Support for ProRes Raw

  • Author
  • Message
Offline

deezid

  • Posts: 317
  • Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:38 am
  • Real Name: Dennis Schmitz

Support for ProRes Raw

PostFri Sep 13, 2019 12:37 pm

With the relatively widespread support for ProRes RAW on many cameras like the S1H (6K even via HDMI), Nikon Z6/7, EVA-1 etc. it would only make sense for BMD to add support in Fusion and Davinci Resolve.

But I guess BMD and Apple are competing with their RAW codecs - good for them, bad for users who want to use Braw in FCPX or ProRes Raw in Resolve...
Download my 55M Advanced Luts for the Pocket 4K and 6K here:
www.55media.net/55m-p4k-color
Offline

deezid

  • Posts: 317
  • Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:38 am
  • Real Name: Dennis Schmitz

Re: Support for ProRes Raw

PostSat Sep 14, 2019 6:45 pm

Download my 55M Advanced Luts for the Pocket 4K and 6K here:
www.55media.net/55m-p4k-color
Offline

Charles Hull

  • Posts: 21
  • Joined: Wed May 01, 2019 3:30 am
  • Real Name: Charles Hull

Re: Support for ProRes Raw

PostFri Sep 20, 2019 3:24 am

I'm sure this has been discussed here, but there is a very simple work-around for running ProRes RAW in Resolve. When I first heard about it I thought it was too much hassle, and might not work well anyway, so I continued with FCPX for ProRes RAW. So the work-around is to transcode ProRes RAW to ProRes 4444. ProRes RAW is 12 bits, and ProRes 4444 is 12 image bits, so it is a good fit, and it runs well in Resolve. The simple and painless way to do this is to import all the clips into Compressor and bulk export them to ProRes 4444.

I've been shooting ProRes RAW since it first came out. I do mostly HDR, and get very good results with ProRes RAW and Resolve. Coincidently just ordered the Panasonic S1H and was happy to see it will have ProRes RAW via the Atomos NinjaV. I know how to handle this.
Using MacBook Pro M1 for Version 17.1
-------
iMac Pro, DeckLink Mini monitor 4K
Offline

elvisripley

  • Posts: 1
  • Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:10 am
  • Real Name: Elvis Ripley

Re: Support for ProRes Raw

PostSat Sep 21, 2019 1:11 am

I want to add another vote for this. I am getting a lot more ProRes RAW in and exporting using clips out of FCPX. I would love to just access the raw and decode straight into ACES while using Resolve.
Offline

deezid

  • Posts: 317
  • Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:38 am
  • Real Name: Dennis Schmitz

Re: Support for ProRes Raw

PostSat Sep 21, 2019 12:57 pm

Charles Hull wrote:I'm sure this has been discussed here, but there is a very simple work-around for running ProRes RAW in Resolve. When I first heard about it I thought it was too much hassle, and might not work well anyway, so I continued with FCPX for ProRes RAW. So the work-around is to transcode ProRes RAW to ProRes 4444. ProRes RAW is 12 bits, and ProRes 4444 is 12 image bits, so it is a good fit, and it runs well in Resolve. The simple and painless way to do this is to import all the clips into Compressor and bulk export them to ProRes 4444.

I've been shooting ProRes RAW since it first came out. I do mostly HDR, and get very good results with ProRes RAW and Resolve. Coincidently just ordered the Panasonic S1H and was happy to see it will have ProRes RAW via the Atomos NinjaV. I know how to handle this.


Also ordered the S1H, but not using MacOS. That's why I'm asking ;)
Heard that Editready will support it soon which may be an option.
Still Resolve being the only bigger NLE not supporting it is a bit of a bummer.
Download my 55M Advanced Luts for the Pocket 4K and 6K here:
www.55media.net/55m-p4k-color
Offline

Charles Hull

  • Posts: 21
  • Joined: Wed May 01, 2019 3:30 am
  • Real Name: Charles Hull

Re: Support for ProRes Raw

PostSat Sep 21, 2019 11:54 pm

deezid wrote:Also ordered the S1H, but not using MacOS. That's why I'm asking ;)
Heard that Editready will support it soon which may be an option.
Still Resolve being the only bigger NLE not supporting it is a bit of a bummer.


Good point. With Premiere Pro adding ProRes RAW there is hope that Adobe Media Encoder can do the conversion to ProRes 4444. And I like the idea that EditReady might to this; that would be slick and a natural extension of what they currently do. I see they have added BMRAW conversion already.

I expect it will be several months before S1H/Atomos is ready to go with ProRes RAW, so there is plenty of time for some third party to do this, Apple willing.
Using MacBook Pro M1 for Version 17.1
-------
iMac Pro, DeckLink Mini monitor 4K
Offline

seba_al

  • Posts: 6
  • Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:35 pm
  • Real Name: Sebastian Albert

Re: Support for ProRes Raw

PostSun Sep 29, 2019 4:20 pm

Another vote for ProRes Raw within Resolve!
I hope they will add this soon.


Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Offline
User avatar

Bruce.Williams

  • Posts: 28
  • Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:22 pm

Re: Support for ProRes Raw

PostSun Nov 10, 2019 6:58 pm

One more vote for ProRes Raw support in Davinci Resolve. I use a Sony FS5 along with the Atomos Shogun to capture raw and would love to be able to edit it in DR.
Bruce Williams Photography

www.facebook.com/BruceWilliamsPhotography
brucewilliams.zenfolio.com

Win 10 64 bit
ASUS MB: X99A with Intel i7 CPU, 3.3 GHz
32 GB RAM, 2 X 1TB + 2 X 500GB SSD
NVIDIA GTX 1080 with 8GB of RAM - 440.97
DaVinci Resolve 16.1.1
Offline
User avatar

robedge

  • Posts: 2000
  • Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:24 am
  • Location: U.S.
  • Warnings: 2
  • Real Name: Rob Edge

Re: Support for ProRes Raw

PostThu Dec 26, 2019 3:01 pm

I think that this issue goes well beyond Davinci Resolve and can’t be divorced from the question of what codecs Blackmagic cameras support.

I use a Mac computer, Final Cut and Compressor. One reason is that there is excellent integration between the computer and Final Cut/Compressor.

I would like to use my new Pocket 4K camera to shoot ProRes RAW. However, I’m not holding my breath. Blackmagic is trying to market its own Blackmagic RAW. Offering ProRes RAW would undercut its marketing effort. For me, the result is that I’m using my camera to shoot the non-RAW versions of ProRes. I’m not going to change editing platforms just to try out a new codec.

It isn’t obvious to me that Blackmagic would support ProRes RAW in Resolve, but not in its cameras. That doesn’t strike me as a particularly tenable position.

If Blackmagic persists in refusing to support ProRes RAW in the camera, I’ll just change cameras when the right product becomes available. As it is, the only reason that I purchased a Pocket 4K is that I want a setup that I can use without an external recorder, such as the Atomos recorders that now support ProRes RAW.

The other possibility is that Apple will decide to support Blackmagic RAW in Final Cut/Compressor. If that happens, I’ll give the codec a try. However, so far speculation about this possibility has been just that, speculation.
Image: Fujinon MK 18-55mm, Leica M primes, Pocket 4K

Sound: DPA & Schoeps mikes, Sound Devices recorder

Post Monitors: Eizo 27" UHD, Focal Solo6 Be
Offline

jbandes

  • Posts: 23
  • Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:18 pm
  • Real Name: Jaems Bandes

Apple Prores Raw

PostSun Jan 05, 2020 10:03 pm

With the adding of ProRes Raw to Adobe and other programs I truly hope that Resolve will be adding support for ProRes Raw. I understand that Black Magic has Raw but it would be so great I do resolve supported it as well. You already support ProRes so I really hope that you will also be supporting the new Apple ProRes Raw soon.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Offline

jbandes

  • Posts: 23
  • Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:18 pm
  • Real Name: Jaems Bandes

Re: Support for ProRes Raw

PostSun Jan 05, 2020 10:11 pm

Bruce.Williams wrote:One more vote for ProRes Raw support in Davinci Resolve. I use a Sony FS5 along with the Atomos Shogun to capture raw and would love to be able to edit it in DR.
Edius Pro 9 supports ProRes Raw on Windows. You can import into Edius and then export to ProRes 444 and then edit in Resolve. The only negative is that Nikon Z6 is 12 bit ProRes Raw and Edius is currently only supports 10 bit ProRes Raw.


Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Offline

Mark Grgurev

  • Posts: 787
  • Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:22 am

Re: Apple Prores Raw

PostSun Jan 05, 2020 11:31 pm

Why did you make your own Prores Raw thread right after you bumped another thread about adding Prores Raw?
Offline

jbandes

  • Posts: 23
  • Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:18 pm
  • Real Name: Jaems Bandes

Re: Apple Prores Raw

PostSun Jan 05, 2020 11:50 pm

I don't know what a bump is. If I did something wrong I appologize.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Offline

Mark Grgurev

  • Posts: 787
  • Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:22 am

Re: Apple Prores Raw

PostMon Jan 06, 2020 12:08 am

jbandes wrote:I don't know what a bump is. If I did something wrong I appologize.


Bumping a thread means you moved a thread up the thread list. That's not a bad thing, that happens every times someone posts in a thread. It just thought you had posted on the last thread before starting this one.

Next time you should search to see if the thread exists already before making a new thread.
Offline

ricardo marty

  • Posts: 1100
  • Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:03 am

Re: Support for ProRes Raw

PostMon Jan 06, 2020 1:55 am

robedge wrote:
If Blackmagic persists in refusing to support ProRes RAW in the camera, I’ll just change cameras when the right product becomes available. As it is, the only reason that I purchased a Pocket 4K is that I want a setup that I can use without an external recorder, such as the Atomos recorders that now support ProRes RAW.



Many could say The same thing about fcpx and braw- I don't think its only a bmd thing. Bmd is offered free to any nle- Prores is a licensed codec.

Ricardo Marty
Resolve Studio 17, Lenovo 7i15, i7-10750H Processor, 6 Cores, Nvidia 2060 6Gb, 16Gb ram, 512 nvme sd. Sony FS700R, Bmp4k, Sony A6600. Focusrite ableton
Offline

ricardo marty

  • Posts: 1100
  • Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:03 am

Re: Support for ProRes Raw

PostMon Jan 06, 2020 2:00 am

deezid wrote:https://www.newsshooter.com/2019/09/14/prores-raw-support-comes-to-avid-media-composer/
https://www.newsshooter.com/2019/09/15/ ... miere-pro/
https://www.newsshooter.com/2019/03/11/ ... e-year-on/


Braw is available in both avid and premier also in lightworks. FCPx is the only major nle that doesn't have braw. So why should we use fcpx. Most cameras that have prores raw is because of atomos. BMD will have braw through Video assist. So I guess there will be two camps for the near future.

Ricardo Marty
Resolve Studio 17, Lenovo 7i15, i7-10750H Processor, 6 Cores, Nvidia 2060 6Gb, 16Gb ram, 512 nvme sd. Sony FS700R, Bmp4k, Sony A6600. Focusrite ableton
Offline

jbandes

  • Posts: 23
  • Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:18 pm
  • Real Name: Jaems Bandes

Re: Support for ProRes Raw

PostMon Jan 06, 2020 2:48 am

ricardo marty wrote:
deezid wrote:https://www.newsshooter.com/2019/09/14/prores-raw-support-comes-to-avid-media-composer/
https://www.newsshooter.com/2019/09/15/ ... miere-pro/
https://www.newsshooter.com/2019/03/11/ ... e-year-on/


Braw is available in both avid and premier also in lightworks. FCPx is the only major nle that doesn't have braw. So why should we use fcpx. Most cameras that have prores raw is because of atomos. BMD will have braw through Video assist. So I guess there will be two camps for the near future.

Ricardo Marty
As ProRes Raw gains popularity and market share I can't imagine that BMD would not add it to Resolve. They already support ProRes.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Offline

jbandes

  • Posts: 23
  • Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:18 pm
  • Real Name: Jaems Bandes

Re: Support for ProRes Raw

PostMon Jan 06, 2020 2:49 am

Mark Grgurev wrote:
jbandes wrote:I don't know what a bump is. If I did something wrong I appologize.


Bumping a thread means you moved a thread up the thread list. That's not a bad thing, that happens every times someone posts in a thread. It just thought you had posted on the last thread before starting this one.

Next time you should search to see if the thread exists already before making a new thread.
Oh thanks for explaining. I will do that in the future.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Offline
User avatar

Rakesh Malik

  • Posts: 3080
  • Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:01 am
  • Location: Vancouver, BC

Re: Support for ProRes Raw

PostMon Jan 06, 2020 9:58 pm

jbandes wrote:As ProRes Raw gains popularity and market share I can't imagine that BMD would not add it to Resolve. They already support ProRes.


As far as I know, the sticking point is on Apple's side, not BMD's.
Last edited by Rakesh Malik on Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus ZenBook Pro Duo i9 Octacore/32GB/2060

Alienware M15 Hexacore i7/32GB/1070 Max-Q
Offline

the phoenix

  • Posts: 67
  • Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:11 pm
  • Real Name: yves lacroix

Re: Support for ProRes Raw

PostThu Jan 09, 2020 7:07 pm

i would love it too as i just bought a zcam F6 that will output prores raw as well as zraw.
actually i would love to be able to use both
Offline

bleierha

  • Posts: 1
  • Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:09 pm
  • Real Name: Hartmut Bleier

Re: Support for ProRes Raw

PostTue Jan 14, 2020 2:40 pm

The compressor is part of Final Cut, right? I am not a Mac-user, so please accept such a (may be) stupid question.
Is there any other possibilty to transcode ProRes Raw into something Resolve can handle?

deezid wrote:
Charles Hull wrote:So the work-around is to transcode ProRes RAW to ProRes 4444. ProRes RAW is 12 bits, and ProRes 4444 is 12 image bits, so it is a good fit, and it runs well in Resolve. The simple and painless way to do this is to import all the clips into Compressor and bulk export them to ProRes 4444.
Offline

KevKlopper

  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:55 pm

Re: Support for ProRes Raw

PostTue Jan 14, 2020 7:32 pm

BMD is very stubborn when it comes to user friendlieness vs maybe earning more cash. It took years for them to finally allow a second monitor without their Hardware add-ons. So dont hold your breath.

I actually consider switching to another NLE because the politics really start to degrade the products. "Native" C200 raw was promised. Obviously they never added real RAW controls.

They want you in a walled garden.

jbandes wrote:
ricardo marty wrote:
deezid wrote:/


Braw is available in both avid and premier also in lightworks. FCPx is the only major nle that doesn't have braw. So why should we use fcpx. Most cameras that have prores raw is because of atomos. BMD will have braw through Video assist. So I guess there will be two camps for the near future.

Ricardo Marty
As ProRes Raw gains popularity and market share I can't imagine that BMD would not add it to Resolve. They already support ProRes.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Offline

Mark Grgurev

  • Posts: 787
  • Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:22 am

Re: Support for ProRes Raw

PostTue Jan 14, 2020 9:46 pm

KevKlopper wrote:BMD is very stubborn when it comes to user friendlieness vs maybe earning more cash. It took years for them to finally allow a second monitor without their Hardware add-ons. So dont hold your breath.

I actually consider switching to another NLE because the politics really start to degrade the products. "Native" C200 raw was promised. Obviously they never added real RAW controls.

They want you in a walled garden.


That misrepresents things. The reason why they offer a free version of Resolve and paid version for a one time $300 payment is because it plays off their hardware ecosystem. I also don't recall any statement from BMD that said they weren't going to support using a dedicate playback monitor without their hardware. I remember being in those topics and the people I remember arguing against it were other users.
Offline

nimoatwoodway

  • Posts: 1
  • Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:19 am
  • Real Name: Chris Nimo

Re: Support for ProRes Raw

PostThu Feb 27, 2020 7:21 am

+1 Please implement ProRes Raw. Using Nikons Z6 with Ninja 5.
Offline

deezid

  • Posts: 317
  • Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:38 am
  • Real Name: Dennis Schmitz

Re: Support for ProRes Raw

PostMon Mar 30, 2020 7:00 pm

https://www.newsshooter.com/2020/03/31/ ... available/

Even Premiere has support for Prores Raw now.
Really considering going back to Premiere for editing at least since Resolve is getting slower and less reliable with each update.
Download my 55M Advanced Luts for the Pocket 4K and 6K here:
www.55media.net/55m-p4k-color
Offline

John Palaganas

  • Posts: 131
  • Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:47 pm

Re: Support for ProRes Raw

PostTue Mar 31, 2020 8:15 pm

Is BMD even hearing us??? 2 years still no support to ProRes Raw.
Offline

Carlos Garcia-Diaz

  • Posts: 79
  • Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:40 pm

Re: Support for ProRes Raw

PostSat Apr 11, 2020 1:57 am

I would love to be able to grade ProRes Raw in Resolve. I don't like FCP X's UI (except for multi-cam).

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2033?locale=en_US
Offline
User avatar

Jeremy Meunier

  • Posts: 7
  • Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:53 pm
  • Real Name: Jeremy Meunier

Re: Support for ProRes Raw

PostTue Apr 21, 2020 3:08 pm

Using my FS5 and an Atomos Inferno, I shoot a lot in ProRes Raw. 4K DCI 100/120 fps in 5sec burst mode shots is amazing in that format.

I'm on PC and since the announcement from Adobe, I'm able to use Media Encoder (Beta 14.2) to transcode my shots in ProRes 444, but it's not ideal and I would love to be able to edit the source files in my actual favorite NLE, Resolve.
Offline

ricardo marty

  • Posts: 1100
  • Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:03 am

Re: Support for ProRes Raw

PostTue Apr 21, 2020 7:06 pm

John Palaganas wrote:Is BMD even hearing us??? 2 years still no support to ProRes Raw.



It's not up to bmd it would be an apple decision.

Ricardo Marty
Resolve Studio 17, Lenovo 7i15, i7-10750H Processor, 6 Cores, Nvidia 2060 6Gb, 16Gb ram, 512 nvme sd. Sony FS700R, Bmp4k, Sony A6600. Focusrite ableton
Offline

RikshaDriver

  • Posts: 402
  • Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:08 am
  • Real Name: Asim Siddiqui

Re: Support for ProRes Raw

PostWed Apr 22, 2020 6:05 am

It would be a matter of licensing agreements.

The beta version that Apple provides for Windows consists of a Debayer and a Decoder module... so it should be a matter of integrating the SDK into Resolve (once those agreements are sorted)


+1 on the ProRes RAW request (particularly including Windows).
Resolve Looks, Plugins & Transforms: https://xtremestuff.net/store
Open Source Resolve transforms: https://github.com/xtremestuff
Offline

Andrew Kolakowski

  • Posts: 7389
  • Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:20 am
  • Location: Poland

Re: Support for ProRes Raw

PostWed Apr 22, 2020 11:53 am

Offline

Andrew Kolakowski

  • Posts: 7389
  • Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:20 am
  • Location: Poland

Re: Support for ProRes Raw

PostWed Apr 22, 2020 11:56 am

ricardo marty wrote:
John Palaganas wrote:Is BMD even hearing us??? 2 years still no support to ProRes Raw.



It's not up to bmd it would be an apple decision.

Ricardo Marty


It's BMD decision. No one (specially Apple) stops you to integrate ProRes RAW into your app.
Apple will be VERY HAPPY for Resolve to support it. It costs nothing, except your development team time to integrate it. For BM it's a strategic decision.
Offline

deezid

  • Posts: 317
  • Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:38 am
  • Real Name: Dennis Schmitz

Re: Support for ProRes Raw

PostWed Apr 22, 2020 2:50 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:
ricardo marty wrote:
John Palaganas wrote:Is BMD even hearing us??? 2 years still no support to ProRes Raw.



It's not up to bmd it would be an apple decision.

Ricardo Marty


It's BMD decision. No one (specially Apple) stops you to integrate ProRes RAW into your app.
Apple will be VERY HAPPY for Resolve to support it. It costs nothing, except your development team time to integrate it. For BM it's a strategic decision.


What he said.
Download my 55M Advanced Luts for the Pocket 4K and 6K here:
www.55media.net/55m-p4k-color
Offline

ricardo marty

  • Posts: 1100
  • Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:03 am

Re: Support for ProRes Raw

PostWed Apr 22, 2020 6:46 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:
ricardo marty wrote:
John Palaganas wrote:Is BMD even hearing us??? 2 years still no support to ProRes Raw.



It's not up to bmd it would be an apple decision.

Ricardo Marty


It's BMD decision. No one (specially Apple) stops you to integrate ProRes RAW into your app.
Apple will be VERY HAPPY for Resolve to support it. It costs nothing, except your development team time to integrate it. For BM it's a strategic decision.


Why wont apple make fcpx run on. Windows?

Ricardo Marty
Resolve Studio 17, Lenovo 7i15, i7-10750H Processor, 6 Cores, Nvidia 2060 6Gb, 16Gb ram, 512 nvme sd. Sony FS700R, Bmp4k, Sony A6600. Focusrite ableton
Offline

Hendrik Proosa

  • Posts: 1646
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:53 am
  • Location: Estonia

Re: Support for ProRes Raw

PostWed Apr 22, 2020 7:01 pm

ricardo marty wrote:Why wont apple make fcpx run on. Windows?
Ricardo Marty

Because it is not up to apple, Microsoft decides this :roll:
I do stuff.
Offline

ricardo marty

  • Posts: 1100
  • Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:03 am

Re: Support for ProRes Raw

PostWed Apr 22, 2020 9:52 pm

Hendrik Proosa wrote:
ricardo marty wrote:Why wont apple make fcpx run on. Windows?
Ricardo Marty

Because it is not up to apple, Microsoft decides this :roll:


Cute but not accurate. Ms could care less what app runs on its os
Resolve Studio 17, Lenovo 7i15, i7-10750H Processor, 6 Cores, Nvidia 2060 6Gb, 16Gb ram, 512 nvme sd. Sony FS700R, Bmp4k, Sony A6600. Focusrite ableton
Offline

Andrew Kolakowski

  • Posts: 7389
  • Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:20 am
  • Location: Poland

Re: Support for ProRes Raw

PostSat Apr 25, 2020 10:03 pm

ricardo marty wrote:
Why wont apple make fcpx run on. Windows?

Ricardo Marty


Due to the same reason why BM doesn't want to support ProRes RAW (owning own RAW format).
Offline

deezid

  • Posts: 317
  • Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:38 am
  • Real Name: Dennis Schmitz

Re: Support for ProRes Raw

PostSun Apr 26, 2020 3:19 pm

Z-Cam jumping on the ProRes RAW train as well it seems.
94506247_10222457791700536_8216959052194775040_o.jpg
94506247_10222457791700536_8216959052194775040_o.jpg (98.85 KiB) Viewed 25828 times
Download my 55M Advanced Luts for the Pocket 4K and 6K here:
www.55media.net/55m-p4k-color
Offline

deezid

  • Posts: 317
  • Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:38 am
  • Real Name: Dennis Schmitz

Re: Support for ProRes Raw

PostMon Apr 27, 2020 9:26 am

Kinefinity also announces ProRes RAW support

https://www.newsshooter.com/2020/04/27/ ... recording/
Download my 55M Advanced Luts for the Pocket 4K and 6K here:
www.55media.net/55m-p4k-color
Offline

jimjones

  • Posts: 38
  • Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:49 pm
  • Real Name: Jim Jones

Re: Support for ProRes Raw

PostTue Apr 28, 2020 5:14 pm

Mark Grgurev wrote:That misrepresents things. The reason why they offer a free version of Resolve and paid version for a one time $300 payment is because it plays off their hardware ecosystem. I also don't recall any statement from BMD that said they weren't going to support using a dedicate playback monitor without their hardware. I remember being in those topics and the people I remember arguing against it were other users.


I have no horse in this thing except that I prefer compatibility. But, as for the monitor thing they did explicitly say they weren't going to do it and ended the comments on the thread as I recall.
DR Studio 16.2.2.012, Win10Pro, Ryzen 7 1700x, 32GB, GTX 1070 8GB Studio 442.92, NVMe Cache, Intensity Shuttle, Decklink, Decklink 4K
Offline

Nathan Morgan

  • Posts: 536
  • Joined: Wed May 20, 2015 3:02 pm

Re: Support for ProRes Raw

PostTue Apr 28, 2020 5:56 pm

Personally I would put this more on Apple than BM, the fact that Apple hasn't released ProRes as an open codec is a real problem. There are plenty of alternative codecs that are better supported and more wildly available. If Apple wanted to make this available to everyone they totally could, but it seems like they are too interested in making money to make something that is truly useful.
PC: Resolve 17.1 BUILD 24, WINDOWS 10, GTX 2080Ti
Desktop Video 12.0
(All bug reports etc. are PC unless specified.)
Mac: Macbook Pro 15", Resolve 17.1, 10.15.7, Desktop Video 11.6
Offline

deezid

  • Posts: 317
  • Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:38 am
  • Real Name: Dennis Schmitz

Re: Support for ProRes Raw

PostTue Apr 28, 2020 7:51 pm

Nathan Morgan wrote:Personally I would put this more on Apple than BM, the fact that Apple hasn't released ProRes as an open codec is a real problem. There are plenty of alternative codecs that are better supported and more wildly available. If Apple wanted to make this available to everyone they totally could, but it seems like they are too interested in making money to make something that is truly useful.


They literally developed the ProRes RAW plugin for Premiere by themselves, but go on. :mrgreen:
https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2033?locale=en_US

It's BMD who doesn't seem to support it because reasons.
Download my 55M Advanced Luts for the Pocket 4K and 6K here:
www.55media.net/55m-p4k-color
Offline
User avatar

Rakesh Malik

  • Posts: 3080
  • Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:01 am
  • Location: Vancouver, BC

Re: Support for ProRes Raw

PostTue Apr 28, 2020 8:04 pm

deezid wrote:It's BMD who doesn't seem to support it because reasons.


Reasons: Apple. It's the same reason that Resolve isn't able to export ProRes in Windows... not BMD's decision, because it's a licensing issue, not a technical one.
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus ZenBook Pro Duo i9 Octacore/32GB/2060

Alienware M15 Hexacore i7/32GB/1070 Max-Q
Offline

deezid

  • Posts: 317
  • Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:38 am
  • Real Name: Dennis Schmitz

Re: Support for ProRes Raw

PostTue Apr 28, 2020 8:33 pm

Rakesh Malik wrote:
deezid wrote:It's BMD who doesn't seem to support it because reasons.


Reasons: Apple. It's the same reason that Resolve isn't able to export ProRes in Windows... not BMD's decision, because it's a licensing issue, not a technical one.


How come Premiere supports encoding ProRes on Windows then?
How come Apple develops their own ProRes RAW plugin for Premiere?

Maybe it's BMD still who also doesn't provide any input and output API for external developers.
Still doesn't help with Premiere being a slow piece of garbage though...
Download my 55M Advanced Luts for the Pocket 4K and 6K here:
www.55media.net/55m-p4k-color
Offline

Nathan Morgan

  • Posts: 536
  • Joined: Wed May 20, 2015 3:02 pm

Re: Support for ProRes Raw

PostTue Apr 28, 2020 8:39 pm

deezid wrote:They literally developed the ProRes RAW plugin for Premiere by themselves, but go on.
https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2033?locale=en_US

It's BMD who doesn't seem to support it because reasons.


I was under the impression that Adobe has licensed the ProRes family for all of it's products. If apple made ProRes free and open I could see your point, but as long as they are restricting it's implementation through licensing and certification I try to avoid it as much as I can.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT200321#proresraw
PC: Resolve 17.1 BUILD 24, WINDOWS 10, GTX 2080Ti
Desktop Video 12.0
(All bug reports etc. are PC unless specified.)
Mac: Macbook Pro 15", Resolve 17.1, 10.15.7, Desktop Video 11.6
Offline
User avatar

Rakesh Malik

  • Posts: 3080
  • Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:01 am
  • Location: Vancouver, BC

Re: Support for ProRes Raw

PostTue Apr 28, 2020 8:40 pm

deezid wrote:How come Premiere supports encoding ProRes on Windows then?


Read my previous reply.

How come Apple develops their own ProRes RAW plugin for Premiere?


Where Resolve's ProRes and/or ProResRaw support is concerned, that's completely irrelevant.
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus ZenBook Pro Duo i9 Octacore/32GB/2060

Alienware M15 Hexacore i7/32GB/1070 Max-Q
Offline

ricardo marty

  • Posts: 1100
  • Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:03 am

Re: Support for ProRes Raw

PostTue Apr 28, 2020 8:43 pm

Rakesh Malik wrote:
deezid wrote:How come Premiere supports encoding ProRes on Windows then?


Most probably adobe purchased a license fro this

Ricardo Marty
Resolve Studio 17, Lenovo 7i15, i7-10750H Processor, 6 Cores, Nvidia 2060 6Gb, 16Gb ram, 512 nvme sd. Sony FS700R, Bmp4k, Sony A6600. Focusrite ableton
Offline

deezid

  • Posts: 317
  • Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:38 am
  • Real Name: Dennis Schmitz

Re: Support for ProRes Raw

PostTue Apr 28, 2020 10:00 pm

Rakesh Malik wrote:
deezid wrote:How come Premiere supports encoding ProRes on Windows then?


Read my previous reply.

How come Apple develops their own ProRes RAW plugin for Premiere?


Where Resolve's ProRes and/or ProResRaw support is concerned, that's completely irrelevant.


Yea, whatever. Adobe provides an API which Apple and many other companies - BMD included - use for developing in- and export plugins. BMD doesn't do that but Apple, who themself even provides a ProRes RAW plugin for Premiere is to blame? :lol:
Download my 55M Advanced Luts for the Pocket 4K and 6K here:
www.55media.net/55m-p4k-color
Offline
User avatar

Rakesh Malik

  • Posts: 3080
  • Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:01 am
  • Location: Vancouver, BC

Re: Support for ProRes Raw

PostTue Apr 28, 2020 10:17 pm

deezid wrote:
Yea, whatever. Adobe provides an API which Apple and many other companies - BMD included - use for developing in- and export plugins. BMD doesn't do that but Apple, who themself even provides a ProRes RAW plugin for Premiere is to blame? :lol:


If you choose not to accept an answer that doesn't suit your wishful thinking, then why bother asking the question in the first place? You've already made up your mind... since reality doesn't agree with your wish then you're not going to get the answer you're looking for.
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus ZenBook Pro Duo i9 Octacore/32GB/2060

Alienware M15 Hexacore i7/32GB/1070 Max-Q
Offline

deezid

  • Posts: 317
  • Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:38 am
  • Real Name: Dennis Schmitz

Re: Support for ProRes Raw

PostTue Apr 28, 2020 10:52 pm

Rakesh Malik wrote:
deezid wrote:
Yea, whatever. Adobe provides an API which Apple and many other companies - BMD included - use for developing in- and export plugins. BMD doesn't do that but Apple, who themself even provides a ProRes RAW plugin for Premiere is to blame? :lol:


If you choose not to accept an answer that doesn't suit your wishful thinking, then why bother asking the question in the first place? You've already made up your mind... since reality doesn't agree with your wish then you're not going to get the answer you're looking for.


Yuck, since your fanboy attitude towards BMD doesn't allow rational thinking my hope for BMD either providing open APIs so that Apple could develop free plugins like they do for Adobe or actually catching up with other NLEs implementing the decoder themselves is somehow unreal?
Download my 55M Advanced Luts for the Pocket 4K and 6K here:
www.55media.net/55m-p4k-color
Next

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests