Speed Editor/Cut Page improvements

• Author

kerdosmedia

Speed Editor/Cut Page improvements

PostThu Jan 19, 2023 6:46 pm

Hi,

I mainly use Davinci Resolve and the Speed Editor for real estate videos. There's a lot of repetition and the Cut Page and Speed Editor help out a lot but there are some improvements that would greatly improve my workflow. If there's anyway to do this currently please let me know.

1. Clip Markers shown on the timeline. This would have a huge impact on my productivity. I can probably come up with a workaround to put the markers on the timeline but that's a little messy and not as flexible. If there's an easy way to copy markers from a clip to a timeline please let me know.

2. Option to Trim/Slip based on selected clip If I could keep the playhead over a clip, and trim end would adjust the end of that clip and trim in would adjust the in of the clip I'm over that would help alot. It's also very confusing because this is how it works on the Edit Page. Slip Src should slip the previous clip, slip destination the current clip.

3. Trim to Playhead Double tap Trim In/Out to trim to the playhead. I could do Split, Scroll to the side, Ripple Delete but....

4. Ripple Delete This seems like a a bug. If you have a locked background music channel and you try to do a ripple delete on a video clip over it, it leaves a gap where the clip was and doesn't move the following clips to the left.

5. Clip Speed Clip speed on the cut page is not a percent. For 20% speed increase you would put 1.2. On the Edit page you enter 120%. There's a lot of little inconsistencies throughout the software between the different pages that are annoying. It's important to keep things consistent.
Last edited by kerdosmedia on Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

parenglund

Re: Speed Editor/Cut Page improvements

PostMon Jan 23, 2023 9:49 am

+1 on trim to playhead.

A lot of people is suggesting improvements for the speed editor but Black Magic doesn't seem to listen. Please provide an update to speed editor software so we can finally customize/map the keys.

SkierEvans

PostMon Jan 23, 2023 1:00 pm

For number 1 I can double tap the audio level/mark button and can set a mark on the timeline and select color.

Slip trim used to work so I think is a bug in current versions. Does not work on either my PC or Mac
In fact none of those clip controls work now.

Number 4 is not likely to change as the CUT page is set up to maintain timeline length so if you have an audio track locked it will define length so will not change.

I am on the latest version of Resolve and Speed Editor firmware.
Threadripper 1920, Gigabyte X399 DESIGNARE EX, 32G RAM, Gigabyte 4070Ti 12G, ASUS PB328Q, IP4K, WIN10 Pro 22H2, Speed Editor

Resolve Studio 19, EDIUS 9WG,EDIUS X WG, Vegas 18

Studio Max M1 24 core GPU, 32G, 1T drive. iPad Pro 12.9` M2 16G, 1T

kerdosmedia

PostMon Jan 23, 2023 4:46 pm

SkierEvans wrote:For number 1 I can double tap the audio level/mark button and can set a mark on the timeline and select color.

I'm not trying to mark the timeline in the Cut Page. I want to add a music file that already has clip markers to the timeline and I want to see those clip markers in the Cut Page.
Slip trim used to work so I think is a bug in current versions. Does not work on either my PC or Mac In fact none of those clip controls work now.

Trim and Slip works fine for me and they work as described in the manual. My issue is I don't like how the trim/slip point is chosen. I like how it works better in the Edit Page over the cut page. Honestly my 1,2 and 4 suggestions work how I want in the Edit page. If they just put a Source Tape view in the edit page I'd be happy. Is there a way to do that now?
Number 4 is not likely to change as the CUT page is set up to maintain timeline length so if you have an audio track locked it will define length so will not change.

This is not my experience, many operations change the timeline length and doing this on the edit page the behavior is how I want it to be.
parenglund wrote:A lot of people is suggesting improvements for the speed editor but Black Magic doesn't seem to listen. Please provide an update to speed editor software so we can finally customize/map the keys.

:( It's very confusing to have the same tool act differently within the same software. Decreases my productivity greatly.

SkierEvans

PostMon Jan 23, 2023 5:12 pm

This is a video of how it should work. At the moment on either my PC or Mac none of the trim controls work at all.
Threadripper 1920, Gigabyte X399 DESIGNARE EX, 32G RAM, Gigabyte 4070Ti 12G, ASUS PB328Q, IP4K, WIN10 Pro 22H2, Speed Editor

SkierEvans

PostMon Jan 23, 2023 5:47 pm

I have found the problem for me. The clips " V " indicator needs to be visible in the lower timeline for the controls to work. I am sure it was not this way before. So just being over a clip is not sufficient the cursor has to be such that in the lower timeline the clip limit is visible. Agree this does not appear to be true on the EDIT page. So have mine working now but not the way I would like either.

kerdosmedia

PostWed Jan 25, 2023 12:47 am

SkierEvans wrote:This is a video of how it should work. At the moment on either my PC or Mac none of the trim controls work at all.

I'm sorry you are having problems with the speed editor but this doesn't have anything to do with what I'm asking for. It's probably best if you start your own thread with the issues you're having.

kerdosmedia

PostThu Aug 03, 2023 1:40 am

ok. I see now that my request 3 Trim to Playhead has been implemented in the cut page. There's resize, ripple and roll start to playhead. Any chance we can get a double tap on Trim Start and Trim End on the Speed Editor to do the Roll start/end to playhead? That would be awesome.

Wouter Verwijlen

PostThu Aug 03, 2023 8:42 am

Great idea! +1 for double tap on Trim In/Out buttons to ripple to playhead.

Kye Leslie

PostFri Aug 04, 2023 12:19 am

kerdosmedia wrote:4. Ripple Delete This seems like a a bug. If you have a locked background music channel and you try to do a ripple delete on a video clip over it, it leaves a gap where the clip was and doesn't move the following clips to the left.

I haven't used SE in Cut page for a while but the behaviour when there's multiple audio tracks was what stopped me using it.
In addition to the above issue, which was a pain, I also found bugs where splitting a clip would split the music as well, even if you locked the track the music was on. I think the functionality of the Cut page wasn't sufficiently tested with multiple audio tracks, perhaps.
It seems odd to me though, as a the Cut page would be used for "simple" edits, and I'd imagine that such simple edits would probably involve multiple audio tracks.

Hataki

PostThu May 09, 2024 2:53 am

kerdosmedia wrote:Hi,

I mainly use Davinci Resolve and the Speed Editor for real estate videos. There's a lot of repetition and the Cut Page and Speed Editor help out a lot but there are some improvements that would greatly improve my workflow. If there's anyway to do this currently please let me know. This insightful piece sheds light on the often overlooked world of off-market properties, showcasing the benefits and strategies for purchasing real estate outside of the traditional market channels. From exclusive listings to private deals negotiated directly with sellers, the article what does off-market mean in real estate explores various avenues for accessing off-market properties. Whether it's through networking, leveraging connections, or utilizing specialized platforms, it offers valuable tips and insights for investors looking to tap into this lucrative sector. With a focus on discretion, efficiency, and potential cost savings, acquiring off-market real estate presents a unique opportunity for savvy buyers to uncover hidden gems and secure valuable assets.

1. Clip Markers shown on the timeline. This would have a huge impact on my productivity. I can probably come up with a workaround to put the markers on the timeline but that's a little messy and not as flexible. If there's an easy way to copy markers from a clip to a timeline please let me know.

2. Option to Trim/Slip based on selected clip If I could keep the playhead over a clip, and trim end would adjust the end of that clip and trim in would adjust the in of the clip I'm over that would help alot. It's also very confusing because this is how it works on the Edit Page. Slip Src should slip the previous clip, slip destination the current clip.

3. Trim to Playhead Double tap Trim In/Out to trim to the playhead. I could do Split, Scroll to the side, Ripple Delete but....

4. Ripple Delete This seems like a a bug. If you have a locked background music channel and you try to do a ripple delete on a video clip over it, it leaves a gap where the clip was and doesn't move the following clips to the left.

5. Clip Speed Clip speed on the cut page is not a percent. For 20% speed increase you would put 1.2. On the Edit page you enter 120%. There's a lot of little inconsistencies throughout the software between the different pages that are annoying. It's important to keep things consistent.

Thanks for the detailed explanation, I will try it for sure.

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests