Ogg vorbis support

• Author

aquinox

Ogg vorbis support

PostThu Feb 15, 2024 12:55 pm

This audio codec may not be the most common one but many recorders use this as a better more quality per bit option than mp3... Please include it! It is open source and free...
7745hx
32GB DDR5
RTX4070
SSD
Win11

Time wasted due to resolve bugs: 38 hours (and counting.. just used for 6 months)
Time wasted due to Premiere bugs: 108 hrs (final)

Marc Wielage

Re: Ogg vorbis support

PostFri Feb 16, 2024 2:56 am

I would argue that uncompressed WAV files provide the best possible sound quality, and that's what I would expect people to use in a professional product like Resolve and Fairlight. WAV files are not that much bigger than MP3s (not compared to video files). The advantage of using a WAV file is that it's the native format used for processing inside Resolve, so nothing has to be converted to and from Resolve during sound processing. With MP3 (or Ogg Vorbis or MP3 or AAC or whatever), the system is going to have that much more stress having to decode/encode the audio; with WAV, it just sails right on through with very little overhead.
Certified DaVinci Resolve Color Trainer • AdvancedColorTraining.com

Ulrich W.

PostSun Feb 18, 2024 1:45 am

Marc Wielage wrote:I would argue that uncompressed WAV files provide the best possible sound quality, and that's what I would expect people to use in a professional product like Resolve and Fairlight. WAV files are not that much bigger than MP3s (not compared to video files). The advantage of using a WAV file is that it's the native format used for processing inside Resolve, so nothing has to be converted to and from Resolve during sound processing. With MP3 (or Ogg Vorbis or MP3 or AAC or whatever), the system is going to have that much more stress having to decode/encode the audio; with WAV, it just sails right on through with very little overhead.

In general I agree that loss-less compressed audio files or WAV are best quality, and that lossy compressing already lossy-compressed audio (like Vorbis or MP3) is not good, but those lossy formats typically only need 1/10th the size of an audio file (talking about 16bit 44.1kHz stereo). That can make a big difference if you have an audio library of 3000 titles or more on your disk. When you have 24bit 96 or 192kHz, those uncompressed WAV files need significant space.
Also the audio-tracks of most consumer cameras use a lossy format even for audio already, AFAIK.
The decoding power needed for some formats may actually have an influence on the ability of real-time playback (unless using cached data).

Jim Simon

PostSun Feb 18, 2024 2:42 pm

Ulrich W. wrote:When you have 24bit 96 or 192kHz, those uncompressed WAV files need significant space.
Compared to RAW video?

If you were an audio-only guy working with audio-only software, this request might make more sense. (Given sound quality, it also might not.)

But for an NLE, not sure it makes as much sense. This job requires LOTS of storage. If you need more, get it. ;)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Marc Wielage

PostMon Feb 19, 2024 3:16 am

Ulrich W. wrote:In general I agree that loss-less compressed audio files or WAV are best quality, and that lossy compressing already lossy-compressed audio (like Vorbis or MP3) is not good, but those lossy formats typically only need 1/10th the size of an audio file (talking about 16bit 44.1kHz stereo). That can make a big difference if you have an audio library of 3000 titles or more on your disk. When you have 24bit 96 or 192kHz, those uncompressed WAV files need significant space.

Not really. On a typical project, I wind up with 5-6-7TB of image files (typically Red or Alexa or BMD Raw files), and the audio rarely goes about 100GB at most. This is trivial. It's the picture files that require a lot of storage. Our solution in 2024 is: buy a spitload of drives.

Also the audio-tracks of most consumer cameras use a lossy format even for audio already, AFAIK.
The decoding power needed for some formats may actually have an influence on the ability of real-time playback (unless using cached data).

We've been trying to convince everybody we deal with, "don't use consumer cameras for professional projects. Use professional cameras with real timecode, real lenses, and raw file capability. Do all that, and you'll rarely run into any problems. If we do get in H.264 files for a project, we have a workstation set off to the side that converts it all to ProRes 422 and WAV files over night. In the morning, we just relink to the better files and start working.
Certified DaVinci Resolve Color Trainer • AdvancedColorTraining.com

Videoneth

PostFri May 24, 2024 1:48 pm

.ogg is not in v19 :(
Windows 10
19b3
nVidia 3090 - 555.85

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests