Not responding on startup

• Author

nexux324

Not responding on startup

PostWed Nov 18, 2020 12:35 pm

Hi guys,

I downloaded the latest davinci resolve 17 ( DaVinci_Resolve_Studio_17.0b1_Windows) today

and after installing the programs simply wont startup, it hangs on the start screen and after a few seconds it says it is not responing, i waited more than am hour withouth result. I reinstalled it 4x and still no luck.

just to make sure i installed 16 and works fine.

can someone pls help me out

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Not responding on startup

PostThu Nov 19, 2020 8:26 pm

Try beta 2
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

alvinb

PostWed Dec 23, 2020 4:28 pm

I have the same problem with version 17 beta 6 studio. I am running 16.2.8 studio absolutely fine but if I remove it completely and install 17b6 it wont even launch the banner. There is nothing showing in the task manager - it simply wont start. The installation is completely fine and says it has installed.

The machine is Windows 10 Pro, 64G RAM, NVIDIA RTX3070 with studio drivers. Version 16.2.8 works very smoothly but I have tried previous betas of version 17 too but I can never get it to work. Is there something that the beta checks for in the first few seconds that it is not finding?

Alvin

Charles Bennett

PostWed Dec 23, 2020 11:47 pm

I would suggest you post log and NFO files for BM to look at. How to do this in the FAQs section at the top of the forum.
On my system I have had no problems with any of the free version Betas.
Resolve 17.0b6 build 18
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790 4 core, 24GB RAM, GTX1060/6GB (457.30 Studio), Win10 Home, Faderport, 2 Screens
Pro Tools 2018.4
Dell Workstation, 2 X 4 core Xeon , 16GB ECC RAM, GTX650, Win7 Ultimate, Digi 002R, Mackie HUI, 3 Screens

alvinb

PostThu Dec 24, 2020 5:32 pm

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately the CaptureLogs batch file is reporting that there is no crash archive so it doesn't create a log and exits with an error.

It seems that the Resolve process starts up for a few seconds in Task Manager but then disappears with no trace.

I have attached the NFO file about the system itself.

If I remove 17b6 and install 16.2.8 everything is fine. But if I remove 16.2.8 and install 17b6 I get the same problem.
A
Attachments
ABSYSINFO.7z
(68.72 KiB) Downloaded 18 times

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Dec 26, 2020 6:54 am

Use v17 beta 6, if it crashes use the Resolve generate crash log from the help menu and post that, regardless of details
The FAQs describe details
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

alvinb

PostSat Dec 26, 2020 12:15 pm

Many thanks Peter for your reply. I have checked the FAQs and I'm assuming it's the "log" section in the following FAQ you referred me to:

[link] forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=90190

Unfortunately, Resolve 17 b6 does not start for me so I cannot access its help menu. ANd also, the Capturelog batch file exits with an error saying it cannot find any crash archive.

I've found since I posted previously that there are some others that describe exactly the same behaviour. It seems some of these posts are about version 16 before it was stable so it may be that BM solved this problem for the stable release of v16 but it has reappeared in the v17 betas?

What is happening is the following. Resolve attempts to load and I can see the process appearing for a short while in the Task Manager. After about a second or two, Task Manager says that the process is "suspended" and Resolve then exits without (it seems) generating any crash archive for the log generator to use.

The stable version of Resolve (16.2.8 I think) works perfectly on the same machine. It looks like some device driver or process is interfering with Resolve v17 b6. I have tried turning my startup processes (like Avid Link, Malwarebytes and so on) off but this does not help either with v17 b6. I think the NFO file I uploaded contains the machine details which easily satisfies the minimum recommendations so it looks like something in a real time process that is the problem.

Would be happy to try any other suggestions you may have. Or if I am looking at the wrong FAQ, please could you point me to the correct instructions?

EDIT:
Spent quite a bit of time this morning trying to sort this out. I did a clean boot with no extra services or startup items included but still the same - 17b6 will not load and does not even get far enough to generate any thing that can be captured by Capturelog.bat

I then went into the more restrictive safe mode with networking and this time 17b6 loads but cannot run because the graphics card device drivers are not loaded in safe mode. So it is clear to me that 17b6 will potentially run on this machine!

I also removed all USB devices and used wired keyboard and mouse for the above tests.

It seems that something right at the beginning of the loading process is stopping 17b6 even before it gets far enough to register a crash. Whatever it is is not affecting 16.2.8 which continues to work perfectly if I reinstall it.

[EDIT]
I scoured the event logs on my machine and found this:

Faulting application name: Resolve.exe, version: 17.0.0.18, time stamp: 0x00000000
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000000000
Faulting process ID: 0x1ab0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6da29994fa5ee
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Resolve.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report ID: fb622aa9-1c6c-4820-9e71-a9064f8664e0
Faulting package full name:

Not sure if this helps or not?

Clickumentary

PostSun Jan 03, 2021 5:41 am

I'm having the same issue. Install goes fine, 17b6 banner graphic pops up for 2 seconds, then disappears. Nothing running in task mgr. I can then uninstall and run 16.2.8 w/o an issue.

Any luck since last update??

This is getting me frustrated as I'm waiting on my 17 studio license to arrive. :x

My config: AMD7-2700 | 16G | AMD RX570

Dave

Clickumentary

PostMon Jan 04, 2021 1:23 am

I have the same issue and found something that has "fixed" the issue. I've got it running for me, and so this might be something to look into:

Background:
1) running 16.2.8 flawlessly
2) tried to upgrade to 17 b6 - install runs fine, but app won't load - graphic banner flashes for about 1 sec
3) Looking at Task Manager, DR17 pops in there for about a second the goes away

What I did:
1) Tried completely removing 16.2.8 and reinstalling clean - no difference
2) Confirmed my setup should be sufficient - AMD Ryzen 7 2700 Eight-Core Processor 3.20 GHz | 16GB | AMD Radeon RX570 w/8GB
3) *lightbulb moment* - Looked in device manager and noticed that Citrix Display Adapter is also loaded as a display adapter - this is used for me to get my VPN connection for work
4) Disabled Citrix display adapter
5) Launched 17b6 w/o a problem
6) Realizing DR was likely discovering this display adapter vs. GPU upon startup I tried un-checking auto in GPU settings, and define the RX570 - still will not start app w/Citrix display adapter running

This is a "fix" because I can use 17 now, but it doesn't answer the question as to why this is an issue vs. 16.2.8 (or any other previous version) I call this a bug.

Still, wanted to share the news because there are likely others still suffering.

alvinb

PostSun Jan 10, 2021 6:41 pm

Unfortunately I still have the same problem but don't even get to the banner stage. The Resolve Studio 17b6 executable shows up in Task Manager for a few seconds and then disappears. No log file is written by Resolve so CaptureLog.bat does not produce any debugging information. I've been discussing with Blackmagic support over December but none of their suggestions has yet fixed the issue.

The only display adaptor showing in my system is "NVIDIA GeForce RTX3070" and the RXT3070 is the only graphics adaptor too (the Intel one is not activated).

Have tried deleting all BM programs and reinstalling, tried with no USB or other adaptors attached, I've disabled firewalls and Malwarebytes, and tried with various releases of the Studio driver for the GTX3070 including the latest. Same result every time. It seems to me something is terminating the Resolve 17b6 executable. The same happens with the Fusion Studio 17 beta. So whatever it is is common to the two executables. There is an unhelpful error message in my Event Logs and if I run dxdiag so it is clear that something is causing Resolve to trigger a terminate condition but the process does not run for long enough to get usable diagnositics. The error in dxdiag is:

Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: BEX64
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: Resolve.exe
P2: 17.0.0.18
P3: 00000000
P4: StackHash_ac46
P5: 0.0.0.0
P6: 00000000
P7: PCH_52_FROM_ntdll+0x000000000009CB04
P8: c0000005
P9: 0000000000000008
P10:

It is very strange because 16.2.8 works smoothly and flawlessly on my system (as does all other software I've installed). Am now waiting for a new beta release since all beta versions of Resolve 17 fail to work on my system (which is reasonably high-spec - 64G RAM, i9, RTX3070 etc and should have no problem with Resolve 17).

Alvin

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostSun Jan 10, 2021 9:59 pm

In a File Explorer window, go to:

C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve

and run CaptureLogs

This will place a Resolve log file named similar to this on your Windows desktop: DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20181228_140434.zip (You may not see the .zip extension if your system is set to hide known extensions).

Then open Windows System Information and do a File - Save (Not a File Export), which will generate a .NFO file.

Place both those files on a file sharing site and provide links to the files here.

If you are a new Forum user, you may not be allowed to post URLs. If this happens, just put a space near the front of the URL, so the system doesn't think it's a URL.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

alvinb

PostMon Jan 11, 2021 10:44 am

That does not work for me. The Resolve binary is killed before any log information is written so that the CaptureLog.bat utility has no information to go on. Nothing is written to the Desktop and the CaptureLog.bat utility returns an error on completion. I have already uploaded an NFO file in December when I first posted about this error but unfortunately cannot upload any Zip file created by Resolve.

This error seems to be happening prior to Resolve opening its log files. It seems that Resolve is triggering some condition that is causing Windows or some other process to close it down. The only log information is the dxdiag information suggesting a BEX64 error.

Have been struggling with this since early December - would e very grateful for anything I could try to get 17b6 working.

Alvin

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jan 12, 2021 7:46 am

Please provide a link to your NFO file then.

Set your Finder preferences to show hidden files. Then in File Explorer, go here:

C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Support\logs

Where xxxx is your Windows User name.

Is there nothing there?

Do you have a C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Support folder? If so, send a screen shot of what's in that. If you have a logs folder, send a screen shot of what's in that as well.
Dwaine Maggart

alvinb

PostTue Jan 12, 2021 9:05 pm

Really appreciate the reply, Dwaine, and am pleased to report that there is something in the logs folder. I have zipped everything up - it is much too big to upload so I've put it here:

https://web.tresorit.com/l/FDZxq#UyM1oS18TGwes7de20_1LQ

I have also taken a screenshot of the parent Support folder and am uploading it to this post. I am also re-uploading the NFO file with this post.

On looking through the logs you'll see they go back to December. There are some successful loads of 16.2.8 in the log files but very many fails of 17.0.0.18 with only a few lines of information and nothing indicating why the process stopped. Would be great if you could shine any light on what might be happening here.

Just to confirm that the CaptureLogs.bat utility is still not finding crash archive to process. I have attached a screen image of the error I get when I run it.

EDIT: Just to add that it seems Resolve is crashing after outputting GPUDETECT to the log file. I have tried using various versions of the RTX3070 driver (both studio and game oriented) but nothing works. Version 16.2.8 of Resolve seems to detect the card fine. Not sure if this is the issue but the GPUDETECT line seems to be the last bit of information in the log before Resolve crashes.

EDIT2: I managed to run the dmp file from Resolve through WinDbg and generated the following file which seems to suggest some problems with gpudetect.dll. But I don't really understand this file - does it provide any useful diagnostic information?

https://web.tresorit.com/l/ooEQN#up3DXMfdaM9rOgZfKn9OqQ
Attachments
capturelog_output.PNG
Output of CaptureLogs.bat
capturelog_output.PNG (7.2 KiB) Viewed 179 times
ABSYSINFO.7z
NFO file
(68.72 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
supportfolder.PNG
Image of Support Folder
supportfolder.PNG (19.75 KiB) Viewed 179 times

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jan 12, 2021 11:19 pm

Thanks for the NFO.

Your Tresorit links are asking for an email or sign in. Can you please send open links that don't require access credentials?
Dwaine Maggart

alvinb

PostTue Jan 12, 2021 11:49 pm

Hi - Sorry about that. I thought they were public. Can you try this?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vo6aeh9qzhxy ... JP9Ua?dl=0

Alvin

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jan 14, 2021 12:15 am

That worked.

Still need a full Resove CaptureLogs file.

I think CaptureLogs is failing on your system due to the Desktop being on OneDrive.

Download this file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sj40qkat4ysnv ... e.zip?dl=0

Unzip it. The unzipped file will be: CaptureLogsOneDrive.bat

Put that file in this folder: C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve

Then run it. Hopefully that puts a file similar to this on your desktop:

DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20181228_140434.zip

Send us a Dropbox link to that file.
Dwaine Maggart

alvinb

PostThu Jan 14, 2021 1:19 am

Thanks Dwaine. You were right that there are multiple desktops on my system because I use Onedrive. In any case, I now have a zip file created by the Capturelog batch file you gave me.

It is again a very large file so I have uploaded it to the same location as before, namely,

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vo6aeh9qzhxy ... JP9Ua?dl=0

It is called "DaVinci-Resolve-logs-012021_%2010622.zip"

I hope this helps locate what the problem might be.
Best
Alvin

Return to DaVinci Resolve 17 Beta