Animating the UI and Timeline - Please stop

• Author

Vit Reiter

Re: Animating the UI and Timeline - Please stop

PostTue Feb 16, 2021 3:10 pm

Tom Early wrote:
Vit Reiter wrote:Dear BM team, can you make the Plain mode in Video View Options, which minimizes all track height and displays each clip as a solid color along its length without animation of timeline, please?

Please don't. If this is to become an option the it should be an option for all viewing modes not just one, and neither would I want a particular clip viewing option to be forced without animation.
Animations for users who love thumbnails in the timeline, no animations for users who use DaVinci for work. That's fair, isn't it? :D
DaVinci Resolve 18.6.6 Studio (macOS Monterey 12.7.4)
Mac Pro 2013, AMD FirePro D700, 64GB RAM

Film Editor, Colorist, DIT, Datalab technician
linkedin.com/in/vít-reiter-film-editor

Tom Early

PostTue Feb 16, 2021 4:02 pm

Vit Reiter wrote:
Tom Early wrote:
Vit Reiter wrote:Dear BM team, can you make the Plain mode in Video View Options, which minimizes all track height and displays each clip as a solid color along its length without animation of timeline, please?

Please don't. If this is to become an option the it should be an option for all viewing modes not just one, and neither would I want a particular clip viewing option to be forced without animation.
Animations for users who love thumbnails in the timeline, no animations for users who use DaVinci for work. That's fair, isn't it? :D

And what about those who use Resolve for work but want thumbnails? Let's not pointlessly restrict things, animations are an entirely separate thing to clip view or track view settings.
MBP2021 M1 Max 64GB, macOS 14.4, Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.7

Vit Reiter

PostTue Feb 16, 2021 9:20 pm

Vit Reiter wrote:Dear BM team, can you make the Plain mode in Video View Options, which minimizes all track height and displays each clip as a solid color along its length without animation of timeline, please
Tom Early wrote:And what about those who use Resolve for work but want thumbnails? Let's not pointlessly restrict things, animations are an entirely separate thing to clip view or track view settings.
I can imagine that it would not be bad.
DaVinci Resolve 18.6.6 Studio (macOS Monterey 12.7.4)
Mac Pro 2013, AMD FirePro D700, 64GB RAM

Film Editor, Colorist, DIT, Datalab technician
linkedin.com/in/vít-reiter-film-editor

brediknight

PostWed Feb 17, 2021 9:22 pm

Vit Reiter wrote:
Vit Reiter wrote:Dear BM team, can you make the Plain mode in Video View Options, which minimizes all track height and displays each clip as a solid color along its length without animation of timeline, please
Tom Early wrote:And what about those who use Resolve for work but want thumbnails? Let's not pointlessly restrict things, animations are an entirely separate thing to clip view or track view settings.
I can imagine that it would not be bad.

No, it would be. I'm requesting BMD allow us to turn off all UX Animations and gamified actions.
Just like Apple allows one to turn off "Motion".

Tom Early

PostThu Feb 18, 2021 1:42 am

brediknight wrote:Just like Apple allows one to turn off "Motion".

What do you mean?
MBP2021 M1 Max 64GB, macOS 14.4, Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.7

brediknight

PostThu Feb 18, 2021 1:53 am

Tom Early wrote:
brediknight wrote:Just like Apple allows one to turn off "Motion".

What do you mean?

Sorry. that was vague. I forgot Appple had "Motion" the application too! Ha!

Apple introduced Motion animation for actions in a version of iOS. It made people dizzy, literally. They then created a setting called "Reduce Motion" in the settings. This turned off a lot animated actions and the "gamified" UI.

brediknight

PostThu Feb 18, 2021 2:00 am

atmosfar wrote:Something that tripped me up recently is the UI animation for yanking in/out sections. The waveform of the affected audio track to the left of the playhead visibly moves, in a way that made me fear I was deleting something else entirely.

The flying keyframe/spline icons are very distracting too.

Now turn on Film Strip view, zoom in. make sure you have audio waveforms visible.
Trim or cut in or whatever, slip, slide with hot keys. then undo, redo, undo redo.

eikonoklastes

PostFri Feb 26, 2021 7:20 am

The animations are one of the best features for me in Resolve - makes it very clear what's going on.

The claims about how slow they play out seem to be a bug, likely caused by outdated video drivers, or an incapable video card. The snappiness of the animations feels just about right.

eikonoklastes

PostFri Feb 26, 2021 7:24 am

atmosfar wrote:Something that tripped me up recently is the UI animation for yanking in/out sections. The waveform of the affected audio track to the left of the playhead visibly moves, in a way that made me fear I was deleting something else entirely.

The flying keyframe/spline icons are very distracting too.

I'm not seeing this behaviour in Resolve 17.0 Build 39. Well, the flying keyframes, yes - but not the audio waveforms moving unnecessarily.

Ale_Zakko

PostFri Feb 26, 2021 10:56 am

Mmmm i think that's a peculiarities about davinci... it's like to tell to Apple to be more edgy lime windows, with out any animations or cartoon icons... :) personally i like the timeline animation, and i worket many years on avid and premiere :)

brediknight

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 6:08 pm

Is there more animation in 17.1???

PLEASE, CAN WE HAVE THE OPTION TO TURN THIS OFF???

sector22

PostMon Mar 25, 2024 2:18 pm

+1 on this.

The software has many features to praise, but I find UI animations distracting and insulting, at times. I came here hoping that this option would be available. For those who love the UI animation features in the software, that's cool :roll: , but this request is for editors who don't. All we desire is an option to disable UI animations.
Professional Editor - London Based.
Mac Studio 2022, OS 13.1, Apple M1 Ultra, 64GB RAM

Rick van den Berg

PostMon Mar 25, 2024 3:15 pm

brediknight wrote:

this is for me also very distracting. it's practically showing that something goes wrong.

Cre8iveMedia

PostTue Mar 26, 2024 8:17 am

Yeah agreed +1 user selectable
Resolve Studio 19b
Speed Editor
Micro Panel
UltraStudio 4K Mini
UltraStudio Monitor 3G (Mac Studio M2 DVR)
UltraStudio Recorder 3G (Mac Mini M2 Omniscopes)
Mac Studio M2, Studio M1, Mini M2, Air M2
Mac OS 14.4.1
Sony FX3, A7iv, A7iii

eikonoklastes

PostWed Mar 27, 2024 9:43 am

Rick van den Berg wrote:this is for me also very distracting. it's practically showing that something goes wrong.

That was a bug in Resolve 17, which was fixed years ago, so you're good to go.

Previous

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests