Sync in Timeline

• Author

MadPanic

Re: Sync in Timeline

PostFri Dec 06, 2019 12:04 pm

Dan Sherman wrote:A better workaround imo, is to use the cut page for this scenario.

If all your clips have time code and the appropriate meta data to determine angles, then as soon as you open the cut page the new clips will show up in the sync bin properly synced and ready to be cut into the timeline.

In a lot of ways the cut page makes the multi-cam functionality redundant unless you have 10+ angles.

I've tried the Cut Page and although it has some powerful features, there are some issues and it doesn't quite fit my use case. The issues I have found are below

I have camera A with native timecode (from BM Ursa Broadcast), and Camera B & C with LTC timecode recorded on audio tracks (+ 10 channels of sound recorded on external recorders, but I have left the external audio aside for now).

In the media page, Camera B & C I have right clicked and selected "Update Timecode from Audio Track" and this has indeed done that.

1. Timecode sync option in cut page doesn't seem to use just the timecode from Camera B&C (LTC timecode track) and presents just one camera in the left hand box, and effectively does nothing when clicking the sync button. Syncing in traditional MultiCam does respect the updated timecode from LTC. On further inspection, the cameras with LTC (recorded on Atomos Samurai), had the wrong file creation date on the file, but note that the embedded LTC Timecode is sample accurate, so it appears that the SYNC window, when selecting timecode, is basing it's decision on more than just the actual timecode. There is no way to modify the creation date in Resolve, but using the Unix touch command to set the correct date of the file, will then enable them to sync as expected.

2. The Sync bin function, awesome as it is, doesn't appear to have a live cut function like the traditional multicam workflow. So you can't watch and press the selected camera to cut. This is how I generally cut theatre / live performances.

It looks like under the hood, Resolve is creating a multicam clip for use by the cut page for angle selection, then creating effectively, a flattened view in the timeline. It's a different workflow with many advantages, but not a one size fits all solution to multicam .... yet!

Another thing to note, if you do have LTC in an audio channel of one of your cameras and don't mute it via clip attributes before you sync, when using the sync bin, you will hear the LTC channel! This is because the clip is actually embedded in a multicam clip used by the cut page, so if that clip was created before you mute the channel, it will be present. Just something to watch for.

The material I am cutting is made from 1 hour long theatre performances. If the cut page did have live switching it would have the added advantage of being able to see the footage from all cameras ahead of making the cut, but the current implementation seems to be geared for stop / cut / trim workflow, rather than live angle selection. Very nice functionality in the cut page and has many advantages / speed improvements, but would be so nice to have the live angle selection feature from traditional multicam workflow.
DaVinci Resolve Studio 16.2.5.015, MacPro 2009 upgraded to 2012, OSX High Sierra 10.13.6, 2x 3.46 Ghz 6-Core Xeon, 64Gb Ram, Nvidea GeForce GTX TITAN 6Gb, 4TB SSD (2 x 2TB in RAID 0). URSA Broadcast 6.7

etang77

PostSat Dec 28, 2019 10:44 am

We need to continue wishing!

This has been going on since at least 14.

ispyisail

PostWed Feb 19, 2020 6:49 pm

+1

Derek Howard

PostWed Feb 19, 2020 7:06 pm

+1 to this as well. This is a feature my team and I used often when we were all using Premiere.

We're using a clunky workaround right now by making a multicam clip them copy and pasting it to another timeline, but it has lot more unnecessary steps.

madwtf

PostFri Mar 06, 2020 12:10 pm

+1 for sync in timeline... missing so much after Premiere...
DR 16.2.055, Win10, Ryzen 2700X, 32Gb DDR4 3200Mhz, GTX1080, Studio 442.92, SSD (OS) + HDD 7200rpm

jamesalton.visuals

PostTue Jun 16, 2020 11:57 pm

This is absolutely imperative for workflow and ease of use. For any video I make that has any external recording in it, I can not use Davinci Resolve because I can not figure out how to sync audio for my workflow. Syncing and appending tracks or using multi-cam timelines DO NOT work for my workflow and do not allow the type of flexible editing that editing in the main timeline affords.

Right-click selected tracks, synchronize. It's as easy as that.

Let's see this in the next Davinci Resolve please.

etang77

PostFri Jun 19, 2020 2:39 am

I think what BM has been developing is for an ideal world.

But nothing is ever ideal, e.g. if the sound man messed up on set and have multiple files for each track instead of a multitrack file. Or maybe it was shot at high speed but now needs to sync back to normal speed, both of the examples mentioned would need to sync in timeline, as the way it syncs right now doesn't work for these cases.

I think along with this sync in timeline problem, the other problem is exporting aaf with full metadata, which it still can't at the moment. It might be two side to the same problem.
Last edited by etang77 on Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joselmartinezdiaz

PostFri Jun 19, 2020 10:23 am

+1

TheBloke

PostSun Jun 28, 2020 10:40 am

+1

This would have been super useful for me on my current project.
Resolve Studio 16.2.4.016 and Fusion Studio 16.2.4 on macOS Mojave 10.14.6

Hackintosh: X58, Intel X5670 @ 4.32 Ghz, 48GB RAM, AMD Vega 64 8GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x2160 (4K) & 3 x 1920x1200
Audio: Behringer UMC404HD

Mark Grgurev

PostSun Jun 28, 2020 7:24 pm

GeorgeDrake wrote:When I tell people what I miss most about Premiere its syncing on the timeline. Or in general. Even plural eyes xml files don't work.

I get why someone would want this but I don't understand why this would be preferable way of syncing clips. It's far messier and error-prone way of syncing thing. If you accidentally overwrite or delete a clip and you would lose syncing information. Syncing in the bin allows them to more reliably maintain sync throughout the edit.

jamesalton.visuals wrote:Right-click selected tracks, synchronize. It's as easy as that.

Doesn't change the fact that keeping sync relationships within your editing space is a bad idea. I have the same problem with Fusion Compositions existing within the timeline. Both have the potential for someone to inadvertently undo previous work.

etang77 wrote:if the sound man messed up on set and have multiple files for each track instead of a multitrack file. Or maybe it was shot at high speed but now needs to sync back to normal speed, both of the examples mentioned would need to sync in timeline, as the way it syncs right now doesn't work for these cases.

That doesn't remotely require syncing in the timeline. There really isn't any rule about how Media Pools should work in NLEs that says that videos can't be synced to multiple audio files. There's also things like the Cut page's Sync Bin which could be modified to fix this problem if it were only available on the Edit page. #CombineTheTimelinePages

etang77 wrote:I think what BM has been developing is for an ideal world.

Having to record audio and video separately is already unideal. The end goal of syncing these things should be to make it feel like they weren't recorded separately. Syncing in the timeline wouldn't do that, it would just be hacky solution to a problem just like pancake editing is.

Jim Simon

• Warnings: 1

PostMon Jun 29, 2020 3:02 pm

Mark Grgurev wrote:Syncing in the bin...

...doesn't suit all needs. The ability to select clips in a timeline and sync via the standard methods would give editors an additional option that it seems quite a few folks would find useful. ;)

Mark Grgurev

PostMon Jun 29, 2020 3:36 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
...doesn't suit all needs. The ability to select clips in a timeline and sync via the standard methods would give editors an additional option that it seems quite a few folks would find useful. ;)

Same problem I have with all of your posts: lack of examples. You said it doesn't suit all needs... like what?

Jim Simon

PostMon Jun 29, 2020 9:00 pm

Here's one:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=116815

Other editors may have their own ideas about how it would help them edit faster/easier.

Mark Grgurev

PostMon Jun 29, 2020 10:46 pm

Jim Simon wrote:Here's one:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=116815

Other editors may have their own ideas about how it would help them edit faster/easier.

That doesn't require syncing on the timeline. In fact it doesn't look like that guy would even want that.

His issue could be solved by adding more audio options to multi-cam clip and it's possible that the Sync Bin would suit his needs, too.

DaRizzla

PostTue Jun 30, 2020 7:44 am

+1

Jim Simon

PostThu Jul 02, 2020 5:07 pm

Mark Grgurev wrote:That doesn't require syncing on the timeline.

It's not about a work flow that 'requires' syncing on the timeline. The point is to add the option for those who wish to use it, such as myself and all the other +1's in the thread.

Mark Grgurev

PostThu Jul 02, 2020 7:50 pm

Jim Simon wrote:It's not about a work flow that 'requires' syncing on the timeline. The point is to add the option for those who wish to use it, such as myself and all the other +1's in the thread.

Your whole gimmick is rejecting other people's ideas based on what you think will take up development time. Not only would it waste that but it's not a good solution to the actual problem. I'm not gonna back bringing in one programs sloppy-ass ideas just because a bunch of people +1 it. I don't care that editors coming from one program want to be able to continue bad habits in another.

I love how you outright dismissed adding the option to interweave audio and video tracks even though it would be simple to implement and has timeline navigation and organizational benefits then you advocate for a feature that could potential make timelines messier just so that you could edit something out of sync and then sync it later.

Syncing in a bin is a matter finding sync points between media and linking them. That's difficult enough, now you want a behavior that does that then has to try to figure out how to best re-edit your timeline.

MadPanic wrote:If the cut page did have live switching it would have the added advantage of being able to see the footage from all cameras ahead of making the cut, but the current implementation seems to be geared for stop / cut / trim workflow, rather than live angle selection. Very nice functionality in the cut page and has many advantages / speed improvements, but would be so nice to have the live angle selection feature from traditional multicam workflow.

I agree. That's one of the reason I wish they would combine all the sequencing pages. There's random separations of functionality that hold things back. If they were merged then multi-cam and Sync Bin would undoubtedly be merged. I can go on an on about features disabled from the Edit page just to make the Fairlight page look less redundant. There's also instances where Edit has audio functionality that the Fairlight page doesn't and plenty of instances where people have suggesting improving one page by adding features from the others. It's ridiculous.

Jim Simon

PostFri Jul 03, 2020 2:58 pm

Mark Grgurev wrote:Your whole gimmick is rejecting other people's ideas based on what you think will take up development time.

That's one of three possible responses I offer.

I might agree, I might offer an improvement to the original idea, or I might vote no to the idea.

You're free to do the same here.

Jim Simon

PostFri Jul 03, 2020 3:00 pm

Mark Grgurev wrote:you advocate for a feature that could potential make timelines messier just so that you could edit something out of sync and then sync it later.

That actually wasn't my thinking here. The idea is to add the media to a timeline, sync it first, then edit it.

Your point about syncing after editing is quite valid.

Mark Grgurev

PostFri Jul 03, 2020 4:56 pm

Jim Simon wrote:That actually wasn't my thinking here. The idea is to add the media to a timeline, sync it first, then edit it.

Your point about syncing after editing is quite valid.

I apologize then. I figured your reasoning was to get started on the edit as soon as possible and worry about the sound later. I hadn't considered that you hadn't considered someone using such a feature after the edit.
Previous

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests