DaVinci Resolve 17 | Feature Requests list

• Author

eastsunrecords@gmail.com

Re: DaVinci Resolve 17 | Feature Requests list

PostSat Aug 03, 2019 4:53 pm

Im just new at resolve, only a feew weeks.
I a a spanish producer (sorry for my english) working with protools and other daws, and for fun i make videos of the recording artists in studio.
Using vegas and premiere.
and, ok resolve have more power, like a lot nodes a color correction tools . . . but SOUND
Lsten, IS THE WORST THING THAT I SEE IN MY LIFE

POOR, very poor, not intuitive for users from any daw
Starting with ASIO? No asio? ha ha ha ha (its a joke?)
Please, make a REAL DAW inside this big tool.
fairlight now is poor than cool audio in 2001, 20 years ago . . its a really pain
(like edit video in protools . . .or other daw)
If you want a tool NON SERIOUS , not work in fairlight, and i will work record a simple track un protools (like the most people) or if you want a real audio tool . . . then take this a little more serious.

Try record a rockband with 10 or more inputs, drums, guitars, etc with this fairligt, at 48800 , sync esternal clocks,and lots of real hardware inserts .

Only one track and get glitches, noises, pops . . . ufssss

micaelmg

PostSat Aug 03, 2019 5:04 pm

It would be great if the Adjustment Controls were in a single page.

Its a frustrating to keep switching from one page to another.

Or at least a shortcut for switching it.

My dream would be if Color boost, shadows and HL adjustments could be set to Wave Tangent control panel.

RealSting

PostSun Aug 04, 2019 5:36 am

Better Support for D700 graphics cards!
Late 2013 (Trashcan) MacPro
8 Core/32GB RAM/D700 GPU/1GB System SSD HDD
8 TB G-TECH RAID 0 Thunderbolt Ext. HDD (Media drive)
Focusrite 2i2 AI
27” Apple Retinal Display
Tangent Ripple Colour Surface
OSX Catalina (latest version) - Resolve Studio 17 beta

BenSchranz

PostSun Aug 04, 2019 5:55 am

RealSting wrote:Better Support for D700 graphics cards!
Might just be time for an upgrade... :-(

That GPU will be going on six years this upcoming January.

That card isn't really recommended for Resolutions above 1600x900. I'd suggest finding a lightly used GTX 10 series card, or one of the newer AMD 5700 xt's. But last I heard the AMD cards were running into some issues with H264 in premiere and resolve. I'm sure they'll get that worked out this month though.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Jake Reeder

PostSun Aug 04, 2019 6:08 am

A timeline mode designed for videos that play on loop.

This would be for making things like cinemagraphs in resolve, or any video for places like Instagram that loop a short video over and over. If you want to hide the seam where the video starts and ends, you currently need to duplicate the start of the video and put it at the end, then keep track of where the hidden cut is. The problem is when you change anything at the start or end of the video, you need to exactly duplicate that change on the other side, otherwise it won't match up.

If there was a looping timeline mode, you would drag clips in, set the start and end points, and it would loop around on either side of those.

That way, any change you make to the seam on one side would be mirrored at the other end.

One way to visualise it is a circular timeline, but it would be more intuitive and easier to program if it was just a normal timeline that repeats over and over.

RealSting

PostSun Aug 04, 2019 6:10 am

BenSchranz wrote:

That card isn't really recommended for Resolutions above 1600x900. I'd suggest finding a lightly used GTX 10 series card, or one of the newer AMD 5700 xt's. But last I heard the AMD cards were running into some issues with H264 in premiere and resolve. I'm sure they'll get that worked out this month though.

But you can’t upgrade those cards on this £6000 L2013 MacPro. So BM really need to be working on this issue! Anyway, who edits in H.264? Yack!

And so what if the card is 6 years old? .. if you look at the developments in GPU Components and speeds, there have been few generations of chipsets that have made significant improvements since.. why is everyone so besotted with ‘must have latest graphics cards bollocks..” This card is not that far behind and takes full advantage of the latest developments in Metal .. ( take a look at the performance and reports of Final Cut Pro X with the 700s… I know, because I’ve been a user of Final Cut Pro X user since it’s inception and I never had a single issue with the D700 cards) These cards should be fine, especially for basic editing tasks which is where I’m seeing the issue. And in any case, I had no issues with D700 and the latest version of DR 15 !!
Focusrite 2i2 AI

BenSchranz

PostSun Aug 04, 2019 7:23 am

RealSting wrote:
BenSchranz wrote:

But you can’t upgrade those cards on this £6000 L2013 MacPro. So BM really need to be working on this issue! Anyway, who edits in H.264? Yack!

And so what if the card is 6 years old? .. if you look at the developments in GPU Components and speeds, there have been few generations of chipsets that have made significant improvements since.. why is everyone so besotted with ‘must have latest graphics cards bollocks..” This card is not that far behind and takes full advantage of the latest developments in Metal .. ( take a look at the performance and reports of Final Cut Pro X with the 700s… I know, because I’ve been a user of Final Cut Pro X user since it’s inception and I never had a single issue with the D700 cards) These cards should be fine, especially for basic editing tasks which is where I’m seeing the issue. And in any case, I had no issues with D700 and the latest version of DR 15 !!

"Anyway, who edits in H.264? Yack!"

I typically edit BRaw these days, but lots of people edit and render out h264 and h265. I guess my response to that would be "who would buy a trashcan Mac?"

"why is everyone so besotted with ‘must have latest graphics cards bollocks..”

Well for a measly $300 I can get a new GPU with a 300-400% increase in performance compared to a d700. I guess that logic alone is good enough for me.

And of course you're going to have a better experience with an NLE that is specifically made and optimized for Apple products...

RealSting

Re: DAVINCI 17 | Big feature request list.

PostSun Aug 04, 2019 7:37 am

[quote="Denis Pilon"]Subtitles:

I said ‘who would EDIT H.264/5” not render out in that... BIG DIFFERENCE!

“Who would buy a trash can MacPro?” Upon release, thousands did, including myself and 3/4 of my production team at a major production facility in West London!

‘400% increase in performance over D700’ - show me where you got those facts from because I seriously doubt that!

I’m sorry, but you just haven’t put forward a convincing enough argument for me given my experience of the issue; the fact that some other D700 users are not reporting this and that Resolve 15.3.1 doesn’t exhibit these issues at all on my machine. However, I’m not totally ruling out the possibility of D700 issues - I just need to see some direct evidence of it.

I appreciate your input.
Focusrite 2i2 AI

BenSchranz

PostSun Aug 04, 2019 6:50 pm

RealSting wrote:
Denis Pilon wrote:Subtitles:

“Who would buy a trash can MacPro?” Upon release, thousands did, including myself and 3/4 of my production team at a major production facility in West London!

‘400% increase in performance over D700’ - show me where you got those facts from because I seriously doubt that!

I’m sorry, but you just haven’t put forward a convincing enough argument for me given my experience of the issue; the fact that some other D700 users are not reporting this and that Resolve 15.3.1 doesn’t exhibit these issues at all on my machine. However, I’m not totally ruling out the possibility of D700 issues - I just need to see some direct evidence of it.

I appreciate your input.
You're right, there is a big difference between editing and rendering h264. I just wanted to mention that it was an issue, more information on a product is better than less.

In 2013 I considered buying one, but after looking at the internals and the lack of upgradability, it was obvious to me that the product was more of a poorly thought through fad than a solid workstation. That was made evidently clear when Apple recalled them due to defective gpus.

That being said, Open CL benchmark, technical city, tech powerup, user benchmark, are just a few online resources showing new mid-range cards capabilities compared to the d700.

If you like your GPU and machine, and it still works for you, then that's great! I just wouldn't bank on utilization for older cards in future updates.

Jim Simon

PostSun Aug 04, 2019 9:19 pm

RealSting wrote:you can’t upgrade those cards on this £6000 L2013 MacPro.

Time to build a new PC. They're faster for less money.

Plus, they're not macs! :D
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

DietmarLin

PostMon Aug 05, 2019 9:12 am

Singularity wrote:Ability to export still frames from edit or color pages at full (source) resolution.

I, too, would consider this possibility a clear enrichment.

supereight

PostMon Aug 05, 2019 12:33 pm

I would really appreciate being able to unclip the viewer on the Colour page and move it and resize larger on a second screen.
Windows 11 Pro
DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.5 Davinci Resolve Speed Editor
Ryzen 9 3950X 16 Core Processor 3.9GHz
AMD ROG STRIX X570 - E-Gaming motherboard 128GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 8GB RAM

Drakulica

PostMon Aug 05, 2019 1:15 pm

micaelmg wrote:My dream would be if Color boost, shadows and HL adjustments could be set to Wave Tangent control panel.
¸

That will be great but not gona happen. Sometimes I think is better that I buy blackmagic micro panel instead WAVE 2 because of this.
Last edited by Drakulica on Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drakulica

PostMon Aug 05, 2019 1:21 pm

daftdomi wrote:Real High Resolution Display Scaling under Windows. Not just 100 or 200 %.

That is problem only on windows and I think that need to be fixed right now, not in version 17.

But blackmagic doesn't want to address the issue at all, and I don't know why???

RealSting

PostMon Aug 05, 2019 1:30 pm

MIXED FRAME RATES ON A TIMELINE.. like FCPX does - FCPX 'just does it' without any user intervention!
Focusrite 2i2 AI

Drakulica

PostMon Aug 05, 2019 1:41 pm

RealSting wrote:MIXED FRAME RATES ON A TIMELINE.. like FCPX does - FCPX 'just does it' without any user intervention!

Why you cant mix frame rates in Davinci resolve?

RealSting

PostMon Aug 05, 2019 1:58 pm

Drakulica wrote:
RealSting wrote:MIXED FRAME RATES ON A TIMELINE.. like FCPX does - FCPX 'just does it' without any user intervention!

Try sync’ing production audio from different clips - on my system clips go out of sync.
Focusrite 2i2 AI

Drakulica

PostMon Aug 05, 2019 2:29 pm

RealSting wrote:
Drakulica wrote:

Try sync’ing production audio from different clips - on my system clips go out of sync.

Hmmm.... Do you use Davinici resolve multicam sync or plural eyes?

Zeb Chadfield

PostMon Aug 05, 2019 3:27 pm

Advanced report export from edit index. I'd be keen for a txt, xml and PDF log export option where you choose what is included based on some tick boxes. For the PDF export you could also include a frame grab of each shot with the option to have annotations burned into it too. This would be great for the QC and client review, notes etc.

VGaneshK

PostMon Aug 05, 2019 4:31 pm

Ryan Humphrey wrote:Technically a Fusion request, but the entire 3D system in Fusion needs a ground-up re-write. It's not even just one thing, but a whole host of things that have Fusion so far behind industry standards that aspects are starting to be irrelevant. It's not that you can't do amazing things with the tools that are there, but at a certain point getting anyone who is used to modern tools to learn how to work with Fusion's tools is a losing battle.

Indicators are things like only being able to cast shadows with spotlights. No global illumination. No ray tracing. Lack of accurate refraction/transparency/reflections. No meaningful grouping and parenting tools.

Fusion's text tools, both 3D and 2D, are also years behind. No kerning and layout controls. No per-character animation and settings. The 3D extrusion and beveling is even kind of janky.
Yup.....all in all fusion should level up it's core engine to next step

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 Pro using Tapatalk

Jon Greene

PostMon Aug 05, 2019 6:48 pm

Jake Reeder wrote:A timeline mode designed for videos that play on loop.

This would be for making things like cinemagraphs in resolve, or any video for places like Instagram that loop a short video over and over. If you want to hide the seam where the video starts and ends, you currently need to duplicate the start of the video and put it at the end, then keep track of where the hidden cut is. The problem is when you change anything at the start or end of the video, you need to exactly duplicate that change on the other side, otherwise it won't match up.

If there was a looping timeline mode, you would drag clips in, set the start and end points, and it would loop around on either side of those.

That way, any change you make to the seam on one side would be mirrored at the other end.

One way to visualise it is a circular timeline, but it would be more intuitive and easier to program if it was just a normal timeline that repeats over and over.

+1

Trensharo

PostTue Aug 06, 2019 2:47 am

RealSting wrote:
Denis Pilon wrote:Subtitles:

Many people who buy DSLR's who capture video in H.264/AVC or H.265. There are many. Yes, even those who use smartphones.

I thought that, by now, you people would have put 2 and 2 together, but it seems that there is so resistance to the fact that video editing and high end video production software isn't a market catered only to higher end commercial/film editors.

Welcome to the YouTube era.

Not sure why so much effort is put into challenging these feature requests or feedback items, which really don't affect "you guys" (speaking generally - purposely) in any way at all.

aglyons

DR17 REQ: Ignore clip in Color and Fusion pages

PostTue Aug 06, 2019 4:14 am

I, as do others, sometimes use video tracks to do things like add custom ratio blanking bars or things like adjustment layers. These items span the entire length of the timeline. This poses a problem when it comes time to grade on the color page or make composites in Fusion.

The color page lines clips up in the order that they show up in the timeline. The top layer, which spans the entire timeline, ends up trapping the focus even though the play head, and preview window, has moved on to another clip. It's only when the adjustments that you're making isn't making any difference is when you realize that you have the top clip selected still.

I tried filtering the clips using the groups option but that ends up hiding the effects of that top layer.

I would like to see a way to flag clips so that they are ignored in the color page or even the Fusion page where I ran into a similar problem. I had the play head over a clip and clicked the Fusion tab. Fusion pulled in the top clip that spanned the entire timeline (which was an adjustment layer btw).

Needless to say, while trying to learn DR, these kinds of things don't make it easier to figure out.

swimmer98r

PostTue Aug 06, 2019 1:16 pm

Any kind of organization system for Fusion titles in the edit tab. Preferably a drop down category system so we won't have to scroll through all the ones we won't use. I would love to have a quick subfolder for all my macros.

Roland Walter

PostTue Aug 06, 2019 2:27 pm

Auto select text when creating a new subtitle, so I can just start typing and don't have to double click to select the text "Subtitle" to overwrite.

Jim Simon

PostTue Aug 06, 2019 2:36 pm

Trensharo wrote:Not sure why so much effort is put into challenging these feature requests or feedback items, which really don't affect "you guys"

Speaking for myself, I'm not a fan of the way Adobe caters to the "YouTube" crowd. I much prefer the way BMD caters to the "Cinema/Broadcast" crowd.

While Resolve's development does significantly outpace Premiere Pro, resources are not infinite. I'd prefer they're spent on other things.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Trensharo

PostTue Aug 06, 2019 7:00 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
Speaking for myself, I'm not a fan of the way Adobe caters to the "YouTube" crowd. I much prefer the way BMD caters to the "Cinema/Broadcast" crowd.

While Resolve's development does significantly outpace Premiere Pro, resources are not infinite. I'd prefer they're spent on other things.

Adobe isn't catering to anything.

They're respecting their users, because every one of them pays for the product. They deserve to have their needs met, or at least considered, regardless of how a specific user feels. It's called fairness. I don't see why it should be any different with any other product.

And we're free to register our own feature requests, in addition to theirs.

Apple and Adobe were just far more responsive to a growing market. That is not catering. That's good business sense. That doesn't make those products less professional. It just makes them more broadly optimal for more people, because Apple/Adobe actually thought about them when developing the software.

The reason why Resolve is gaining those users is due to pricing. A lot of the features it has added have existed in Adobe CC for years, so development pacing is bound to be "faster" - at least the perception of it. They are adding adding features that target more solved problems than Adobe, and integrating already existing acquisitions into Resolve.

Some of the things those people are asking for are basic QoL requests... They can't even do that, without a certain sect of entitled/defensive "professionals" giving them a regurgitated sermon about what is proper...

And honestly... stop scapegoating Adobe. That's getting really old.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Aug 07, 2019 3:31 am

Guys, lets just focus on requests for Resolve and not worry about what or why other companies do or don't do something.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

DietmarLin

PostWed Aug 07, 2019 7:51 am

another suggestion: set in-and out points in editpage with the + button as in fairlightpage

rsf123

text wrapping

PostWed Aug 07, 2019 1:39 pm

The ability in Text or Text+ node to insert a large amount of text, with wrapping at the end of the line.

This has been pointed out before, below:

https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=52855

In the videos I'm making, frequently I need to display quotes of what people said, and it's a pain to have to write it in Microsoft Word to figure out the line pagination, and then write each line separately.

aquinox

• Warnings: 1

PostWed Aug 07, 2019 7:20 pm

- option to zoom in or out the timeline where my mouse is at, not neccesarily the playhead, just like PRPRO
- configure how alt/ctrl/shift+ scrolling behaves. It does not allow zooming in or out and moving quickly in the timeline
Speed ramping is way slower:
- have an option to have retime curves on by default or activate it with a hotkey
- have an option to have Retime Speed on by default, retime frame is useless to me.
It takes 10 seconds per clip or longer to get into speed ramping thanks to having to activate these things and the basic retime controls (how about an option to integrate retime controls and curves?)

Where is my 'a' button function to instantly select and move all clips beyond my mouse
Where is my shift ctrl x/v option, to cut/paste stuff and removing the created gaps, and creating the space for the new clips instead of overwriting the timeline?

How can I find specific clips in my timeline? Ctrl F is now full screening and did not find a context menu in the media pool, just to find clips there.

I don't know if any of these features already exist, if not it would greatly help my workflow and many others considering to make the jump from premiere!

- Options to edit still available in color tab, just like in PRpro.
AMD3700x
32GB DDR4
RTX2060 super
SSD
Win10

Time wasted due to resolve bugs: 38 hours (and counting.. just used for 6 months)
Time wasted due to Premiere bugs: 108 hrs (final)

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostWed Aug 07, 2019 9:54 pm

Let's say that I saved in the gallery a still with 5 nodes.

Now I want to drop it in another shot, bur I want ti do something special: drag the thumbnail from the gallery to a single node and have it switch that node to a compound node with the original 5 nodes correction encapsulated within.

Not sure if it is possible (did not RTFM on the topic)
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

RobStowell

PostThu Aug 08, 2019 1:46 am

Apologies if these things are already here - 17 pages, I haven't read them all!
I'd really love something in the video inspector that let's us change how the background of a clip works. So if you make it smaller, or move it, or crop it, or are working with a different frame aspect, you can chose to make the parts outside the clip transparent, or select a background colour (multiple colours and a fade between would be even more awesome :)). This would save me heaps of time.
I'd also love to be able to switch modes (edit/fusion/colour/audio/export) with shortcuts. I'm still learning shortcuts, and I know there are lots I don't know yet. (I had a very frustrating but ultimately brilliant day on an early nle when I hid the mouse and tried to do everything with the keyboard. On that system (edit*) in the end, I could! Went back to using a mouse, but soooo much better. I'm not sure if there even exists an NLE where that's possible now (tried on Avid and didn't get far.) But it's a brilliant thing to work towards.)

Will Howard

PostThu Aug 08, 2019 3:12 am

eastsunrecords@gmail.com wrote:Im just new at resolve, only a feew weeks.
I a a spanish producer (sorry for my english) working with protools and other daws, and for fun i make videos of the recording artists in studio.
Using vegas and premiere.
and, ok resolve have more power, like a lot nodes a color correction tools . . . but SOUND
Lsten, IS THE WORST THING THAT I SEE IN MY LIFE

POOR, very poor, not intuitive for users from any daw
Starting with ASIO? No asio? ha ha ha ha (its a joke?)
Please, make a REAL DAW inside this big tool.
fairlight now is poor than cool audio in 2001, 20 years ago . . its a really pain
(like edit video in protools . . .or other daw)
If you want a tool NON SERIOUS , not work in fairlight, and i will work record a simple track un protools (like the most people) or if you want a real audio tool . . . then take this a little more serious.

Try record a rockband with 10 or more inputs, drums, guitars, etc with this fairligt, at 48800 , sync esternal clocks,and lots of real hardware inserts .

Only one track and get glitches, noises, pops . . . ufssss

Your English is fine! But any specific requests besides ASIO? Fairlight page is still in development but has great potential. Let them know what you want.

Jim Simon

PostThu Aug 08, 2019 4:57 pm

aquinox wrote:- Options to edit still available in color tab, just like in PRpro.

Oh, I hope that never happens.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Jim Simon

PostThu Aug 08, 2019 4:58 pm

robstowell wrote:something in the video inspector that let's us change how the background of a clip works.

You can do that now by changing those clips which are underneath. I don't think the Inspector should be working on more than the selected clip, though.
Last edited by Jim Simon on Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Jim Simon

PostThu Aug 08, 2019 4:59 pm

robstowell wrote:I'd also love to be able to switch modes (edit/fusion/colour/audio/export) with shortcuts.

You can do that now. Look under Workspace menu.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Jim Simon

PostThu Aug 08, 2019 6:42 pm

Can we get the timecode for Multicam to respect the following?

Preferences>User>Editing>New Timeline Settings>Start Timecode

It's a PITA having to change that every - single - time we create a Multicam.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

snorkymedia

PostThu Aug 08, 2019 7:53 pm

Audio Waveforms inside Fusion, so it's easier to match frames to beats/sound
Preview Fonts. Font names tell us nothing
Audio sync in the timeline on the edit/Cut pages like PP does
Previous

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests