Choppy Playback After Upgrade to DR 17

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Nickolas.Gilbert

Choppy Playback After Upgrade to DR 17

PostFri Jan 15, 2021 10:55 pm

After moving to DR 17 and upgrading my databases (after backing them up of course), I'm now getting terrible playback. The video is staccato and a little stroby, like it's dropping every other frame (or third frame) or something like that, even if it says it is playing back at 23.976 and on projects that played fine in DR16. Smart and User cache settings don't help, nor do I think it is a timeline issue as I am getting the same results in the Media Room when playing clips from a bin(which play fine at the finder level BTW). Seems to be the same issue regardless of clip type as I have tried R3D, ProRes, GoPro, etc., and get the same issue. I'm running a Sonnet eGPU enclosure with an AMD Radeon Pro WX 9100 and am wondering if any compatibility have emerged with that and DR17, or if there are some new setting I am missing somewhere. Again, everything was working great in DR16 so I know the system has handle the footage. Any advice is appreciated, Thanks!

mediapopyyc

Re: Choppy Playback After Upgrade to DR 17

PostFri Jan 15, 2021 11:42 pm

Different system, but I am experiencing the same issue. Editing some RED 5K footage today (at 6:1) on a 1080p timeline and even at Quarter Resolution I'm getting choppy and skipping playback.

Brought the clips into RED Cine-X Player and they playback fine at 1/4. I had to leave the suite, but I'm going to run some other footage through and see what happens.

I've got the new M1 Mac mini (16GB and 16GB) using the latest 17.1 Beta 6 (because the dongle doesn't work in other versions).

Nickolas.Gilbert

PostSat Jan 16, 2021 12:47 am

I should also point out that exports are working fine and play great in QuickTime player, but when I reimport the exported footage into DR17, I have the same skipping frame, choppy motion issue. I think the issue is somehow based in how Resolve is interpreting the video in order to display it...

Charles Bennett

PostSat Jan 16, 2021 1:34 pm

Try selecting Show All Video Frames along with the Proxy setting. Do you have an up to date GPU driver? The very latest Nvidia one seems to have serious problems by all accounts. I use version 457.30.
I can quite happily run a 25fps UHD h264 timeline without any Proxy or Show All Video Frames selected.
For a 50fps UHD h264 timeline I have Half Resolution proxy and Show all Video Frames selected and get smooth playback.
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Nickolas.Gilbert

PostSat Jan 16, 2021 4:31 pm

I've toggled "show all frames" and it doesn't make any difference. I'm on Mac Catalina so I don't play around with drivers like I did back in the Windows days, but I'll do some research and see if there are GPU driver choices in this environment that I can configure. I really don't think it is a hardware issue on my end though as everything played fine in Resolve 16 and the issue only reared its ugly head when I upgraded to 17. Plus, I get the error when playing clips in the Media Room, which is outside the timeline processing. Clips also play find outside Resolve, which again leads me to believe it's a bug with DR17... unless I'm missing a new configuration option that hopefully someone can point out.

Thanks for the tips!

Nickolas.Gilbert

PostTue Jan 26, 2021 6:39 am

Still having the same issue - Viewers and Clean Feed are displaying staccato motion, like every other frame is being duplicated with the one before it. Here are a few updates if anyone has any ideas:

- I switched out the video card from a Radeon Pro WX9100 to a Radeon Pro W5700 but it didn't make any difference
- There is no issues when playing out to my reference monitor via UltraStudio 4K, the issue is just in the viewers and the video clean feed
- all exported video is fine when played outside Resolve
- When I disconnect the eGPU everything plays fine, so the issue has something to do with how Resolve is talking to the Sonnet Breakout Box eGPU

Anyone have any ideas?

Nickolas.Gilbert

PostTue Jan 26, 2021 7:16 am

And another update... I also have an LG UltraFine 5K display connected via TB3 and when I unplug it everything plays fine. I made sure the display is the only thing plugged into the TB3 lane and still get the issue. So it seems like the issue it that the LG UltraFine 5K display and Resolve are not playing nicely together...

Nickolas.Gilbert

PostTue Jan 26, 2021 7:44 am

SOLVED!!! I finally figured out what the issue is. It's the resolution of the UltraFine display. The Viewer and Clean View become jittery if I change the resolution of the UltraFine 5K display to be anything over the resolution of the other monitors, in this case two Apple LED Cinema Displays. The Cinema Displays are 2560X1440 so if I set the UltraFine resolution to anything higher than that the playback is jittery. The UltraFine display is plugged directly into the MAC via TB3 and the Cinema Displays are connected via the Sonnet Breakaway Box 550 with a Radeon Pro W5700 (I got the same issue with the WX9100). Everything else with this system works great so the issues is definitely in how the monitor resolutions are interpreted in Resolve between the ePGU and TB3 bus. Hopefully this issue will be fixed so I can increase the displayed resolution on the UltraFine 5K, but at least now I can get back to editing by matching the resolution of the Cinema Displays. Hope this helps others with the same issue.

mediapopyyc

PostWed Jan 27, 2021 4:59 pm

Nickolas.Gilbert wrote:SOLVED!!! I finally figured out what the issue is. It's the resolution of the UltraFine display. The Viewer and Clean View become jittery if I change the resolution of the UltraFine 5K display to be anything over the resolution of the other monitors, in this case two Apple LED Cinema Displays. The Cinema Displays are 2560X1440 so if I set the UltraFine resolution to anything higher than that the playback is jittery. The UltraFine display is plugged directly into the MAC via TB3 and the Cinema Displays are connected via the Sonnet Breakaway Box 550 with a Radeon Pro W5700 (I got the same issue with the WX9100). Everything else with this system works great so the issues is definitely in how the monitor resolutions are interpreted in Resolve between the ePGU and TB3 bus. Hopefully this issue will be fixed so I can increase the displayed resolution on the UltraFine 5K, but at least now I can get back to editing by matching the resolution of the Cinema Displays. Hope this helps others with the same issue.

Yup that's totally it! I am using the same LG UltraFine 5K Monitor and if I scale it down - I get smooth playback.

Thanks for sorting this out and hope that this can be addressed.

Cheers.

Return to DaVinci Resolve