Some Optimization Ideas

• Author

JonyJB

Some Optimization Ideas

PostTue Apr 16, 2024 8:01 pm

Hi,

I have some optimizations in mind that I just wanted to get out there, maybe it sicks, maybe not. :)

1. Compound Clips: It would be nice if you could open the Compound clips inside the Timeline that they are placed in. So like a small timeline in a timeline.

2. Curves: The splines are the reverse. You can allready see them inside the timeline, but to make fine adjustments, it would be nice to have them as a Panel or inside of the Inspector too.

4. Magic Mask in Fusion: It just looses to often the mask data. So I create a comp withe it, start working on other clips and the tracked data or mask per frame is gone. This happens very often for me.

3. Fusion Implementation. For this one I don't finde a nice result, but we now have 4 ways to work with Fusion. You can work on the clip, on an Adjustment layer, on a Fusion Clip and now withe Reference Compesitions. My main problem is that some things are working with every way and some don't. Like OpticalFlow and Vector Motion Blur are only working on the clip itself, not on an adjustment clip. This also results in multiple ways to create presets. You just often have to redo stuff because your comp is acting not like intended on the Edit Page. I think the connection between Edit and Fusion could needs a rework.

Thank's a lot for your work so far!

Cheers.

Joe Shapiro

Re: Some Optimization Ideas

PostTue Apr 16, 2024 9:17 pm

Both 1 and 4 - which is listed third - have been asked for a fair amount. 4 has been shouted from the rooftops! All sound like ideas most will agree with. BMD reads this stuff but almost never responds as they have a strong policy to not discuss future work.
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

Olivier MATHIEU

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 5:26 am

JonyJB wrote:Hi,

3. Fusion Implementation. For this one I don't finde a nice result, but we now have 4 ways to work with Fusion. You can work on the clip, on an Adjustment layer, on a Fusion Clip and now withe Reference Compesitions. My main problem is that some things are working with every way and some don't. Like OpticalFlow and Vector Motion Blur are only working on the clip itself, not on an adjustment clip. This also results in multiple ways to create presets. You just often have to redo stuff because your comp is acting not like intended on the Edit Page. I think the connection between Edit and Fusion could needs a rework.

"Compound clip" could disappear and and "Fusion clip" could replace it. If you then renamed the fusion clip in compound clip ... nobody will noticed the differences ... except ones who work in fusion page.

The referenced Fusion Comp (RFC latter) opens new horizons. it has as many MediaIn as selected elements on tracks with their own resolution (big difference with Fusion Clip).
Before Resolve 19 I thought we were stuck forever to not have several MediaIn from the timeline with there own resolution.
And BlackMagicDesign dit it!!
Now the way it's implemented on the top track .. is a little bit weird
I would see a a "referenced Layer" object that let you access to individual element on track beneath with it's own resolution. Make more sense to me to have the Fusion work applied on "neutral" element.
Resolve Studio 18.6.x & Fusion Studio 18.6.x | MacOS 13.6.x | GUI : 3840 x 2160 | Ntw : 10Gb/s
MacbookPro M2 Max

Editor, Compositing Artist
Davinci Resolve & Fusion Certified Trainer

Jim Simon

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 2:12 am

JonyJB wrote:4. Magic Mask in Fusion
There are improvement in version 19 on this front. Might be worth checking out.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Jim Simon

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 2:13 am

JonyJB wrote:So like a small timeline in a timeline.
How would that work from a GUI standpoint?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

JonyJB

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 9:06 pm

Olivier MATHIEU wrote:
JonyJB wrote:Hi,

"Compound clip" could disappear and and "Fusion clip" could replace it. If you then renamed the fusion clip in compound clip ... nobody will noticed the differences ... except ones who work in fusion page.

The referenced Fusion Comp (RFC latter) opens new horizons. it has as many MediaIn as selected elements on tracks with their own resolution (big difference with Fusion Clip).
Before Resolve 19 I thought we were stuck forever to not have several MediaIn from the timeline with there own resolution.
And BlackMagicDesign dit it!!
Now the way it's implemented on the top track .. is a little bit weird
I would see a a "referenced Layer" object that let you access to individual element on track beneath with it's own resolution. Make more sense to me to have the Fusion work applied on "neutral" element.

I did not want to say that the different options that we have right now are irrelevant (despite what you said, a merge of compound and Fusion clip would be wise). The new options that the referenced comp gives us are awesome.
Your Idea of a "referenced layer" is really nice. I could imagine something like a third timeline "group" (Video, Audio, Fusion/Effects).

Jim Simon wrote:
JonyJB wrote:So like a small timeline in a timeline.
How would that work from a GUI standpoint?

This idea above would also incorporate my wish for a Compound clip view in the Timeline.

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests