Realistic "video compression damage" effect

• Author

Videoneth

• Warnings: 1

Realistic "video compression damage" effect

PostSat May 21, 2022 3:36 pm

I would like to see something similar as "JPEG Damage", but looking more like "video compression" blocks. For mor realistic compositing (I often have to match the compression of original footage)
Windows 10
19b
nVidia 3090 - 552.22

Alex=Alex

Re: Realistic "video compression damage" effect

PostSun May 22, 2022 1:00 am

You could export the footage in mp4 or another compressed format at a lower size, then bring it back in.
Matching the damage from other clips also confuses me, Why not get higher quality clips? Or is the damage look what you are going for?
Inside the box? I didn't know about any box...

Videoneth

PostSun May 22, 2022 11:31 am

Alex=Alex wrote:Matching the damage from other clips also confuses me, Why not get higher quality clips? Or is the damage look what you are going for?

Because sometimes you don't have a choice ;) You work with what you get.

When I do visual effects, I want to be the most integrated possible, as if it's part of the original footage (that can be super compressed, or not). I use the JPEG damage effect integrated in Resolve, but it doesn't have the same characteristics as glitches or "blocking" of a compressed mp4.

And sometimes I need to have very clean footage to look like it was recorded on a potato.

But yeah I would like to have more "native" effects in Resolve, and if there is a JPEG damage, I think that a realistic video compression damage effect has its place (with the glitches too, not just the level of compression).

And for your suggestion, yeah lol of course i could do that :D,... then if it doesn't work well, re-render it again with new settings, and again lol.

Filming an old tv playing something to get the "organic" scanlines and old tv "effect" is not always possible, so instead an integrated plugin

The feature request is to have more tools in my/our tools kit
Windows 10
19b
nVidia 3090 - 552.22

Phil999

PostSat May 28, 2022 5:29 pm

such effects are available in the Sapphire and Boris Continuum bundle. I don't believe BMD will include such less used effects; that's what the plugin companies are for.

Videoneth

PostSun May 29, 2022 12:36 am

Phil999 wrote:such effects are available in the Sapphire and Boris Continuum bundle. I don't believe BMD will include such less used effects; that's what the plugin companies are for.

I don't really get the point of your comment.
It is just a feature request to get along the "jpeg damage" effect.
Windows 10
19b
nVidia 3090 - 552.22

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests