, but targeting would fall back to existing methods if not set.

Advantages:
At present, in the Edit Page, track targeting is handled in the main by a couple of different track header controls, being the Track Destination controls and the Auto Track Selector controls. But manipulation of the destination controls is entirely dictated by whatever is currently in the Source Viewer, meaning some edit operations that are entirely unconnected to the contents of the Source Viewer (eg the Select Clips Forward On This Track function) are wholly constrained by its contents. Meanwhile, the excellent and all powerful Auto Track Selector button, can be a potential time bomb to the unwary editor. If left improperly set, after just a few edits, a complex timeline can become quite a nightmare to fix. Yet, simultaneously powerful and potentially destructive, for some reason it's actually the least visible status button in the track header area. Everything else lights up or clearly dims the track etc but the Auto Track Selector provides just a muted on/off switch. This isn't a rant against the Auto Track Selector though, the Auto Track Selector is great, and proper educated use of tools should be a baseline expectation, but that said, I do think there's room for an alternative and simpler targeting method that is entirely independent of what is, or is not, in the Source Viewer. For me, bringing the really clean, simple and visible track selection functionality from the Fairlight Page to the Edit Page could fit that bill.

EDIT: And while we're at it, could we maybe bring over the Range Selection and Edit Selection tools/modes too?

Cheers
Andy
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

Joe Shapiro

Re: Fairlight style Track Selection in the Edit Page

PostSun Aug 07, 2022 6:31 pm

+1
What he said!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

Steve Alexander

PostSun Aug 07, 2022 9:24 pm

Very well worded request - sounds like a very useful idea as well.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

Norbert339

PostMon Feb 12, 2024 3:23 pm

+1

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests