Allow multiple Timeline grade versions

• Author

Robert Arnold

Allow multiple Timeline grade versions

PostTue Nov 29, 2022 7:41 pm

Since many of us create a film's look at the Timeline level, why not allow us to have multiple versions of the Timeline grade? That way we could (more) easily set up multiple potential looks to show to a client and try out new alternate timeline-wide looks without having to manage them with a bunch of stills.

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

Re: Allow multiple Timeline grade versions

PostFri Dec 02, 2022 5:57 am

make multiple branches at the timeline level connected to a final blank node all to a layer mixer: whatever node you leave on is the branch that wins and you can easily show multiple looks....
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

mattfezz

PostFri Dec 02, 2022 6:29 am

Robert Arnold wrote:Since many of us create a film's look at the Timeline level, why not allow us to have multiple versions of the Timeline grade? That way we could (more) easily set up multiple potential looks to show to a client and try out new alternate timeline-wide looks without having to manage them with a bunch of stills.

you can do timeline mode versions already? For some reason hotkeys/panel buttons don't work to switch to next/previous and split screen (versions) doesn't work - but you can make them and switch between them manually from the menu.
Mac Pro 7,1 | 3.2Ghz 16 Core | 192GB RAM | Radeon Pro Vega II Duo, Radeon RX 6900XT | Ultrastudio 4K Mini
macOS 14.3.1 | Resolve Studio 18.6.5 | Desktop Video 12.3.1

Robert Arnold

PostSat Dec 03, 2022 6:03 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:make multiple branches at the timeline level connected to a final blank node all to a layer mixer: whatever node you leave on is the branch that wins and you can easily show multiple looks....

That is a great workaround! It would still be nice to just have versions, though.

mattfezz

PostTue Dec 06, 2022 9:38 pm

Robert Arnold wrote:
waltervolpatto wrote:make multiple branches at the timeline level connected to a final blank node all to a layer mixer: whatever node you leave on is the branch that wins and you can easily show multiple looks....

That is a great workaround! It would still be nice to just have versions, though.

I'm confused though, you can have versions of timeline grades? I use them all the time.
Mac Pro 7,1 | 3.2Ghz 16 Core | 192GB RAM | Radeon Pro Vega II Duo, Radeon RX 6900XT | Ultrastudio 4K Mini

Marc Wielage

PostWed Dec 07, 2022 7:47 am

mattfezz wrote:I'm confused though, you can have versions of timeline grades? I use them all the time.

Naw, I just tried it and there is no Versioning with the Timeline grade. You can of course have different version of Clip grades.

Me personally, I think Timeline grades are a last resort, and I use them only for something like a global size change or letterboxing or something like that. I think you can get better results with a large Fixed Node Tree, and just reserve 3 or 4 nodes for special functions... like a global look that needs multiple versions. The other way to go would be to just use a Group Grade for that, do the grade as a Post-Clip correction, and then use a different one when you need to change it. It's a very powerful feature.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

mattfezz

PostWed Dec 07, 2022 8:46 am

Marc Wielage wrote:
mattfezz wrote:I'm confused though, you can have versions of timeline grades? I use them all the time.

Naw, I just tried it and there is no Versioning with the Timeline grade. You can of course have different version of Clip grades.

Me personally, I think Timeline grades are a last resort, and I use them only for something like a global size change or letterboxing or something like that. I think you can get better results with a large Fixed Node Tree, and just reserve 3 or 4 nodes for special functions... like a global look that needs multiple versions. The other way to go would be to just use a Group Grade for that, do the grade as a Post-Clip correction, and then use a different one when you need to change it. It's a very powerful feature.

so weird - it works on my system! :o screen shot attached.

Note only switching versions is possible by clicking on the thumbnail and loading the other versions. creating new ones can be done with shortcuts but cannot switch them - this would be great to change so it is consistent with clip versions.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-12-07 at 7.44.30 pm.png
Screen Shot 2022-12-07 at 7.44.30 pm.png (804.06 KiB) Viewed 560 times

Andrew Revvo

PostWed Dec 07, 2022 4:38 pm

I create grading using Post Group Clip most time. The timeline nodes are empty all the tine, because we often have titles and another graphic that should not be colored.

But because I prefer Group Post Clip, it is useless to use versions.

So multiple versions should be on an every side, not in a clip or on a timeline level.

But, Group Post Clip is also a wrong idea for grading, because it is global for all timelines.

We just need another Post Clip for grading reason that is related to the timeline only

Robert Arnold

PostWed Dec 07, 2022 9:56 pm

mattfezz wrote:
Marc Wielage wrote:

so weird - it works on my system! :o screen shot attached.

Note only switching versions is possible by clicking on the thumbnail and loading the other versions. creating new ones can be done with shortcuts but cannot switch them - this would be great to change so it is consistent with clip versions.

Wow, you are absolutely right! I wonder when they added that.

Tom Early

PostWed Dec 07, 2022 11:05 pm

Robert Arnold wrote:Wow, you are absolutely right! I wonder when they added that.

Many years ago, it's in 12.5 so at least since then
MBP2021 M1 Max 64GB, macOS 14.4, Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.7

Robert Arnold

PostMon Dec 12, 2022 7:17 pm

I've been using Resolve since version 7, so sometimes I miss when something has changed! I'm glad to know it's in there now. I hope they fix the little functional inconsistencies.

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests