Premiere Pro Grading workflow help.

• Author

Ernest Savage

Premiere Pro Grading workflow help.

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 11:38 pm

Hello,

I’m being forced to work in PPro.

I know this is a Resolve forum, but I don’t think PPro colorists know what they are missing. I will post there too with hope.

I think there are enough solutions for the inherent color management problems (at least for what I’m doing).

Thankfully the Tangent panel can be mapped.

But I would love some workflow advice.

1. Best way to save and wipe stills and offline references? Right now I use comparison view, drop locators on the timeline, and use a macro to copy the timecode from a locator and paste it in the reference side of the comparison view. It’s OK, and fast, but requires so much more thought. Also there is no way to compare more than two shots.

2. Is there anything like color trace, or some macro that can copy and paste Lumetri FX using tape or clip name and source TC?

3. A better way of working with Lumetri source and clip mode for corrections. I still think AVID Symphony has the best method for this. You can color source tapes, master clips, subclips, etc, and then
convert them to segment mode (each clip has it correction). Always wondered why Resolve only has Remote and Local.

I want to do dailies in PPro using source clip. Those corrections will then follow the clip to any sequence. Once the cut locks, I’d like to convert source clip Lumetri FX to clip Lumetri FX.

If none of this is possible, what are you doing when working in PPro to compensate?

Thanks!
Windows 10, Latest DR, GB TRX40, AMD 3970X, 2xRTX Titan, 128 Gb RAM, PCIe 4.0 SSD (boot), PCIe 4.0 SSD Raid 0 (cache) 14Gb/s, BM 4K, Raid 5 3.3Gb/s (storage). Mac 2019, OWC raid 0 (cache) 6GB/s, AMD MPX Pro Vega II, 256 GB RAM, 1Gb/s storage.

Marc Wielage

Re: Premiere Pro Grading workflow help.

PostFri Mar 29, 2024 1:59 am

I think you would be better off asking this question on Adobe's own forum:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere ... &tabid=all

For me, I can't think of a single thing I can't do better in Resolve when it comes to color or dailies. I don't dispute there are editors that prefer to edit in Premiere, and After Effects has its fans.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Ernest Savage

PostFri Mar 29, 2024 6:28 am

For me, I can't think of a single thing I can't do better in Resolve when it comes to color or dailies.

Ya me too, but I don’t have a choice.

I posted in Adobe PPro forum as well, but I’m hoping for some cross-platform advice. It seems many people are in silos, and can’t see the benefits of other apps.
Windows 10, Latest DR, GB TRX40, AMD 3970X, 2xRTX Titan, 128 Gb RAM, PCIe 4.0 SSD (boot), PCIe 4.0 SSD Raid 0 (cache) 14Gb/s, BM 4K, Raid 5 3.3Gb/s (storage). Mac 2019, OWC raid 0 (cache) 6GB/s, AMD MPX Pro Vega II, 256 GB RAM, 1Gb/s storage.

Andy Mees

PostFri Mar 29, 2024 10:42 am

Not sure this is posted in the right section of the forum Ernest... for questions about Adobe Premiere / Lumetri Color the 'Off Topic' section would probably be the most appropriate, definitely not here in the 'Davinci Resolve Feature Requests' section.

Regarding item 2, no, there's no such functionality in Premiere.

Regarding item 3, yes, you can apply Lumetri Color corrections to the 'source'... in the Effect Controls panel you will see there is a Source tab to the left of the sequence instance tab: add your Lumetri Color there for source side corrections that will apply to all instances.

Ernest Savage

PostFri Apr 05, 2024 4:33 pm

We’ll I got some answers:

1) Sorry, but there's no Resolve-like 'stills' option ... which is (in Resolve) actually simply a quick storage of the selected node/nodes settings as a preset. Yea, it would be incredibly handy.

In Premiere, you save Lumetri presets ... which are, unfortunately, only that entire Lumetri instance,. as set. You can't save say the Curves or HSL tab to apply to another clip. Which is something I've been asking for ... well, since they killed SpeedGrade ... sigh.

I've seen people use a second sequence, just a short bit of a couple seconds of maybe 3-10 shots, that have grades on them. So that sequence is only what, 30 seconds long?

They bring that in as clips not nests before anything else on the sequence, and can decently quickly jump clip to clip to get a reference image, and/or copy-paste a Lumetri instance or stack to a timeline clip. Might help you. Yea, it's a bit of a pain to setup, but for projects with a lot of clips on the sequence, the setup time saves a ton of hassle and time down the road.

2) Nope. The only way to do something similar would be to use the "Source" process. With some Lumetri presets, select clips in a bin (you can use search bins for this of course to get all the clips with X metatdata) ... then apply the selected Lumetri preset to the selected clips in the bin.

As a Source effect, that is applied to every use of any bit of any of those clips anywhere in the project.

3) See the answer above. You can do what you need mostly using Source processes.

I get (mostly) clips with chip chart shots, or at least, of cameras I have a chip chart shot with. I will pick a clip or two of each camera, make a sequence. Do a Basic tab operation to get tonal response "normal" or to taste. Then a Curves tab process of Hue v Hue and Hue v Sat to get them similar. Save the individual Lumetri presets named for those cams.

Then select all of each cam in the Project, apply that Lumetri preset. Now dropping any clip on a sequence, they're at least mostly close enough to start working. Best alternate to Resolve's long list of camera input transforms.

rNeil H

PostFri Apr 05, 2024 6:37 pm

Yep ... that's lil old me replying.

In Resolve there are a TON of say input options to choose, easy to even set to auto apply.

In Premiere you have to plan out and then create your own "input" options. Setting a series of clips onto a sequence, setting each up for things like gray levels and Hue v Hue from clip chart shots. Save each named Lumetri preset. Dump that sequence of course.

Now to start working, organize bins or search bins by camera, select all, then apply the appropriate Lumetri preset by drag/drop.

For Comparison work, slide the timeline clips over to the right. Add a second or two of your Hero shots at the beginning. You can quickly move the Reference selection then to the appropriate clip.

If say you cut between 2/3 cameras down a scene, do sequence corrections on each first instance to match, then copy the clip's sequence instance of Lumetri and paste to the other clips of that camera on the sequence.

As even if you do need to tweak a later instance, you'll be pretty close.

And oh my freaking deity, if you don't have at least a Ripple and some button box like a Streamdeck or Orbweaver, it's a slog.

With the incredible mapping you can do to a full Elements panel, coupled with an old tablet in Tangent Vs mode for an additional Tangent button panel and a smash box of buttons ... that actually gets pretty decent quickness.

Even as poorly designed as Lumetri is for actual color workFLOW.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Ernest Savage

PostMon Apr 08, 2024 1:13 am

Thanks again Neil,

I do like the mapping from Tangent. You can have controls from multiple pages open at once.

I guess I’ll stick with Markers and a macro that can paste the TC from the marker to the source side of comparison mode.

I’m gonna check on Monday if I can have thumbnails in markers. Don’t answer if it’s no! Let me have hope until Monday.

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests