Davinci Project Server

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Made2Create

Davinci Project Server

PostWed Apr 27, 2022 8:40 pm

Hello guys,

I am super frustrated and I hope someone can help. I have two PCs running windows and the newest version of Davinci Resolve Studio 18 hooked up to the same Router via LAN. The two computers are connected and file transferring via the file explorer works fine. I can copy files from one PC to the other without issues.

Using the "Davinci Resolve Server" Application I created a server on PC A. I toggled the "Project Library Enabled" switch to on. Then on Davinci resolve studio under the Network setting on PC A I added the server. I entered the login credentials and am able to access the server perfectly fine. I right clicked the newly created Video Server listed under My Network and clicked "Share Key".

This Key File I uploaded to PC B.

On PC B however whenever I try to open the access key file I get a notification saying "Cannot Connect to Network Project Library - Please check for correct credentials and if the server is online and allows client connections."

I googled the issue for a few days now. As per suggestions I:

- opened ports 5432 on my router and forwarded it to my IP address 192.168.1.4 (which is PC A).
- Disabled the firewalls on both computers (re-enabled after this did not work, so dont get any funny ideas ya hackers)
- Created exceptions in the firewall for Davinci Resolve & Project server

But still it is not working.

I have no clue what to do and want to cry. Please someone help my before mash my brain against a wall. I have 0 clue of what I am doing. Im a super n00b. If this was CoD I would get flamed.

I pray to the Internet lord that this post may help.

Thank you in advance
-

Made2Create

Re: Davinci Project Server

PostFri Apr 29, 2022 7:56 pm

Anyone?

Gordonjcp

PostSat Apr 30, 2022 1:25 pm

You shouldn't need to port forward 5432 on your router unless you plan on connecting to Postgres over the Internet, which you almost certainly don't.

Can you check to see if port 5432 is actually exposed on the machine running the server? I think Windows has some crazy built-in firewall that breaks things like this, which you might need to configure to allow Postgres to work.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed May 04, 2022 8:05 am

Provide Resolve logs from both PCs. Generate the log files with the Resolve Help menu: "Create Diagnostics Log on Desktop"

Provide .NFO files from both PC's. Generate those by opening the Windows System Information app, and selecting the File - Save menu.

Provide the Access Key you generated from the Project Server.

On the PC with the Project Server, in File Explorer, go to the C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\13\data folder and make a zip of the log folder, and provide that.

Also in the C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\13\data folder, provider the pg_hba.conf file.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

FisherFry

PostTue Jun 28, 2022 5:58 pm

I'm having the same or similar issue. I'm curious, what did you find that resolved the issue?

In my situation, my wife's computer has Davinci Resolve 18 (free). My computer has Davinci Resolve 18 (studio) and Davinci Resolve Project Server 18.

I can successfully connect Davinci Resolve (studio) to Project Server (locally) but when I try to connect from her computer to Project Server (using export key) it doesn't work and it gives this error message:

Title: Cannot Connect to Network Project Library
Error: Please check for correct credentials and if the server is online and allows client connections.

I tried adding the 5432 Inbound Firewall rule in Windows, I've disabled the Windows Firewall. But still getting that message.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jun 29, 2022 4:28 pm

Windows or Mac?

Are you using 18b5 on both systems and the new 18b5 Project Server?

Verify you can ping each computer from the other.
Dwaine Maggart

FisherFry

PostWed Jun 29, 2022 7:14 pm

We're using Windows. Here's our software setup.

Her Computer: Windows 10, DaVinci Resolve 18 (Version 18.0B Build 28) - Free
My Computer: Windows 10, DaVinci Resolve 18 (Version 18.0B Build 28) - Studio
& DaVinci_Resolve_Project_Server_18.0b5_Windows

From her computer I can ping my computer if I disable the Windows Firewall on my computer. I do have a rule in their now that allows incoming traffic on port 5432. But since the connection hasn't worked yet, I've just been disabling the firewall during troubleshooting.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jun 30, 2022 2:14 am

Can you ping her computer from your computer?
Dwaine Maggart

FisherFry

PostThu Jun 30, 2022 12:07 pm

Yes, I can ping her computer from my computer and vice versa.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jul 01, 2022 5:00 pm

Provide Resolve logs from both PCs. Generate the log files with the Resolve Help menu: "Create Diagnostics Log on Desktop"

Provide .NFO files from both PC's. Generate those by opening the Windows System Information app, and selecting the File - Save menu.

Provide the Access Key you generated from the Project Server.

On the PC with the Project Server, in File Explorer, go to the C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\13\data folder and make a zip of the log folder, and provide that.

Also in the C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\13\data folder, provider the pg_hba.conf file.
Dwaine Maggart

FisherFry

PostFri Jul 01, 2022 6:01 pm

I need to make more than one post to attach the files (1 MB limit). This post contains the Project Server files and folder.
Attachments
Davinci Resolve Project Server (Access Key).zip
(400 Bytes) Downloaded 82 times
C-Program Files-PostgreSQL-13-data (pg_hba.conf).zip
(437 Bytes) Downloaded 64 times
C-Program Files-PostgreSQL-13-data (log folder).zip
(5.85 KiB) Downloaded 59 times

FisherFry

PostFri Jul 01, 2022 6:02 pm

Here are the files from HER PC.
Attachments
HER_PC_System_Information.zip
(153.01 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
HER_PC_DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20220701-133227.zip
(189.2 KiB) Downloaded 50 times

FisherFry

PostFri Jul 01, 2022 6:02 pm

Here are the files from MY PC.
Attachments
MY_PC_System_Information.zip
(249.37 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
MY_PC_DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20220701-133151.zip
(822.63 KiB) Downloaded 45 times

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jul 01, 2022 6:35 pm

Your IP address is 192.168.1.1

Her IP address is 192.168.1.9

So you can ping each other.

The IP address in the access key is 192.168.88.1

This is why the access key does not add the database to her Resolve.

Your computer has some other Hyper-V and VMWare IP's, none of which is 192.168.88.1. So I have no idea where that address came from.

In the Project Server app, it has one menu, called File. Select the File menu. It has a Network Interface selection. Make sure you select the 192.168.1.1 selection.

Then Disable Sharing on the Lady_Snapdragon database. Then Enable Sharing on the Lady_Snapdragon databsae. Then export a new access key.

That new key should work.
Dwaine Maggart

FisherFry

PostThu Jul 07, 2022 4:06 pm

That is exactly what was wrong! Thank you for taking the extra time to track down the problem.

I've never seen that IP Address. When I saw it I assumed that Project Server added it so I just went with it. I might need to trace down how that IP was added to my PC and get it removed.

As soon as I made those changes you walked me through, everything clicked into place!

anttiryt

PostWed Aug 24, 2022 8:49 am

Gordonjcp wrote:You shouldn't need to port forward 5432 on your router unless you plan on connecting to Postgres over the Internet, which you almost certainly don't.

Can you check to see if port 5432 is actually exposed on the machine running the server? I think Windows has some crazy built-in firewall that breaks things like this, which you might need to configure to allow Postgres to work.

Does anyone know if this is still the case, changing port not supported? I hate leaving 5432 open to internet.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Aug 25, 2022 3:15 pm

What is your question? Port 5432 is required for PostgreSQL to work on Resolve. And no, the port cannot be changed.
Dwaine Maggart

Igor Riđanović

PostThu Aug 25, 2022 7:46 pm

anttiryt wrote:
Gordonjcp wrote:You shouldn't need to port forward 5432 on your router unless you plan on connecting to Postgres over the Internet, which you almost certainly don't.

Does anyone know if this is still the case, changing port not supported? I hate leaving 5432 open to internet.

You don't need to open 5432 to the WAN. You can open any random port and then port forward that to 5432 on your PSQL server. That way you're a little less exposed. 5432 is known as the PSQL port and I would imagine bots go around scanning for this particluar port a lot.
www.metafide.com - DaVinci Resolve™ Apps

Return to DaVinci Resolve