Option to hide OSD in fullscreen/cinema mode

• Author

Annabel_Shanderin

Option to hide OSD in fullscreen/cinema mode

PostSat Sep 16, 2023 8:36 am

It would be great if we could get an option to hide the OSD (the playback controls and time scrolling bar), when viewing in full screen mode, so that it doesn't appear when you move the mouse. The slightest move of the mouse will bring up the OSD and it will stay there for 5 seconds. Who is using this, anyway?

See also: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=118927&p=981208#p981208

Jim Simon

Re: Option to hide OSD in fullscreen/cinema mode

PostSat Sep 16, 2023 10:08 pm

I think this would be a waste of development resources. If you want to scan through (which is why you would move the mouse), we need that GUI.

You don't want the GUI, take you hand off the mouse.

I vote no.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Annabel_Shanderin

PostSun Sep 17, 2023 12:04 pm

Jim Simon wrote:I think this would be a waste of development resources. If you want to scan through (which is why you would move the mouse), we need that GUI.

You don't want the GUI, take you hand off the mouse.

I vote no.

A waste of development resources? I can't imagine making the GUI optional in settings would be that labor intensive.

It's such a peculiar thing, voting against something so simple that could help other peoples workflow.

Marc Wielage

PostSun Sep 17, 2023 1:20 pm

I think you can accomplish the same functionality just by buying a Blackmagic display adapter, like a Decklink or UltraStudio. Do that, and now you have a separate clean output 100% of the time with the timeline available all the time, no on screen display, just picture. Consider it another $100 for an extra feature.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Annabel_Shanderin

PostMon Sep 18, 2023 10:57 am

Marc Wielage wrote:I think you can accomplish the same functionality just by buying a Blackmagic display adapter, like a Decklink or UltraStudio. Do that, and now you have a separate clean output 100% of the time with the timeline available all the time, no on screen display, just picture. Consider it another $100 for an extra feature.

Thanks, but your suggestion is far from ideal for me for two reasons.

1. It costs money (~$250 for a new 4k decklink card).
2. I don't have space for an extra card in my small form factor build unless I get rid of my graphics card, which would open up more problems than it would solve.

So the "feature request" still stands. I know I'm not the only one bothered by this and I hope BM will at some point offer an option to hide the GUI.

Side note, can anyone tell me what the function of "Hide UI overlays" checkbox is in Settings > User > Playback Settings ? It seems to make no difference whether it's checked or not.

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests