beginners friendly UI toggle

• Author

Szymon

beginners friendly UI toggle

PostFri Jun 02, 2023 4:43 pm

It would be awesome to have toggle switch between beginners friendly UI that uses most common and beginners based options - aspecially as DR nowadays gets to be more openned for social media content creators :)

Marc Wielage

Re: beginners friendly UI toggle

PostSat Jun 03, 2023 6:24 am

I doubt if many people would agree on what a "beginner friendly UI" is. From my point of view, rather than dumbing-down Resolve's UI to make it easier to use for newcomers, I'd rather see people pushing themselves to learn the program well, and bringing their skills up to the level of where Resolve is today. The training is out there, quite a bit of it is free, and all it takes is time and effort on the user's part.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

ingwemultimedia

PostSat Jun 03, 2023 9:06 am

I would say the new18.5 Cut Page will do for beginners but maybe allowing to unlatch more UI plates , and more custom UI like in Adobe Prpro, where you press Ctrl and mouse click , it allows you to rearrange and remove plates. which would declutter UI. I did a similar tutorial for a group of old Adobe Premiere Pro CS 5 users , who could not get use to the new versions of Adobe 2021 layout.

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostSat Jun 03, 2023 3:38 pm

that's the CUT page.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

ShaheedMalik

PostSat Jun 03, 2023 3:56 pm

I do think this is the Cut Page at this point especially with it being the main page on the iPad.

Allen24

PostSat Jun 03, 2023 10:33 pm

Marc...I could not agree with you more. If Resolve is too complicated for someone, go use Premiere Pro.
Yes Resolve has a learning curve, but so what! Challenge yourself. In the end you will be rewarded!

Joe Shapiro

PostMon Jun 05, 2023 1:37 am

Resolve has both necessary complexity and unnecessary complexity. One example of the latter - and there are many - is the different ways timelines behave on different pages. Things like mouse actions to scroll or zoom, different forms of selection supported, and on and on.

I know several pages were originally different programs. That was quite a while ago. It’s high time for more consistency across the UI. This is just one of several forms of unnecessary complexity.

There’s no good reason to ask the user to dig in deep and learn all this unnecessary complexity. It’s a flaw in Resolve that hopefully will one day be addressed. That would be a far better outcome than putting all that unnecessary stuff into people’s heads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.3
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.1

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostMon Jun 05, 2023 4:28 am

Joe Shapiro wrote:Resolve has both necessary complexity and unnecessary complexity. One example of the latter - and there are many - is the different ways timelines behave on different pages. Things like mouse actions to scroll or zoom, different forms of selection supported, and on and on.

I know several pages were originally different programs. That was quite a while ago. It’s high time for more consistency across the UI. This is just one of several forms of unnecessary complexity.

There’s no good reason to ask the user to dig in deep and learn all this unnecessary complexity. It’s a flaw in Resolve that hopefully will one day be addressed. That would be a far better outcome than putting all that unnecessary stuff into people’s heads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 fpr cleanup!
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

ShaheedMalik

PostMon Jun 05, 2023 5:55 am

Joe Shapiro wrote:Resolve has both necessary complexity and unnecessary complexity. One example of the latter - and there are many - is the different ways timelines behave on different pages. Things like mouse actions to scroll or zoom, different forms of selection supported, and on and on.

I do agree with this though.

I recently changed the Disable shortcut in the Color page from Ctrl+D to just D.

Why was it just D on the Edit Page but Ctrl+D on the color page?
No clue.

Jim Simon

PostFri Jun 09, 2023 8:07 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:The training is out there, quite a bit of it is free

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... ning#books
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Marc Wielage

PostSun Jun 11, 2023 6:02 am

I have no problem with them trying to ensure greater consistency with the GUI interface (and physical knobs) across different modes or different pages.

I'll give you an example:

when you adjust Power Windows, the big panels look like this on the right:

I would much rather than Pan / Tilt / Zoom / Rotate be in the exact same order between the Sizing palette and the Windows Sizing palette. This is an inconsistency that's irked me for years. So there is a lot of weirdness between modes where suddenly, the knob you think should be there isn't there.

But that's not dumbing it down -- that's just putting the same knob function in the same place in two different modes.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests