Fix for Odd Number Resolution Render

• Author

jeffreysousa

Fix for Odd Number Resolution Render

PostTue May 16, 2023 1:15 am

Would love a fix for the longstanding limitation of being unable to render "Frame width or height can not be an odd number." when doing a same-as-source resolution render back to Premiere.

image.png
image.png (38.7 KiB) Viewed 1709 times

It's still really common in the doc world to have tons (maybe hundreds) of oddball resolution stills on your timeline. Whether it's archival, etc. Childhood photos of the subject scanned by their mom. In the case where we grade in Resolve then Premiere round trip back to the editor, these renders can be a troubleshooting nightmare, as you need to prune out all the odd resolution shots, round them in Photoshop, then edit back into your Resolve timeline.

I thought maybe this could be fixed by making a Fusion comp for each still and using a Resize to an even resolution, but that still resulted in the error message.

My proposal would be to just have Resolve do a quick round down to the nearest even number when rendering like this, rather than erroring out and the whole episode render grinds to a halt.

Another idea would be a checkbox that says something like "render stills as TIFFs." So 90 percent of your render is ProRes, but the stills in the timeline go out as TIFFs, which presumably can be odd number resolution.

One curiosity I discovered is that only the horizontal resolution seemingly needs to be even. I had a few shots with even horizontal resolutions but odd heights, and those rendered OK.

Marc Wielage

Re: Fix for Odd Number Resolution Render

PostTue May 16, 2023 2:10 am

jeffreysousa wrote:It's still really common in the doc world to have tons (maybe hundreds) of oddball resolution stills on your timeline. Whether it's archival, etc.

Don't do that. It's bad for workflow. We just slice an extra line/pixel off and call it a day. Worst case, have an extra line of black around the still, and nobody will ever see it.
Certified DaVinci Resolve Color Trainer • AdvancedColorTraining.com

Jim Simon

PostWed May 17, 2023 10:56 pm

I had a similar thought to Mark's. I process photos before import into the NLE.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostThu May 18, 2023 2:35 pm

I have mixed feelings about it, on one side the machine should not die because an odd resolution, on the other side a bit of cleanup is recommended....
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests