Clip Thumbnails in Edit Page

• Author

kinvermark

Re: Clip Thumbnails in Edit Page

PostTue Aug 13, 2019 2:38 pm

Great idea, except (IMO) should be implemented in the a separate area/window. This is similar to "storyboards" seen in other NLE's or simply the ability to drag clips into a manual user-sorted clip order within a bin.

Very useful when ordering sequence of many unrelated clips - typical for documentaries.
Windows 10 laptop. Intel i7-10750H, 32GB RAM, Nvidia 4070 ti Super eGPU, SSD disks. Resolve Studio (latest)

Jim Simon

PostTue Aug 13, 2019 11:20 pm

Australian Image wrote:I wouldn't mind even if you could move them around in the Colour Page where they're already displayed as thumbnails.

I would. I rather like keeping the editing tasks to the EDIT and CUT pages.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

kinvermark

PostWed Aug 14, 2019 1:33 am

Implementing a user-sort-order inside a Bin is probably the least intrusive. And perhaps the easiest for the developers.
Windows 10 laptop. Intel i7-10750H, 32GB RAM, Nvidia 4070 ti Super eGPU, SSD disks. Resolve Studio (latest)

Mark Grgurev

PostWed Aug 14, 2019 6:10 am

The problem with that is how it works with multi-track timelines.

Mark Grgurev

PostWed Aug 14, 2019 7:13 pm

Australian Image wrote:It shouldn't really make a difference, as you have to factor that in now if you're rearranging clips when putting together a coherent story (including audio). I'm just talking about a visual change to how clips are displayed (all the one thumbnail size), so that you can more easily see them in the timeline and move them about. Ideally you should be able to toggle between thumbnail view and clip view.

Except that it does. The clips view in the color page flattens everything into one row and is only vaguely representative of what the actual timeline looks like. That's fine though because you don't need that information when color grading. Even if it didn't flatten things into tracks then how would you account for different length clips or gaps?

This:

[Clip1][Clip2]
[Clip3][Clip4][Clip5]

Could represent:

[_____Clip1_______][___Clip2___]
[___Clip3___][__Clip4__][____Clip5____]

Or:

[_____Clip1_______]___________________[_____Clip2_____]
[____Clip3___][__Clip4________]______[____Clip5____]

Or:

________[_____Clip1_______][_____Clip2_____]
[____Clip3___][__Clip4________]______[____Clip5____]

Or any number of different number of different clip lengths with different gaps of different lengths.

Basically, making a timeline that has no representation of time is tricky in that it could behave extremely differently depending on how the software wants to work.

Basically, if it were limited to sorting timelines or clips on a single track with no gaps then it could work just fine.

kinvermark wrote:Implementing a user-sort-order inside a Bin is probably the least intrusive. And perhaps the easiest for the developers.

That wouldn't really be editing anything though which is what he wants to do with this idea. Though I agree that it's way more straight forward to implement and would help for storyboarding.
Last edited by Mark Grgurev on Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

kinvermark

PostWed Aug 14, 2019 8:45 pm

That wouldn't really be editing anything though which is what he wants to do with this idea. Though I agree that it's way more straight forward to implement and would help for storyboarding.

True, but in my experience, once you have laid out the order of clips in the bin (like a storyboard as you say) there is a lot less need to shuffle things at that point and EDIT page works fine. There is another NLE that has implemented "dynamic" (i.e. after loading to timeline) storyboarding, but I think the difficulty of implementing this is not worth the trouble. 80/20 rule!

kinvermark

PostWed Aug 14, 2019 9:26 pm

It never hurts to ask. If it can't be done, it can't be done, but this is the section for suggestions

+1. Absolutely agree.

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests