Depth Map works only at low resolution (Sometimes)

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Earl Green

Depth Map works only at low resolution (Sometimes)

PostWed May 25, 2022 9:48 pm

I updated this Post as it appears this is not entirely repeatable.

I have mentioned in previous posts I could not get the Depth Map to work. It would return only a solid black image.

I finally tried using VERY LOW resolution timelines and I can get it to work, sometimes. It actually returns results pretty quickly but unfortunately it will only work on timelines of 720x480 or 720x486.
Trying any Custom size (even if lower resolution) will not work.

Although I can get it to work, it does not work with all clips. I have got it to work with a short BRAW UHD clip, but not longer clips (BRAW or H.264).

I happened to update my NVidia Studio driver within the last day or so. I don't know if that had any impact.

Lenovo Legion Y545
32GB RAM
GTX 1660Ti
Driver version 512.96
Windows 11.
Resolve 18 Beta 4

Hendrik Proosa

Re: Depth Map works only at LOW resolution (Sometimes)

PostThu May 26, 2022 11:08 am

Sounds like your gpu is too weak and runs out of vram.
I do stuff.

Earl Green

PostThu May 26, 2022 11:51 am

Sounds like your gpu is too weak and runs out of vram.

Which when happening in the past always produced an error stating it had occurred.
It may very well be the case, but why would this be the only effect which just quits without issuing an error?

Hendrik Proosa

PostThu May 26, 2022 12:20 pm

When was this in the past, did you get errors for depth map before? Do other ML based effects work? Object mask? There are just a few effects that actually do this kind of stuff in Resolve and their error messaging might not align with general error handling.
I do stuff.

Earl Green

PostThu May 26, 2022 12:45 pm

When was this in the past, did you get errors for depth map before? Do other ML based effects work? Object mask?

No I did not get errors with Depth Map in the past.
Yes others work.
Yes Object Mask works fine.

By "in the past" I mean with other effects (particle effects as I recall were prone to running out of memory) an error would occur stating "Out of Memory".

Return to DaVinci Resolve