Update every editor wants in next version of DaVinci Resolve

• Author

Hritik Mavi

Update every editor wants in next version of DaVinci Resolve

PostFri Mar 29, 2024 10:01 am

Hello sir,
I have been using Davinci Resolve for a year now and I only use this software to do everything in editing including vfx and motion graphics. There is literally nothing that can't be done in Fusion page that people do in After Effects or some big softwares; it is almost perfect editing software for my needs. However, there are some things that if changed can make things easier and faster for us editors in the fusion page. Here are all the major changes that we want:

1. Power bins during cloud collaboration freezes the pc as we have a big library of assets that we organized and use in local workflow - Would you please fix this?

2. For the shapes in fusion:
a. sMerge - we can't change what to put in the background and what to put in the foreground in this node and so we have to use too many sMerge nodes which is a lot time consuming - Can we do some layer based thing like multimerge node for the shapes also.
b. There is sBoolean node for masking in shapes in fusion but with a limitation - when we want to mask multiple shapes with different styles - sBoolean node changes the style to default of every shapes and in the style tab, we have only Replace option there - if it can be fixed, it would be great help.
c. If sMerge is changing - when we use sOutline for multiple shapes as an output from the sMerge - it gives us the outline of every shape even if it is below all the shapes and so we have to use sOutline for every single shapes one by one and then use sMerge again to add it to the main pipeline.
(All these things can be done easily without shapes but we want to use shapes because it the vector and doesn't loose quality when scaling.)
d. Can we also have sText node or something like changing the text to shapes?

3. Can we have word by word animation in the text+ node's follower modifier?

4. Faster rendering for Depth of Field in 3d and motion blur for both 3d and 2d.

5. When we import an SVG into the fusion - we get like thousands of nodes containing only masks and Backgrounds with merge nodes and also not in shape nodes - Can we have something like SVG nodes which have layers like Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop?

6. For the paint tool - We can duplicate images or shapes along the path in the PolylineStroke but can't align those images along the path. It would help us a lot if we can have this.

7. Motion Paths for 3d animations without adding new keyframes and just using the 2 keyframes to adjust the timing and spacing just like displacement in the transform node for 2d animations.

8. There is an option to the very left of the timeline scroll bar where if you right click - give us a lot of proxy options that reduced the quality but has not affect in the caching the playback - I don't use it as I already have a powerful pc but can help if we can do something like that in terms of speed.

9. (Not necessary) - Can we have something for the map graphics like GeoLayers for the DaVinci?

10. After 18.5, Davinci is crashing more for some reason - sometimes a bug appears and I create my composition again to fix it.

These are the major changes I have collected over the past few months. I really believe that DaVinci Resolve is the best software in terms of editing for everyone and I often get into a debate with my colleague editors who are using AE.
Adding these changes in fusion will make it more better.
And if I am wrong somewhere, please do correct me...

Thanks!

Jim Simon

Re: Update every editor wants in next version of DaVinci Res

PostFri Mar 29, 2024 2:52 pm

Best practice is to search first, to see if someone already asked. If not, post one idea per thread with a very brief description of the idea in the thread's title. This keeps the conversation on track and makes it easier for other users to search out the idea and add their votes.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Tom Early

PostFri Mar 29, 2024 3:06 pm

Hritik Mavi wrote:10. After 18.5, Davinci is crashing more for some reason - sometimes a bug appears and I create my composition again to fix it.

If you encounter any bugs or crashes you need to report each one very specifically if you want anything done about it, and it should be done in the main forum. More details on this can be found here.

Also you say these are changes that 'every' editor wants when you are actually referring to VFX artists and GFX designers, you should change the title of this thread.
MBP2021 M1 Max 64GB, macOS 14.4, Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.7

John Paines

PostFri Mar 29, 2024 3:15 pm

Jim Simon wrote:Best practice is to search first, to see if someone already asked. If not, post one idea per thread with a very brief description of the idea in the thread's title.

You haven't noticed that Peter Chamberlain routinely thanks users who post several more or less related feature requests/common deficiencies at once?

Perhaps a best practice here is to distinguish your "best practices" from those of BMD? Not everyone is working towards that steak-knife set.....

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests