help to automate frame replacer for dropped frames

• Author

JacobN

help to automate frame replacer for dropped frames

PostSat Sep 09, 2023 11:46 pm

I got footage that was shot in a datarate far higher than what the recording media would allow. its all BRAW but the playback is constantly flickering with bright red MEDIA OFFLINE frames.
The frame replacer tool is great but incredibly tedious as there's probably hundreds of frames I need to process with it.
Is there not a way to just have it target every frame under a given parameter to apply it's effects to?

Please tell me there's an answer here. I'm totally unfamiliar with scripting in resolve.

Uli Plank

Re: help to automate frame replacer for dropped frames

PostSun Sep 10, 2023 3:05 am

In that case, I'd buy or rent a recorder that can record the output of your computer in high quality.

The BRAW player is automatically masking such lost frames by repeating the last good one. Of course, we should ask BM to integrate such a feature in DR, but if you need to salvage your footage now, it's a decent workaround. BTW, your camera can do it too.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Jim Simon

PostSun Sep 10, 2023 5:51 pm

I think I would vote no on this. It's up to the DP to know his equipment and shoot it correctly. I'd rather BMD spent their time adding other ideas.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

panos_mts

PostSun Sep 10, 2023 7:46 pm

I managed to make a fusion template effect that uses the frame replacer effect and the probe modifier to detect the media offline frames.

You can download and install the .drfx template from here: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/yzogpsf0 ... 7vmum&dl=1

How to use it:
1. You may need to render the video with Davinci so the Media Offline frames are baked in the video, otherwise the effect probably won't work
2. Insert the rendered video in the timeline
3. Go to the effects, find the "Media Offline Replacer" and apply it to the video

You can change the replacement method from the inspector. There is also a threshold parameter that controls the media offline frames detection threshold.

I tested the effect with a 16x9 video, I don't know if it works with other aspect ratios.

Andy Mees

PostSun Sep 10, 2023 9:16 pm

Smart work Panos. Thumbs up.

renzhezhu

PostWed Sep 20, 2023 5:06 am

JacobN wrote:I got footage that was shot in a datarate far higher than what the recording media would allow. its all BRAW but the playback is constantly flickering with bright red MEDIA OFFLINE frames.
The frame replacer tool is great but incredibly tedious as there's probably hundreds of frames I need to process with it.
Is there not a way to just have it target every frame under a given parameter to apply it's effects to?

Please tell me there's an answer here. I'm totally unfamiliar with scripting in resolve.

Can I have some footage to test?

Norbert339

PostWed Sep 20, 2023 8:38 am

+1

to show and optionally replace all at once the dropped frames.

serhiomustache

PostWed Apr 24, 2024 1:50 pm

Panos thank you very much for sharing your template effect!
You just save my footage with it:)

Marc Wielage

PostThu Apr 25, 2024 1:32 am

panos_mts wrote:I managed to make a fusion template effect that uses the frame replacer effect and the probe modifier to detect the media offline frames.

How jerky are the results? If there's any kind of motion in there, it's going to look crazy/weird. Can you post a demo on YouTube or Vimeo?
Certified DaVinci Resolve Color Trainer • AdvancedColorTraining.com

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests