Backup Cloud to Local + Fail Gracefully

• Author

Luke Holzmann

Backup Cloud to Local + Fail Gracefully

PostThu Dec 08, 2022 1:39 pm

We switched to Blackmagic Cloud to make it easier to handle collaborative work. Super amazing! However, we had spotty internet for a while, and so Cloud was not always accessible. This led to two intimately related requests:

1. Can we have an easier way, from the web-based Cloud interface, to download an export of the project? This way, even if we lose connection at our editing location, we could go somewhere else with internet and download the project file to restore to local.

2. Even better: I would love Cloud to "fail gracefully" by, say, updating a local copy of the project database as we work. I get that there may be performance issues if it's constantly trying to do that -- saves are just a tad slower over the internet/Cloud than they are when working locally, naturally -- but it'd be great if we could get something that writes a backup here and there. I get that reality is far more complicated than my idea, but I'd appreciate some kind of magic here [smile].

Thank you!

~Luke

P.S. When the internet went down, I was able to go to a location with internet, install Resolve, connect to the Cloud, load the project, export it from within Resolve, drop it onto a portable hard drive, and bring it back to our edit bays. But that was a lot of hoops to jump through when I expected there to be a simple "download project backup" button or something within Cloud. Did I overlook that button?
Studio 18.6.4 build 6 | Windows 10 Pro | Driver 551.23 Studio

WORK
1. 2080Ti; Ryzen 9 3900X; 32GB
2. 3080; Ryzen 9 5950X; 64GB
Blackmagic Cloud; Media NAS; M.2 Boot

HOME
1080Ti; Threadripper 1950X; 32GB
Media 7200; M.2 Boot

Ludek Lazarczyk

Re: Backup Cloud to Local + Fail Gracefully

PostSun Feb 05, 2023 9:00 am

I'd love it if the project actually ran locally and only a kind of "backup" was uploaded to cloud behind the scenes. That way the saving would be faster, any internet problems wouldn't interfere with saving or even opening those.
I do get tho that it may not be simple to do that especially with collaborative workflows.

Riclun

Re: Backup Cloud to Local + Fail Gracefully

PostThu Apr 27, 2023 3:33 am

Yes but how do you restore a project that is being live saved but is stored in the cloud to allow for collaboration? Because when I right click in the project manager and choose the Backups option, the list is empty. There is no backup file. There is no live backup restore. If live backup is so great, how do I restore from it. Preferably without having to read for another 3 hours on the internet. I don't have time for this.

I'm posting this everywhere because I can't find anyplace to ask or talk about this.

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests