Bug: "Modify Marker" rarely works, fails silently

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

distrustful.dinosaurs

PostSat May 07, 2022 11:26 am

I realize it is presumptuous to call this a bug, but I have been dealing with it for several months now and the behavior is inconsistent enough that I really think it is.

The issue / how to reproduce:
- Open up Davinci Resolve and navigate to either the "Cut" or "Edit" tabs
- Select a clip, mark and in and out, and then "Mark" -> "Convert In and Out to Duration Marker".
- Make sure you are using the "List View" so that you can see your clip and the marker, probably called "Marker 1"
- Click on the marker and then "Mark" -> "Modify Marker"
- A little popup should appear where you can set the marker name, give it a color, and add other metadata.

If the popup appears for you, great! Long ago, in happier times, it did for me as well. What happens for me now is:

- Usually nothing. After clicking "Mark" -> "Modify Marker" nothing appears and I can't edit the marker in any way that I can find (keyboard shortcuts, etc, don't work either.
- *Sometimes* it won't work on one tab but will work on the other. So if it's not working in "Cut" sometimes it will work inside "Edit". This is truly maddening.
- Regardless of whether clicking "Mark" -> "Modify Marker" works, assigning a keyboard shortcut for that option never works (long ago it did, I had a keyboard shortcut I used for this so that I could quickly mark up clips and add metadata, it was great).

What I've tried:
- I spent longer than I care to admit narrowing this problem down, thinking maybe it was an issue with my keyboard preferences or something. But the issue persists if I ignore all keyboard settings and simply select "Mark" -> "Modify Marker" from the top menu.
- I have removed all davinci files that I can find (quite laboriously, but that's a complaint for another post) and reinstalled Davinci Resolve from scratch.
- I have tried this with both Davinci Resolve 17 and now the new Davinci Resolve 18 Beta 2
- I have just tried to identify the issue by looking at the diagnostic reports, but I don't see any relevant information in them. It's also extremely tedious to use these reports, it seems like the only way to narrow down what you're looking at is to generate one, take the action your interested in inside davinci resolve, then generate another and painstakingly diff some of the files generated. I assume the developers must have a better way, I wish they would make it possible for everyone...

Attached is a copy of my most recent diagnostic report. This is from a reinstall of davinci resolve 18 today, I have re-imported and upgraded an old database, then selected a marker and tried to "Mark" -> "Modify Marker" several times. If I remember correctly it worked once or twice when I first opened the application after the reinstall, but it quickly stopped.

Any help or debugging tips would be immensely helpful, THANK YOU FOR READING ALL THIS
Attachments
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20220507-124937.zip
diagnostic after clicking "Mark" -> "Modify Marker" several times without it working
(36.28 KiB) Downloaded 25 times

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

Re: Bug: "Modify Marker" rarely works, fails silently

PostMon May 09, 2022 9:03 am

Westley,

On the off chance, can I check if you're on Windows and use non-integer scaling or compatibility mode with Resolve?

Regards
Shrinivas

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostMon May 09, 2022 6:31 pm

occasionally in linux a double click on a marker DOES NOT open the tab, i have to go above it with the playhead and press "M"...

not sure if it is correlated.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

distrustful.dinosaurs

PostMon May 09, 2022 8:20 pm

Hey both, thanks for the quick replies!

I should have mentioned, I'm on Mac OS 12.3 (21E230). An old intel mac but I don't think that's important.

Since starting to post this the other day I've noticed that pressing "modify marker" is more likely to work when I close and reopen Davinci Resolve, but usually it will only work once or twice and then nothing will happen again.

I wish that it was something as simple as a weird mode I was activating or something, but I really can't see how :(

distrustful.dinosaurs

PostFri May 13, 2022 8:30 pm

Update!

I have just tried on a brand new mac with a clean install of Mac OS 12.3.1 and davinci resolve 18 18.0B Build 10. I did not import any existing database, I simply:

- completed quick setup of davinci resolve
- imported a single video
- set an in + out while on the cut page
- clicked "Mark" -> "Convert In and Out to Duration Marker"
- selected the new "Marker 1" and clicked "Mark" -> "Modify Marker"

Nothing happened, I did not get the dialog box to modify the marker. I also tried on the edit page, nothing there either.

So either I'm missing something really basic or this is a reproducible bug. Is there anyone at blackmagic that could comment? Is there any way of contacting / notifying support?

Joe Shapiro

PostSun May 15, 2022 10:48 pm

Thanks for being so thorough and persistent with this.

I’ve tried to reproduce it on my M1 Max but no luck. Do believe it’s happening to you though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.3
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.1

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostMon May 16, 2022 10:12 am

Hi Westley

After a decent number of scenarios, I managed to find one that was similar.

Macbook, Mac OS Monterey 12.3.1, external monitor with a USB-C to HDMI adaptor.
Preferences > Display > Display Settings > select the Dell, choose Scaled instead of Default for Display.

For some custom resolutions, I can see Mac OS have issues across apps. For some apps, it is a mouse click offset. For others (e.g Text Edit, Inspect word) it is a pop up dialog or dropdown menu not showing or showing at an offset.

A quick online search shows that others tend to have similar issues. Maybe you can check to see if you're using a third party monitor and set your display settings to Default for Display if they are not?

If the display settings are fine, or that doesn't provide an answer, more information may help speed up the process.

Regards
Shrinivas

distrustful.dinosaurs

PostFri May 20, 2022 1:17 pm

Thank you both so much for taking the time and following up!

Shrinivas Ramani wrote:After a decent number of scenarios, I managed to find one that was similar.

Macbook, Mac OS Monterey 12.3.1, external monitor with a USB-C to HDMI adaptor.
Preferences > Display > Display Settings > select the Dell, choose Scaled instead of Default for Display.

For some custom resolutions, I can see Mac OS have issues across apps. For some apps, it is a mouse click offset. For others (e.g Text Edit, Inspect word) it is a pop up dialog or dropdown menu not showing or showing at an offset.

A quick online search shows that others tend to have similar issues. Maybe you can check to see if you're using a third party monitor and set your display settings to Default for Display if they are not?

If the display settings are fine, or that doesn't provide an answer, more information may help speed up the process.

I'm at a loss so I'm just going to go into as much detail as I can:

I currently have two setups:

1. A 13" Intel Macbook Pro from 2019 running Mac OS Monterey 12.3 and Davinci Resolve 18B build 10

This is the machine I've been using for a lone time and was using when I started this thread.

I tried switching to the various "scaled" resolutions available, stopping and restarting davinci between each attempt, and then attempting to modify a duration marker inside of a new project with a single video imported. No luck, never saw the modify marker dialog box at all.

2. A new Mac Studio with an M1 Max chip running Mac OS Monterey 12.4 and Davinci Resolve 18 18.0B Build 10. The screen I'm using is also new, it's an LG 27UP850-W (it's 27 inches, 4k resolution).

I also tried switching to various "scaled" resolutions, stopping and restarting davinci between each attempt, and then attempting to modify a duration marker inside of a new project with a single video imported. No luck here either, no modify marker dialog box in sight.

I know that in the Cut tab there is sometimes a subtle difference between the media pool view and the preview view, so I try to click on the duration marker in the media pool, then attempt to "Mark -> Modify Marker", then I click inside the preview window and again try to "Mark -> Modify Marker". But so far no luck with either.

Perhaps also worth noting:
- All of this up until now has been me trying to create and modify markers on clips in the project media pool, outside of any timeline.
- "Mark -> Delete Marker" also does not work when dealing with markers on clips in the media pool. So I can "Mark -> Convert In and Out to Duration Marker" but then I cannot modify or delete the marker created.
- Out of curiosity I started trying to create markers when working with a timeline. I found that with a timeline selected I could not "Mark -> Add Marker", but I could "Mark -> Add and Modify Marker" (the modify marker dialog box did open), and I could also "Mark -> Delete Marker".
- After seeing the modify marker dialog box open properly a couple of times I went back to trying to modify a duration marker on a clip in the media pool but it still didn't work.

All logic and reason is telling me that if I'm the only one experiencing this issue, especially after trying on a brand new computer with a completely new install of davinci, that it must be some issue with how I'm performing these actions. But at the same time, it feels like support for this sort of workflow (marking sections of clips and adding metadata) is very 2nd-class in Davinci, so maybe it's simply a bug that slips by unnoticed. Unfortunately, this workflow is very important for me because I do nature videography and don't get to have clean breaks between planned scenes.

I'm at the point where I have hundreds of duration markers that I cannot modify or delete, and the whole thing is becoming unusable. Honestly I would pay ~$300 to have this problem resolved, which leaves me with two options:

- I could buy davinci resolve and get the support, but would that really work? I'm not sure, and I've spent far more hours than I care to admit debugging this already.
- I could buy final cut pro, lose many hours I've put into learning and cataloging things in davinci, but at least have confidence that my workflow will be supported

I'm not sure what to do, would love any feedback + advice :/

roger.magnusson

PostFri May 20, 2022 1:43 pm

When it comes to the small representation of markers directly under the viewers (not on a timeline), if you simply right-click a marker and select "Modify Marker" it won't work for me. I have to select the marker with the left mouse button first so that it's highlighted, then I can right-click and select "Modify Marker" and the window pops up. An easier way is to just to left double-click a marker, that will work in any scenario.

Interestingly, timeline markers (that are not inside a clip) are highlighted automatically on right-click.

If I navigate to a marker in the Edit Index, selecting the row in the Edit Index doesn't highlight the marker, but if I go to Menu > Mark > Modify Marker it highlights the marker and pops up the window. That stops working if I have scrolled the mini timeline in the source viewer. To fix it, click anywhere except the source viewer or Edit Index first.

The issue to me seems to be that any time the source viewer has focus, the Modify Marker function stops working. Clicking a marker in the Edit Index doesn't snap out of it, even though the Edit Index technically has focus.

distrustful.dinosaurs

PostSat May 21, 2022 3:19 pm

Update!

I have found and wiped another laptop, then started with Davinci Resolve 16, verified that the functionality works there, and worked up until I saw it break. Somewhere between version 17 and version 17.2.2 modifying duration markers seems to have simply stopped working.

Machine for this test:

- Macbook Air 13" from 2019
- 1.6GHz dual core intel core i5
- 16 gigs of ram
- Intel UHD Graphics 617 1536 MB cache
- Running Mac Os Monterey 12.4
- Default screen resolution

Testing with Davinci Resolve 16.0:

- Installed davinci resolve 16.0
- Launched the application, completed quick setup (graphics check passed, selected 1080 HD, default "Movies" location, davinci resolve keyboard layout)
- As it finished trying to open, before I got to the project selection screen, davinci crashed
- I reopened it, it let me know there was an update available, I told it to remind me later
- I selected the default untitled project
- I clicked on the "cut" tab
- I dragged and dropped a single video into the top left media pool view, I declined to change my project framerate.
- I left-clicked on the list view button in the media pool
- I double left-clicked on my clip, used my mouse and the 'i' and 'o' keys to pick and in and out
- I went to the top menu and clicked "Mark -> Convert In and Out to Duration Marker"
- Davinci crashed before the marker apeared
- I reopened it, nothing was saved so I repeated all the steps starting with selecting the default Untitled project
- Davinci resolve crashed again
- I repeated the steps once again, except that this time I stayed on the "Edit" tab instead of the cut tab.
- This time "Mark -> Convert In and Out to Duration Marker" worked
- I left-clicked the duration marker in the media pool view on the Edit tab
- I went to the top menu bar and clicked "Mark -> Modify Marker"
- It worked! The marker metadata box opened, I entered data, and it saved
- I used the same steps to create and modify a second marker, to be sure it wasn't a fluke. It worked!

Testing with Davinci Resolve 17.0:

- I shut down davinci resolve and told it not to save my project.
- I installed davinci resolve 17.0
- I launched the application
- I let it "Upgrade Database"
- I opened the default Untitled project
- I opened the "Cut" tab
- I dragged and dropped a single video into the media pool view, declining to change the project framerate
- I left-clicked the list view inside the media pool
- I double left-clicked the clip
- I used my mouse and 'i' + 'o' keys to set in and out points
- I clicked "Mark -> Convert In and Out to Duration Marker"
- It worked, I double left-clicked on my new duration marker in the media pool
- I clicked "Mark -> Modify Marker"
- It did not work! No dialog box appeared.
- I clicked on the clip mini-timeline (in the preview window) and then clicked "Mark -> Modify Marker"
- It worked! The dialog appeared! I entered data and it was reflected in the media pool view
- I repeated these steps a few times to confirm. If the last place that I had clicked was inside of the media pool view, clicking "Mark -> Modify Marker" would do nothing. If the last place I clicked was in the preview window then "Mark -> Modify Marker" would always open the modify marker window and let me edit data for the most recent duration marker that I had created (regardless of where the play head and in and out markers were).

- I could not find a way to modify any markers except the last one created
- I tried double left-clicking an older marker in the media pool, and it would jump to the correct place in the preview window, but no matter where I clicked when I selected "Mark -> Modify Marker" it would always modify the most recently created marker.

Testing with Davinci Resolve 17.2.2:

- I quit davinci without saving my project
- I installed davinci resolve 17.2.2
- I launched it again
- I clicked on the default Untitled project
- I clicked on the cut tab
- I dragged and dropped a single video into the media pool, I did not change the project framerate
- I double left-clicked the clip in the media pool so that it appeared in the preview window
- I used my mouse and 'i' + 'o' to set in and out markers
- I clicked "Mark -> Convert In and Out to Duration Marker"
- It worked. In the media pool view I expanded the clip and double left-clicked on the new marker
- I clicked "Mark -> Modify Marker" and nothing happened.
- I clicked into the preview window and moved the play head around a little to make sure that window had focus (like was required in 17.0 before)
- I clicked "Mark -> Modify Marker", nothing happened. It appears to be fully broken now, I can find no way to modify the marker.
- I picked 17.2.2 because it was this update where I initially noticed this functionality broken many months ago: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=145027#p777459. Above I have been trying the same steps with later versions of 17 and Davinci Resolve 18 beta and I see the same problems.

It is certainly possible that I'm consistently doing something wrong. But I have now tried across three different machines starting with completely fresh installs of Mac OS and Davinci Resolve. I have seen consistent results and I have no doubt that this is reproducible.

Anyone from BlackMagic: If I paid ~$300 for davinci resolve studio and got the support, do you think this would be accepted as a bug and worked on? I'm sorry if that sounds blunt or rude, I'm just trying to decide whether I should put more time into trying to get this to work or simply move on

Return to DaVinci Resolve