fusion - ability to connect multiple nodes at once

• Author

Rick van den Berg

fusion - ability to connect multiple nodes at once

PostSun Feb 04, 2024 10:16 pm

for example, box select 10 text+ nodes, drag one output to a multimerge, and it will connect all 10 text+ nodes to that multimerge.

rsf123

Re: fusion - ability to connect multiple nodes at once

PostMon Feb 05, 2024 11:43 am

How would the multi-merge node know what order of priority to list the various incoming nodes?

The whole idea if the new multi-merge node is to allow the user to determine the order of priority of the nodes. And the assumption would be that the priority is determined by the order in which they are connected.

Am I correct in my guess that the motive of your suggestion is to save time. But there might be an argument that taking 10 separate steps to attach all the Text nodes, one at a time, to the multi-merge node is worth the extra minute of time, solely in order to ensure that the order of priority is unambiguous?

Rick van den Berg

PostMon Feb 05, 2024 9:14 pm

rsf123 wrote:How would the multi-merge node know what order of priority to list the various incoming nodes?

good point, didn't really think of that. This idea comes mostly from when i'm using houdini. I just checked how it works there and it seems to be determined by the position in the node editor. from left to right, most left one goes on top. if that's not what you want, it's quick and easy to re-arrange it to your liking inside the merge options. It's also possible to change the behaviour in the preferences to something like top to bottom instead of left to right.

Geometry and 2d layers are something different of course. But this could still be useful, and save time, as you can still quickly re-arrange it inside the multimerge in fusion as well.

But it could be something else than the multimerge. Think of the merge3d, connect a bunch of lights to it, or text3d, or fbx files, or whatever you can think of. It could also go the other way around. You could connect 5 matte control inputs to one png file output.

This idea is not really limited to one purpose, but could be applied globally in the node editor. And yes, it's mostly to save time. I'm a big fan of the node editor in houdini, there are so many little handy features. I think fusion could borrow a few ideas there :)

Sander de Regt

PostMon Feb 05, 2024 10:41 pm

Check out the WSL forum. Andrew, just posted a first version of a script to deal with this.

https://www.steakunderwater.com/wesuckl ... php?t=6421
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

KrunoSmithy

PostSat Apr 27, 2024 8:21 am

Sander de Regt wrote:Check out the WSL forum. Andrew, just posted a first version of a script to deal with this.

https://www.steakunderwater.com/wesuckl ... php?t=6421

Works beautifully. thank you. I really needed that. Here is another cool script to supplement this one.

A great supplement to this. :)

Auto-Rename-for-DaVinci-Resolve by neezr

Never get confused by generically named Fusion nodes in DaVinci Resolve again.

Automatically rename:

'MediaIn' nodes to their file names,
'Background' nodes to their colors and
'Text+'/'Text3D' nodes to their text contents
All layers of a 'MultiMerge' node to the names of their input nodes

All with a single click!
Usage:

Open the Fusion page

Run this script from DaVinci Resolve's dropdown menu (Workspace > Scripts)

This will automatically rename all unnamed "MediaIn", "Background", "Text+" and "Text 3D" nodes to logical display names
This will also rename all layers in the LayerList of a "MultiMerge" node to the names of their input nodes

This works best if bound to a hotkey! (open hotkey settings with CTRL+ALT+K)

https://github.com/neezr/Auto-Rename-fo ... ci-Resolve

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests