General Resolve 18 Beta Cloud Editing Feedback

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

evilschultz

General Resolve 18 Beta Cloud Editing Feedback

PostThu Jul 07, 2022 6:10 am

Hey all. I've been playing with R18 B5 (now B6) using a Cloud Project for a few days with a friend to test the workflow, editing, all that. I have a few bits of feedback I'd like to share in no particular order.

The Pathing options in Project Settings are not as user friendly or automatic as the demo lead me to believe. The idea where one person adds media, the other person just clicks the red broken chain to relink said media, and magically they just stay online has not been my experience. Once we figured out how to manually add the pathing so that the other user could then use that entry to point to their local path is when things stopped going offline for us both. These pathing options are a great, and elegant solution and does work well. Just not as intuitive or smart as I think they could be.

The Sound Effects window should not come up as empty when you have SFX installed from BMD or other libraries. Also note, these will have to be pathed manually in the project settings of your cloud project to work correctly. I have to add *** to see all my sfx and it should really default to showing everything so the user doesn't think "oh no where is all my stuff!" - note: I have seen this mentioned before but it needed to be said again.

Most editors cut from timeline to timeline. We make timelines for selects. For sync. For so many things. Then those sequences get used as sources to cut into other timelines. Most of the time, nesting isn't what is wanted. While there is the option to "decompose on edit", the issue is that maybe I only need V2 and A4 and right now there is no way to patch one timeline into another and cut in it's contents. Sure you can copy and paste or cut everything in and remove what you don't want but both of those add many steps to a process easily done in Premiere (which lets you chose nested or not while editing sequence to sequence), or Avid (which doesn't nest things in general). I would prefer if Resolve worked like Premiere in this instance, giving an option to cut in the nest as is currently default, or allowing me to patch the timeline as if it were a clip.

Effects should indicate if they are "Resolve Studio" in the effects list. I am using Studio. My friend, is using the free one. I feel this mix of Studio/Free will be commonplace as producers and other creatives share projects. For professional projects, the price of the software is more than reasonable and I'm sure that won't be an issue. For my friend, the struggling actor who just needs some help "this one time", it would be nice if I could build some effects for them that won't suddenly be watermarked. I'll have to render off parts of the timeline and over-cut them, then sync those files, which is just more stuff to deal with the pathing of. It would be nice, since I have studio, to be able to do an effect that maybe they can't modify but at least can be seen without watermark for the export.

That's all for now. I really like cutting in Resolve. Hope this feedback helps.

benfolts

Re: General Resolve 18 Beta Cloud Editing Feedback

PostThu Jul 07, 2022 3:11 pm

I completely agree on the selective patching of one timeline to another on the edit page. Often times working in heavily layered timelines, we need to have the ability to accurately and quickly just take certain layers (not all) from one sequence to another. You could copy and paste of course but I like the idea of working timeline to timeline as if it were a source clip with timecode.

Thanks for posting this.
--DaVinci Resolve Studio (17.4.6 BUILD 4)
--CentOS Linux 7
--Intel Xeon (r) CPU E5-2698 v4 @ 2.20GHz x 58
--125.8 GiB
--GeForce RTX 2080ti x3 (Driver Version 418.56)
--Gnome Version 3.14.2

Joe Shapiro

Re: General Resolve 18 Beta Cloud Editing Feedback

PostThu Jul 07, 2022 5:39 pm

All great feedback! I very much agree - and sure hope the sound library thing is changed soon as this is a newbie stumbling block every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

Return to DaVinci Resolve