Davinci Resolve Cut Page for Ipad

• Author

eh3869

Davinci Resolve Cut Page for Ipad

PostWed May 11, 2022 8:45 pm

It would be great if BlackMagic Design created a Davinci Resolve Cut Page app for Ipad. I think this would be a game changer in using Daviinic editing workflow. I am thinking you could do a quick edit of clips and be able to save the project and send it to the Desktop version will you would be able to add the finishing touches to it with Fusion or Color Correction and Color Grading. I think this would be great.

Marc Wielage

Re: Davinci Resolve Cut Page for Ipad

PostThu May 12, 2022 7:15 am

eh3869 wrote:It would be great if BlackMagic Design created a Davinci Resolve Cut Page app for Ipad. I think this would be a game changer in using Daviinic editing workflow.

Note that there's no iPad version of Adobe Premiere or even Apple's Final Cut Pro -- they're harder to code for a limited device like iPad than you might think.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Jim Simon

PostThu May 12, 2022 3:50 pm

Doing this job on a Laptop is less then ideal, using a tablet even less so.

For this work, a desktop is the best option.

I vote no.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

AndrewKeil

PostFri May 20, 2022 1:46 pm

Note that there's no iPad version of Adobe Premiere or even Apple's Final Cut Pro -- they're harder to code for a limited device like iPad than you might think.

Not true, Premiere Rush has been on iPad since 2018, then there's iMovie which despite being a very basic consumer app does count considering its project files are transferrable to FCP. Yes these are very stripped down versions of desktop apps, but then so would a cut page only version of Resolve be. Also apps like Lumafusion have proved it's possible to have a more fully featured NLE on iPadOS.

An iPad being limited might have been true years ago, but for some time they've been capable of connecting to external storage and displaying on secondary monitors along with Keyboard, mouse and trackpad support. Most importantly Macs and iPads share the same chipset so the issue of coding isn't as much of a road block as it was before. A current iPad Pro is an incredibly powerful machine with a great display.

I can see how an iPad app could be useful for on the go use, smaller content creators or as an entry point for students new to editing.

The shift towards cloud based workflows means we should be open to the idea of moving Resolve beyond more traditional platforms.

So yes a desktop may be the best option, but we don't all have the luxury of the best option at all times.

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostMon May 23, 2022 1:45 pm

If I have to choose, no.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Phil999

PostSat May 28, 2022 5:17 pm

Jim Simon wrote:Doing this job on a Laptop is less then ideal, using a tablet even less so.

For this work, a desktop is the best option.

I vote no.

while I agree, a laptop is the only option when away from the studio. I also vote no, because I use my iPad, or even several iPads, for other tasks, mainly the Tangent element-Vs app for colour correction.

It makes so much sense to get the Speed Editor. It is not expensive, works with Bluetooth, and makes working in the Cut Page so much easier. Recently I lost my Speed Editor in a fire accident. After that, the first thing I ordered was a Speed Editor. I can't really imagine working without it anymore.

I recommend to use the iPad for element-Vs or ONE Control, and just buy this Speed Editor.

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests