Make audio looping in fairlight simple

• Author

breadman6

Make audio looping in fairlight simple

PostThu May 26, 2022 8:53 am

Watch this tutorial and tell me audio looping in fairlight isn't convoluted as all get out. As it stands you need to turn on the loop button, select the looping portion, then hit alt /. And it still didn't work on my mac.

please fix.

Phil999

Re: Make audio looping in fairlight simple

PostSat May 28, 2022 5:01 pm

interesting, just today I had this problem, I was unable to loop a portion of the timeline. However, after consulting the reference manual, it became clear.

1. select in and out point
2. initiate loop with ctrl / (Windows) or command / (Apple), or click the loop button
3. start looping playback with alt /

Using the normal playback controls (space key, play button, external controller) do not result in looping playback. One has to press alt and /. If one has an external controller, like a 3dx device, or an iPad app, a shortcut can be created. I recommend the iPad app 'ONE Control Plus'.

Tekkerue

PostSat May 28, 2022 8:34 pm

Not just Fairlight, but the Edit page too.

Looping is yet another simple task that I had to google to figure out because the standard select a range, enable looping, and press play/spacebar didn't work. I really wish Resolve would stop making simple tasks so unintuitive.
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700 CPU 3.20GHz
MOBO: ASUS PRIME Z370-A
Graphics: Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Yeah, I know!)
Audio: Audient iD14 USB Interface
Storage: Seagate SATA HDD

breadman6

PostSun May 29, 2022 10:45 am

Tekkerue wrote:Not just Fairlight, but the Edit page too.

Looping is yet another simple task that I had to google to figure out because the standard select a range, enable looping, and press play/spacebar didn't work. I really wish Resolve would stop making simple tasks so unintuitive.

Yes, it is completely unintuitive, and I had to do the same thing. In fact, the 'Play In to Out' which is the 'Option /' in the procedure (and I had to figure that out) was not set by default. So, I was scratching my head for awhile. The sheer amount of non-intuitive features in resolve has caused me to rage quit a number of times and grab a beer. The learning curve is steep.

Tekkerue

PostSun May 29, 2022 3:47 pm

breadman6 wrote:The sheer amount of non-intuitive features in resolve has caused me to rage quit a number of times and grab a beer.

LOL I know what you mean, I have a strong love-hate relationship with Resolve. I love the results I'm able to get and the quality is fantastic, but the process of getting there is very frustrating. It feels like Resolve is fighting me the entire time do to poor implementation of simple features or lacking them completely.

The learning curve is steep.

I have no problem with steep learning curves, but even after I've learned how Resolve does certain tasks, I often don't like it in comparison to other editors I've used. It feels like Resolve learned to run before it could crawl. It has all these incredible AI features that feel like magic and make complex tasks like rotoscoping very simple, yet when it comes to basic tasks (like looping) it is very uintuitive requires more unnecessary steps.

As much as I love these advanced features, the basics have to be really solid as well.

Jim Simon

PostMon May 30, 2022 6:07 pm

Tekkerue wrote:the standard select a range, enable looping, and press play/spacebar didn't work.
I think that's because there's more than one Play Around/To option, so each has it's own command/shortcut.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

okiewardoyo

PostTue May 31, 2022 3:55 pm

+1
Begin using Resolve in Mon May 02, 2022.
All of Software in the world are just tools. No perfect Software. Use it if it works for you.
Resolve 18.6 | Raizen 7, 40Gb Ram, RTX 3060, Win 11

Tekkerue

PostWed Jun 01, 2022 1:50 am

Jim Simon wrote:I think that's because there's more than one Play Around/To option, so each has it's own command/shortcut.

Sure, I have no problem with multiple options and additional shortcuts. But when looping is enabled the normal play (with spacebar) should follow basic looping behavior by looping back to the start of the range when it reaches the end instead of ignoring it continuing to play past the end of the range. That makes absolutely no sense. If I've enabled looping and created a range, then I obviously want to loop over that region without having to use some other key combination because the standard play doesn't work. Spacebar is ingrained in my muscle memory after over 20 years editing audio in DAWs and it's a natural reflex for me, not Alt+/? :?

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests