Non-destructive timeline Please!!

• Author

tnabes

Non-destructive timeline Please!!

PostSat Jun 03, 2023 11:29 pm

I'm a new DaVinci user coming from Vegas Video. One of the best things about Vegas in my opinion is it's non-destructive timeline. When you push one timeline event (clip) into another they overlap as a dissolve (which defaults to easy-ease btw). This not only makes "adding" dissolves a snap, but more importantly it makes the timeline non-destructive; so you can slide timeline events around on the timeline quickly without worry about accidentally overlapping and thus removing some audio edit that you did on a track that's below your view. If this change were implemented, I believe hoards of Vegas users would gleefully make the switch to DaVinci to escape Vegas's stability issues and make use of all of Davinci's awesomeness.

Last edited by tnabes on Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

panos_mts

Re: Auto-dissolves (PLEEEEAAASE!)

PostSun Jun 04, 2023 12:40 am

You can already do it with Resolve, there is no on/off toggle like Vegas, you need to hold Alt+Shift when dragging a clip inside another.

The problem is that once you create the first dissolve, you can't adjust it the same way afterwards like you can do in Vegas.

tnabes

Re: Auto-dissolves (PLEEEEAAASE!)

PostWed Jun 07, 2023 8:52 pm

panos_mts wrote:You can already do it with Resolve, there is no on/off toggle like Vegas, you need to hold Alt+Shift when dragging a clip inside another.

The problem is that once you create the first dissolve, you can't adjust it the same way afterwards like you can do in Vegas.

Thanks for that tip. However, it's still destructive and mostly useless. If I drag the clip back off, even holding the same keys, it still has cut away the video clip that I dragged it into. This makes it so I have to always be careful to not accidentally have two timeline clips overlap. If I have to be careful with every move, I'm going to edit far slower. This is the key thing that makes it so difficult for me as a Vegas user to switch to a different editing platform. If you're used to a timeline that lets you throw things around quickly and carelessly, moving to a timeline where clips/events step on each other and you have to take caution with every move ...is extremely painful.

panos_mts

Re: Auto-dissolves

PostWed Jun 07, 2023 9:28 pm

Vegas is still non-destructive even when auto cross-fades are turned off.
I think that's a separate feature request.

DaVinci currently supports non-destructive editing only for non linked audio clips by enabling the "Layered Audio Editing" option.

There is a feature request for layered video editing here:
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=176919

tnabes

Re: Auto-dissolves

PostThu Jun 08, 2023 1:55 am

panos_mts wrote:Vegas is still non-destructive even when auto cross-fades are turned off.
I think that's a separate feature request.

DaVinci currently supports non-destructive editing only for non linked audio clips by enabling the "Layered Audio Editing" option.

There is a feature request for layered video editing here:
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=176919

Thanks! Yes, that's what I want! I updated my original post to be more accurate and I also posted over on that other thread.

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests