Let us upvote bug reports and feature requests

• Author

Timo92

PostFri Sep 15, 2023 2:31 pm

I am very frustrated with the way that Blackmagic Design handles feedback from the community.
Part of the reason why I have become mostly inactive on the forums is, because none of the bugs I reported and features I requested years ago have been addressed in any way. And that is despite the fact that many of the issues that I mentioned are extremely important to a lot of people and many of the solutions that I proposed received unanimous approval from the community.

For example, 3 years ago I reported that Davinci Resolve's Render Cache is almost useless.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=123372

I wrote, quote:
If you do any changes whatsoever, even changes that don't affect how a certain clip will look, it rerenders the whole clip. So, for example, if I just move a clip that is already cached 1 frame to the right, it will rerender the whole clip. If I put an image that lasts for 1 frame on top of a clip, it will rerender the whole clip. If I make track 1 invisible, and then visible again, it will rerender all clips (!) on track 1. If I move the whole timeline 1 frame to the left or right, it will rerender the whole timeline. (!!!)

Basically it's so unintelligent, that it's useless to me and I have to turn it off completely. Otherwise my computer renders nonstop.

3 years later, the render cache in Davinci Resolve is still almost useless and extremely unintelligent.
And that is despite the fact that everyone agreed that it was a big issue and needed improvement. These are some of the comments in that thread:

mpetech wrote:Agreed. It needs major improvements.

tclark513 wrote:+1000

Derek Howard wrote:Improvements in the cache system would be really appreciated. It has slowed me down on my most recent project in particular.

Lucas D. wrote:Sad thing is that Avid DS had intelligent rendering 20 years ago.

brediknight wrote:This isn't a feature request. THIS IS A BUG.
It does NOT work as intended. Not only a bug, but a showstopper.

TechManiacHD wrote:Yes, this is frustrating. I am running OCed 12c/24t CPU with RTX 3090Ti and whatever I changed I need to do anything else for 20 minutes for all cache to catch up.

All the other reactions are the same. There is not a single person that disagrees.
Did anything change? Nope.
Did any of the decision-makers even read that thread? No idea. There is no way to know if anything reaches Blackmagic Design.
As all other threads, that one got buried and thereby disappeared as if it never existed.

So, the problem with the forum structure is that if something like this is brought up where every single person agrees it's a problem and there are 0 dissenting voices, people don't have anything to add anymore and then the thread disappears.

What we would need is a rating system, where we can upvote feature requests and bug reports.
This way, developers could see which issues are most important to the community. Adobe already lets users upvote bug reports and feature requests since many years ago.

I'm sure that if a rating system would exist, getting a smart Render cache for Resolve would be in the top 10 of the ranking, because it is so important to every Resolve user. Everyone needs a good, intelligent render cache.

Timo92

Re: Let us upvote bug reports and feature requests

PostFri Sep 15, 2023 2:39 pm

To end it on a positive note:
I like Resolve. I really like the basic structure of having everything in one application. It has so much untapped potential. That is why I am so frustrated that it is held back by simple things such as an almost useless render cache solution.

Jim Simon

PostFri Sep 15, 2023 5:11 pm

I ran a brief test in Studio 18.6 on Windows 10.

I moved a Cached clip to the right in the timeline, and the Cache moved with it. No need to reCache.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Timo92

PostFri Sep 15, 2023 6:39 pm

Jim Simon wrote:I ran a brief test in Studio 18.6 on Windows 10.

I moved a Cached clip to the right in the timeline, and the Cache moved with it. No need to reCache.

Hi Jim. I remember you as the one person that almost never agreed with any criticism of Resolve.
I don't understand how you would get this result.

To clarify:
When you select Playback -> Render cache -> Smart
Then play back a clip so that the render cache renders it. You should now see the blue progress bar above the rendered clip. Now move the cached clip in any direction by one frame or more. And the blue progress bar will disappear, and reload. That means that the render cache was reset.
This happens with any change you make, no matter how minor or insignificant, which is why the render cache is practically useless in Resolve. If you, for example, make a track invisible and visible again, the whole timeline (!!!) gets rerendered. Apparently this is not an important enough issue for the developers to do anything about.

So as it stands, Resolve has no usable render cache as far as I'm concerned. I can't work with it, it's ridiculous. It's constantly rerendering. I don't understand why the developers do nothing about it for years, even though everyone agreed that it was a very important issue which affects everyone, not just some people.

Tested in Resolve Studio 18.6 (issue was brought up 3 years ago without any improvement).

Jim Simon

PostFri Sep 15, 2023 8:33 pm

Timo92 wrote:Now move the cached clip in any direction by one frame or more. And the blue progress bar will disappear
I'm just not seeing that. It moves with the clip.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Timo92

PostFri Sep 15, 2023 9:12 pm

Jim Simon wrote:It moves with the clip.

It does not. See attachment. I just moved that clip a couple of frames to the left and you can see that red hole in the middle of the blue, indicating that the render cache for that section needs to reload. It was all blue before.
Attachments
DR Cache problem.png
DR Cache problem.png (34.25 KiB) Viewed 2383 times

visualfeast

PostSat Sep 16, 2023 4:12 am

I just tested 18.5 on iPad, and cache moves with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
•Ryzen 5950x/64G/75TB RAID/3080ti/Intensity Pro 4K/2x ProArt PA278CGV/Dell U2415/Shogun 7/HPE LTO-6/Stream Deck XL
•ZBook 17 G3/64G/Quadro M5000M
•Inspiron 16+/32G/RTX3060
Resolve Studio v18.1.2 (x2)/Windows 10 Pro 22H2

Norbert339

PostSat Sep 16, 2023 8:20 am

+1

Peter Cave

PostSat Sep 16, 2023 8:41 am

The render moves with the clip for me too. Are you adding layers together?
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Timo92

PostSat Sep 16, 2023 12:11 pm

Peter Cave wrote:The render moves with the clip for me too. Are you adding layers together?

Ok, now I really want to know what is going on, because I simply can't replicate this "render cache moving with clip" behavior. Do you see the blue bar moving when you move the clip, or is that your interpretation? Because for the life of me I can't replicate this result. I am wondering if you guys are misinterpretating what you're seeing.

Please explain to me in detail how to replicate what you described and what exactly you see.
If it's possible, could you please provide me with a Davinci Resolve project which displays the "moving render cache" along with the footage in it, so I can replicate it?

Joe Shapiro

PostSat Sep 16, 2023 7:39 pm

Perhaps post a .drp of your project and people can take a look and see what might be different for you. Plus they can see if the cache works on their machine.
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

visualfeast

PostSat Sep 16, 2023 9:20 pm

What I see: create a sequence that has things that need caching (red bar at top). Wait a few seconds until the cache slowly builds up to blue. Move a set of layers some— the blue bar disappears for maybe a second then pops back on.

BUT if I move it to a spot later down the timeline after some other clips— it keeps the cache of the moved items, but rebuilds the cache of the clips inbetween. That doesn’t seem right. This is on 18.5 iPad M1.

•Ryzen 5950x/64G/75TB RAID/3080ti/Intensity Pro 4K/2x ProArt PA278CGV/Dell U2415/Shogun 7/HPE LTO-6/Stream Deck XL

Jim Simon

PostSat Sep 16, 2023 9:54 pm

Timo92 wrote:Do you see the blue bar moving when you move the clip
It moves immediately after we stop moving the clip. Far too fast to be a re-Cache.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Timo92

PostWed Sep 20, 2023 1:36 am

Joe Shapiro wrote:Perhaps post a .drp of your project and people can take a look and see what might be different for you. Plus they can see if the cache works on their machine.

There you go:

https://uploadnow.io/en/share?utm_source=Llw9mYV

Just put the video file into C.
You can move anything and you will see that the render cache doesn't move with it.

visualfeast

PostWed Sep 20, 2023 4:27 am

Link doesn’t work here.

Timo92

PostWed Sep 20, 2023 5:12 am

visualfeast wrote:Link doesn’t work here

Must be a problem on your side, because I have confirmed with several different browsers that it does work.

visualfeast

PostWed Sep 20, 2023 5:27 am

Oh well, maybe someone can put it on another service.

Timo92

PostWed Sep 20, 2023 6:31 am

visualfeast wrote:Oh well, maybe someone can put it on another service.

Try this:
https://filebin.net/w1uriqi45ytr904x

Timo92

PostWed Sep 20, 2023 5:38 pm

What did you find?

Olivier MATHIEU

PostWed Sep 20, 2023 6:18 pm

I can confirm what Timo92 said

Resolve 18.6
in the timeline with Smart Render cache file
V6 ➧ Adjustment Layer with Effect
V2 to V5 ➧ Video with "Video Collage" Effect
V1 ➧ Video

As soon as I move All them together in the timeline Render cache turn Red
Hope this helps
Resolve Studio 18.6.x & Fusion Studio 18.6.x | MacOS 13.6.x | GUI : 3840 x 2160 | Ntw : 10Gb/s
MacbookPro M2 Max

Editor, Compositing Artist
Davinci Resolve & Fusion Certified Trainer

Timo92

PostWed Sep 20, 2023 6:53 pm

I wonder in which situation the render cache supposedly moves, because I have never seen it move at all.

Joe Shapiro

PostSat Sep 23, 2023 8:00 pm

Great! So now we know it's not something funny with Timo92's system.
Hopefully BMD will also download the .drp and debug what's going on.
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

Timo92

PostSat Sep 23, 2023 9:54 pm

I would like to know if the moving render cache is a thing at all.
Because some users here have claimed that their render cache moved from one place to another place in the timeline. Yet I have never ever seen the render cache move from one place to another place in the timeline. It would be very odd if it can move, but only in certain, rare situations. I also didn't find anything on it in the manual.

Are you sure that you actually saw the render cache moving and not simply regenerating in a new spot when you move a clip?

Please post a .drp of a project with a clip that can be moved, with render cache moving with it, so we can all confirm that moving render cache exists.

I have already asked you guys who claim that the render cache of Davinci Resolve is capable of moving from one spot in the timeline to another, to provide a .drp file to prove it. Please do so so we can all confirm it. It's frustrating to me when people claim it without anyone being able to confirm it. I want to know if "moving render cache" in DR is actually a thing, a feature, that exists. Please, can anyone confirm it with actual proof?
Last edited by Timo92 on Sun Sep 24, 2023 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andy Mees

PostSat Sep 23, 2023 11:42 pm

Here's a sample project archive with cached effects that should move around for you Timo, they do for me.
Simply swap that order to your hearts content and they shouldn't need recaching.
https://filebin.net/1wnkm1wwwqj4tsp9

Cesar Tejada

PostSun Sep 24, 2023 2:09 am

Since version 17.4 I'm not having issues with the render cache since I noticed how it works.

I don't tend to use smart cache, User render cache is more precise for me. If you render cache a video clip the cache stays intact even when you move or trim the clip. The only time it changes is when you modify one parameter of the effect that is applied.

Adjustment clips are another story. They function like a birds-eye view of everything that is beneath them.
If you change just one frame of a clip that is below an adjustment clip the whole thing will be cached again.

That's why I don't tend to use adjustment clips to render cache.
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

Processor: Intel i7-13700K 16 Cores
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070
Memory: Corsair DDR5 64GB
MB: ASUS TUF GAMING Z790-PLUS WIFI

Timo92

PostSun Sep 24, 2023 5:32 am

Andy Mees wrote:Here's a sample project archive with cached effects that should move around for you Timo, they do for me.
Simply swap that order to your hearts content and they shouldn't need recaching.
https://filebin.net/1wnkm1wwwqj4tsp9

Thank you. I can confirm that with these effects, the render cache does move.
So in certain, in my usage, rare situations, the render cache can move.
This behavior is extremely weird. With a few effects, apparently it does move,
but with most effects the render cache doesn't move.
I can't grasp what the developers had in mind when they programmed this
half-baked solution. Why not let the render cache always move when the clip
doesn't change?

Olivier MATHIEU

PostSun Sep 24, 2023 8:45 am

About Render cache,
May be Adjustment layer is an issue. in it's own mechanism, it's referring to an timeline frame !!
So if you move it the timeline frame change ➧ it feels the need to be re-cache ....
I'm just speculating
Resolve Studio 18.6.x & Fusion Studio 18.6.x | MacOS 13.6.x | GUI : 3840 x 2160 | Ntw : 10Gb/s
MacbookPro M2 Max

Editor, Compositing Artist
Davinci Resolve & Fusion Certified Trainer

Videoneth

• Warnings: 1

PostSun Sep 24, 2023 6:49 pm

Yes. I didn't care at first when I saw this idea years ago, but the more people are starting to use Resolve, the more I see this old forum as not enough for the bug reports, and feature requests.

I don't like too much the layout of the Community page of Topaz Labs, but the voting system, and the fact they often merge the same topics, makes it way more usable at the end (not for general discussion, but for their "ideas" forum).

And if there is a voting system, their shouldn't be a "downvote" button. If nobody wants some feature, just don't add your vote.

Like I said many times, they are grown adults at BMD (which is a big company) and they can take ideas and decide between themselves if it's good enough to add to the queue...
Windows 10
19b
nVidia 3090 - 552.22

Timo92

PostSun Sep 24, 2023 7:30 pm

Videoneth wrote:Like I said many times, they are grown adults at BMD (which is a big company) and they can take ideas and decide between themselves if it's good enough to add to the queue...

I don't understand what you mean by that.

visualfeast

PostSun Sep 24, 2023 10:13 pm

Videoneth wrote:And if there is a voting system, their shouldn't be a "downvote" button. If nobody wants some feature, just don't add your vote.

Like I said many times, they are grown adults at BMD (which is a big company) and they can take ideas and decide between themselves if it's good enough to add to the queue...
+1 an upvote system along with a way for users to check active known bugs and to upvote those if they have the same issue would be wonderful!

Jim Simon

PostMon Sep 25, 2023 3:02 pm

It makes sense that moving an Adjustment Clip, or anything underneath an Adjustment Clip, will invalidate the Cache.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Rick van den Berg

PostMon Sep 25, 2023 5:06 pm

I had the same experience with the disapearing cache. But it's such an old issue, that i almost forgot about it. I tend to work around it with "render in place" if things get really heavy.

Anyway, i generally agree on this voting/bug report system, and that feeling of being totally ignored on serious issues. I think i even started a thread about it, and ironically vanished.. :roll:

I did see some small fixes/features being added which i whined about though.. so that did give me a good feeling :)

Videoneth

PostMon Sep 25, 2023 11:45 pm

Rick van den Berg wrote:I had the same experience with the disapearing cache. But it's such an old issue, that i almost forgot about it. I tend to work around it with "render in place" if things get really heavy.

Anyway, i generally agree on this voting/bug report system, and that feeling of being totally ignored on serious issues. I think i even started a thread about it, and ironically vanished.. :roll:

I did see some small fixes/features being added which i whined about though.. so that did give me a good feeling :)

I wish the would have a list of every fixed bugs. So many were reported on the forum over the years, abut corrected without being mentioned in the change-log.
Windows 10
19b
nVidia 3090 - 552.22

Timo92

PostTue Sep 26, 2023 10:20 am

Jim Simon wrote:It makes sense that moving an Adjustment Clip, or anything underneath an Adjustment Clip, will invalidate the Cache.

And what about my project, where I only applied a mask, yet the render cache doesn't move with it. It also doesn't work with compound clips or timelines. Did you check the project file that I provided?

Videoneth

PostTue Sep 26, 2023 1:20 pm

Timo92 wrote:
Videoneth wrote:Like I said many times, they are grown adults at BMD (which is a big company) and they can take ideas and decide between themselves if it's good enough to add to the queue...

I don't understand what you mean by that.

It wasn't a comment directed at you :) Just a general comment about some people on the forum who constantly need to tell us : I don't want BMD to spend time on this feature request. - When this "feeling" doesn't matter, it just gaslight the readers and has no effect on BMD, because they know their product, have teams, and they will never take some random feelings into consideration when they have their own
Windows 10
19b
nVidia 3090 - 552.22

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Oct 04, 2023 6:29 am

Timo92 wrote:

Try this:
https://filebin.net/w1uriqi45ytr904x

can u make the link valid again Timo92?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Timo92

PostFri Oct 06, 2023 3:17 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:
Timo92 wrote:can u make the link valid again Timo92?

There you go:
https://filebin.net/he4n6lrzn6vgo8dd

Timo92

PostMon Oct 09, 2023 11:15 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:can u make the link valid again Timo92?

Did you download it, and can you see what I mean?

Peter Cave

PostTue Oct 10, 2023 4:55 am

Timo92 wrote:
Peter Chamberlain wrote:can u make the link valid again Timo92?

Did you download it, and can you see what I mean?

I downloaded and tested.
Your project re-renders when moving the stack of clips.
With all my own projects the render moves with the clips when moved.

Conclusion: It is a local issue with your project and/or setup.
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Timo92

PostWed Mar 27, 2024 11:34 am

Peter Cave wrote:
Timo92 wrote:
Peter Chamberlain wrote:Conclusion: It is a local issue with your project and/or setup.

What do you mean by local issue? I have the same Resolve as everyone else. I've had this problem many times with different types of projects. It's just Resolve being inconsistent.

okiewardoyo

PostWed Mar 27, 2024 1:59 pm

Timo92 wrote:
Jim Simon wrote:I ran a brief test in Studio 18.6 on Windows 10.

Hi Jim. I remember you as the one person that almost never agreed with any criticism of Resolve.
I don't understand how you would get this result.

To clarify:
When you select Playback -> Render cache -> Smart
Then play back a clip so that the render cache renders it. You should now see the blue progress bar above the rendered clip. Now move the cached clip in any direction by one frame or more. And the blue progress bar will disappear, and reload. That means that the render cache was reset.
This happens with any change you make, no matter how minor or insignificant, which is why the render cache is practically useless in Resolve. If you, for example, make a track invisible and visible again, the whole timeline (!!!) gets rerendered. Apparently this is not an important enough issue for the developers to do anything about.

So as it stands, Resolve has no usable render cache as far as I'm concerned. I can't work with it, it's ridiculous. It's constantly rerendering. I don't understand why the developers do nothing about it for years, even though everyone agreed that it was a very important issue which affects everyone, not just some people.

Tested in Resolve Studio 18.6 (issue was brought up 3 years ago without any improvement).

I still remember, when i use Adobe product, i always use render cache, it helps so much.
When i use Resolve, i never use render cache. I don't know, i think Resolve always caches and caches again whenever it has been cached.
So, i never used cache, smart cache, or whatever cache. May be becouse of my unpowerfull machine. But i never test in the latest resolve.
Begin using Resolve in Mon May 02, 2022.
All of Software in the world are just tools. No perfect Software. Use it if it works for you.
Resolve 18.6 | Raizen 7, 40Gb Ram, RTX 3060, Win 11

Peter Cave

PostTue Apr 02, 2024 1:53 am

Timo92 wrote:What do you mean by local issue? I have the same Resolve as everyone else. I've had this problem many times with different types of projects. It's just Resolve being inconsistent.

Works fine for me in both Smart and User modes.

Mac Studio Max 32GB

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests