Suggestion: Better speed ramping and presets in Davinci

• Author

noahthanks

Suggestion: Better speed ramping and presets in Davinci

PostSun Apr 24, 2022 10:45 am

Hello, not sure where to post this but hopefully this is the right place.

I made the full switch to Davinci and love it.

One thing I really hate though is the retime speed interface. There are tons of social media videographers now that heavily rely on speed ramping for cool effects. It may not be used a lot in cinematic film, but there are a lot of users that only use speed ramping in videos, like me.

Every time I want to speed ramp a clip, I have to:
Right click on clip>Retime controls>Right click on clip>Retime curve>Click dropdown>Retime speed>Add speed point where I want>Click speed point keyframe>Change to curve (For every single speed point too)

Overall, this is an extremely slow process with so many extra clicks.

Premiere isn't great for speed ramping but it is even much better than Davinci's.

I believe Final cut has the most user friendly and fast speed ramp design.

Ways to improve Davinci's speed ramping.
-PRESETS!!! I would love to save a retime speed layout, similar to a powergrade in the color tab. Powergrades are one of my favorite features in Davinci. This would be an absolute killer feature for me personally. A drop down menu for saved presets would be great. Davinci already has 2 presets (up from 0% and down from 0%,) but they aren't very useful. This is where I think presets should go.
-Option to always open retime curve, check retime speed automatically every time you open retime controls.
-Option to make speed point a curve instead of having to check curve each time. Like, alt/command click on add speed point to add it as a curve instead of as a hard line.
-Ability to make speed points the moving part of speed changes. Similar to the InShot photo below. You add a speed point with a curve>Drag it up and it has a smooth roll off. This takes seconds to do and works very well in phone apps. The way it is now with dragging the line is not user friendly at all.

I'm sure a lot of people don't care about this feature, but it's something I think people would love having an upgrade to.

Have to open this every single time instead of it being together. If I turn on retime controls, retime curve and retime speed should be turned on automatically. Or have a setting to link together.

Doing speed ramps like this take a very long time in davinci.

Adding the ability to control/alt click on the bottom part of this speed point and drag to make it a gradual curve would be helpful too.

Davinci already has presets for speed ramping. But they aren't customizable and aren't something particularly useful. It takes longer to fix a up from 0% speed ramp than to do it manually. I think it would be easy to add a preset function right here.

I love editing on my phone too because it's so fast. InShot's curves and presets are a huge time saver. Having something like this is so user friendly. Beginners are intimidated by Davinci's complicated interface. I know speed ramping was something that turned me away from Davinci when I first tried it. Davinci has multiple ways to do everything you want to do. An easy mode like this would be awesome. I would add curve control points to this and it would be amazing (Click on the speed point and the bars come out to change the curve.)

noahthanks

Re: Suggestion: Better speed ramping and presets in Davinci

PostMon Jul 18, 2022 9:25 pm

+1
When I am 50, I will look back and realize how many hours of my life davinci has stolen with this retime speed design :roll:

Please fix!

Joe Shapiro

PostTue Jul 19, 2022 5:54 am

Always nice to see other successful interfaces and flatter them by imitating what’s appropriate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 19b2
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.4.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

Ellory Yu

PostTue Jul 19, 2022 6:06 am

Thanks for requesting this feature. I want it too. Now when this is going to be on their radar is the unknown variable, or not.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

deemzer

PostTue Jul 19, 2022 4:32 pm

+1

noahthanks

PostFri Jul 22, 2022 5:59 am

Yes many people complain about Davinci's speed ramping but they haven't addressed it at all. It's extremely dated compared to other systems :(

Mart_Williams

PostSun Jul 24, 2022 1:34 pm

+1 here too.

Resolve's retime is embarrassing, so slow and painful to use. It is wasting hours of my time every week since I produce many vids full of speed ramping for the work I do. I've been asking and waiting in vain for years for Davinci to fix this mess.

As the original poster asks for, some presets such as bell curves, drop 3 keyframes on the retime curve and pull up the middle for a perfect bell curve - this isn't rocket surgery; I don't know why it is beyond Davinci to implement, and they can't be ignorant of it since I know I've asked for it here multiple times already! Currently, you have to drop 2 keyframes onto the regime curve, pull up the middle section to create a squared-off upturned U, then click a keyframe and then the ease in/out icon and then do the same for the next, then go and click the keyframe again to active the handles, then click the handle (then the next) to pull out the handle and properly smooth out the ease in/out. This is a mess just for one speed ramp; imagine if you have 30 odd or more to do, it gets tedious very quickly!

And why can't we select more than 1 keyframe? Would be nice to select multiple ones and change them from or to ease in/out; we can already do that with other attributes. And while we're on that subject, why can't we have the default as ease in/out or have it as an option?

The retime curve has all the hallmarks of a rushed first-time effort that was pushed out and then forgotten about. It seriously needs some love as it could be so much better.

Vojta Filipi

PostTue Jul 26, 2022 1:31 pm

+1

SteveDGreen

PostSun Jul 31, 2022 10:04 am

+1

I've just been trying some retimes this morning, and was surprised how basic it is considering how impressed I've been with the rest of Resolve

Even a simple thing like like custom speeds in the presets would be something, but an overhaul of this as described above would be great

Thanks,

Steve

Eddy Juillerat

PostThu Sep 15, 2022 9:21 am

The Retime Speed option (little white arrow under the clip, left side) opens a curve. We can move the control point in time left and right but also we can drag the curve itself up and down, making the speed change progressively and stretching the end of the clip automatically.

The Retime Frame offers the possibility to progressively slow down the clip, but at the expense of the footage limit. It takes out the end of it, so if the portion of the clip you want is at the end, you lose it.
Cameras: [BMPCC4K - Panasonic Lumix lenses] - [BMCC 2,5K EF - Sigma EX lenses]
System: Windows 10 pro 64 bits SSD - 5.1 - Resolve 18.5
Asus board X99-s - Intel Core i7-5960x 3 GHz - RAM 32 GB - MSI GeForce RTX 2060 VENTUS GP OC (6 Go)

Feynmanrenders

PostWed Feb 15, 2023 7:22 pm

+1 It is definitely more of a chore than a creative process currently - at least for me. Would love having better controls here as well.

Thijs van Daalen

PostFri Oct 06, 2023 12:25 pm

+1 Speed ramping is such a pain in Resolve. Just spend 30 minutes ramping 4 clips whereas in other applications this would only take me 5 minutes.
Dell Precision 3660
12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900K | 3.20 GHz | 32,0 GB
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
Windows 11 Pro
Resolve 18.6

Lucas D.

PostFri Oct 06, 2023 8:44 pm

Ramping process could be improved for offline creators.

When comes to matching a timewarp during online to a one that's been made in offline the entire process is a complete joke/useless.
When I try to match timewarp effect in timeline, I think "resolve programmers are ONLY thinking about creating not matching"

Go ahead make a timewarp with various ramps, and create a file.
Next try to match to your own work and be dead on match.
Matching process is a nightmare. :oops:
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64
Version 22H2
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X 8cores @ 3.6 GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 3080ti
48.0 GB of RAM
Resolve Studio v19 Beta1

infinityphotorob

PostWed Dec 27, 2023 9:10 pm

I would love to have easy controls or set defaults for ease in and out. The abrupt default is not so hot. If you zoom, move position and ramp speed each "axis" needs to be selected and modified vs a select all and smooth option. Another cool ramp feature might be with scrubbing. I always look at ramps scrubbing back and forth. Imagine if we could record that motion and drop keyframes with scrubbing. That would be ground breaking. And then make the points easily editable in a spline section sort of like fusion. It is a disappointment that Filmora on my phone makes easier speed ramps.

tugoose

PostSat Feb 24, 2024 3:51 pm

2 years and still nothing. Ouch.

Boekk_Resolve

PostMon Apr 29, 2024 8:50 pm

Is this option available yet?
Windows 10 Enterprise - i7-7960X 2.8GHz 64GB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti (11GB)
Blackmagic DaVinci Resolve Studio 19 Public Beta 2 - Speed Editor

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests