Ability to change the counter in the edit window

• Author

origenic

Ability to change the counter in the edit window

PostMon Oct 30, 2023 6:13 pm

As the title suggests, currently, at least in the current free version, I don't know about the full version (we will be buying the full version soon) in the edit window you can only view the counter in seconds, minutes and hours, to view the frame count you need to go to the cut window. This is frustrating as I work with rendered frames from 3D software and to sync things up I need to view the frame number. It's frustrating having to use the cut window whenever I want to align a clip to it's correct position in the sequence.

If we could change the counter in other windows also it would make a lot more sense and speed up the work flow. I'm sure I can't be the only person that has this issue.

Charles Bennett

Re: Ability to change the counter in the edit window

PostTue Oct 31, 2023 12:12 am

If you right click on the timecodes you should be able to select frames in the Edit page.
Attachments
Frames Instead of Timecode.jpg
Frames Instead of Timecode.jpg (219.6 KiB) Viewed 397 times
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Marc Wielage

PostTue Oct 31, 2023 4:07 am

You can also pop up a Frame Counter with the Data Burn-In window. Be aware that it takes its start frame number from the timeline timecode. I would rather have two independent sources, where you could preset one to whatever you wanted (like 00000), and the other would take the start timecode from the timeline itself.

We work around this with the kludgiest of workarounds: we have two rendered black files, one with 00:00:00:00 timecode, and another with 00000 frames (and a third with 0000+00 film footage) and I can drop one in a timeline and crop it in place. It's crude, it's stupid... but it works. Until we get multiple independent timecode windows in Resolve, it's all we got.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

origenic

PostWed Mar 20, 2024 9:51 pm

Charles Bennett wrote:If you right click on the timecodes you should be able to select frames in the Edit page.

Thank you! I eventually figured this out, I should have came back here! I forgot I posted on this forum. Thanks again.

origenic

PostWed Mar 20, 2024 9:54 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:You can also pop up a Frame Counter with the Data Burn-In window. Be aware that it takes its start frame number from the timeline timecode. I would rather have two independent sources, where you could preset one to whatever you wanted (like 00000), and the other would take the start timecode from the timeline itself.

We work around this with the kludgiest of workarounds: we have two rendered black files, one with 00:00:00:00 timecode, and another with 00000 frames (and a third with 0000+00 film footage) and I can drop one in a timeline and crop it in place. It's crude, it's stupid... but it works. Until we get multiple independent timecode windows in Resolve, it's all we got.

Thanks!

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests