Request GPU Decode Toggle button on Render Page

• Author

carrytrainer.editor

Request GPU Decode Toggle button on Render Page

PostThu Sep 12, 2019 8:39 pm

I've noticed when working with 4k h264 and h265 footage from some cameras my AMD graphics card is prone to decoding with minor glitches and artifacts. I've observed this both with my new Radeon VII and a previous pair of RX 580's. I'm confident it's the GPU, not the footage, because I can disable Hardware Acceleration under preferences and then my final renders come out clean without any artifacts.

I do prefer the GPU acceleration for editing despite the artifacts... but I need to turn it on and off regularly. Everytime I enable or disable GPU Hardware Acceleration in the Preferences I need to restart DaVinci Resolve. If there was a toggle button to turn it on and off on the Render Page of Resolve that would be really handy for me.

Thanks in advance!
---
Ryzen 3800X | 32gb Ram | Radeon VII | EVGA Nu Audio Pro
M.2 System Drive | Duel Striped 6gb HDDs Project Drive | SSD Scratch Disk
4k 10-bit and 1440p Monitor

Final Renders are output 422 Uncompressed to separate x265 encoding machine.

Mel Matsuoka

Re: Request GPU Decode Toggle button on Render Page

PostFri Sep 13, 2019 12:47 am

Great idea. It's kinda stupid that you even need to have such a feature, but It's one of the things I really appreciate about the Adobe CC video apps, because in almost every case, when you have weird rendering, export or general stability issues, the solution is almost always to disable GPU acceleration. And it's nice that Premiere/AME doesn't require an app reboot when you do this.

I run into this issue so often on Premiere that I only do "Software Only" based encoding in Adobe Media Encoder now. It's slow as hell, but I can at least be assured that the export wont screw up behind my back.
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 / Decklink Mini Monitor / 14" 2021 Macbook Pro Max (macOS 12.5.1, M1 Max) / 32GB RAM

carrytrainer.editor

PostFri Sep 13, 2019 3:35 pm

Yeah, that's been my experience as well. For Final Output I don't even touch the GPU encoders. I've studied x265 on the doom9 forum and encoding experts say the CPU is simply the best option for encoding for compression and quality. In resolve I usually output uncompressed unless it's a draft for review.

I'm guessing GPU decoders work the same way. On my Samsung NX1 footage the GPU Decoder has a stripe without any color across the top of every frame. With Panasonic G85 footage I see minor of playback artifacts with the frames getting jumbled.

The GPU acceleration is great for editing, but a toggle to turn it off for final renders would be awesome.
---

Jim Simon

PostFri Sep 13, 2019 7:09 pm

Fixing the decode problem seems like the better course of action here, and in 16.1b3 there is a fix for some AMD issues.

Maybe give it a try?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

carrytrainer.editor

PostMon Sep 16, 2019 10:05 pm

I've got 16.1b3 running, and it's still an issue. Playback artifacts on footage from my Yi Action camera are very noticeable (4k x264 footage).
---

Trensharo

PostWed Sep 18, 2019 3:19 am

Jim Simon wrote:Fixing the decode problem seems like the better course of action here, and in 16.1b3 there is a fix for some AMD issues.

Maybe give it a try?

A Toggle to disable GPU Decoding when rendering timelines is both an easier fix for issues, as well as a better course of action.

You can't "fix" the issues for everyone due to the wide variance in GPUs, Drivers, and other elements of the machine configuration that can cause weird interactions.

Fixing bugs is always good, but this is a nice "easy" feature they can implement for the people who are willing to pay the price for reliable renders.

Jean Claude

PostWed Sep 18, 2019 4:51 pm

Sorry: BMD does not have to support the errors of a system.

It's a nonsense

It recommends a material: to everyone to follow or not his recommendations but in these conditions:
everyone to provide for his responsibilities! :?
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

carrytrainer.editor

PostTue Mar 17, 2020 11:54 pm

I'm not sure what fixed it but I no longer get playback artifacts with my Radeon VII GPU with hardware acceleration enabled. I'm using DaVinci Resolve version 16.2.

It came about after rebuilding my windows 10 operating system over the weekend.

Cheers
---

iamjon

PostTue Apr 28, 2020 7:11 pm

I have this issue with my AMD RX 580. When hardware acceleration is turned on, video playback glitches quite a lot. I followed AMD's instructions to do a completely clean driver install... that did not work. Tried rolling back to an even older driver... that did not work.

I'm using the latest version of Resolve (16.2.1). Not sure if an older version of Resolve would work better, as I'm fairly new to Resolve (but not NLE's), and my computer is only a couple months old.

Anyone else find a fix to this (besides turning off hardware acceleration)?

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests