Dolby Atmos and Vision setting for hometheater in Resolve 17

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

ZERO_Maxi

Dolby Atmos and Vision setting for hometheater in Resolve 17

PostTue Nov 10, 2020 6:55 pm

What settings do you have to make to use Atmos and Vision in Resolve? One of the new features should be to use Atmos without the RMU. Vision should also work somehow, but I don't know how exactly to set up everything.
Can someone help me?

Best Max

Reynaud Venter

Re: Dolby Atmos and Vision setting for hometheater in Resolv

PostTue Nov 10, 2020 7:47 pm

The Dolby Atmos functionality is a Resolve Studio only feature and is enabled in:
Project Settings > Fairlight > Immersive Audio

The Resolve New Features Guide in the documentation folder of the installation provides an introductory overview of the Dolby Atmos feature set in version 17.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Nov 10, 2020 9:53 pm

You also need the Studio version.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

ZERO_Maxi

PostWed Nov 11, 2020 8:44 am

Thanks for your reply!

First, I have the Studio version of course.

I took a look at the documentation but that's not really helpful at all. There is no step-by-step instruction on how to set up everything in the project. For example: If I enable Dolby Atmos in the Fairlight settings, I wouldn't hear a thing. You would have to set up your audio configuration first. And that's actually part of the problem. So it's not just a logical setting and everything will work then. What I want is a step by step instruction from starting a new timeline until rendering the video which includes Atmos.

Any ideas?

ColtSuperbolt

PostWed Nov 11, 2020 2:41 pm

I read the documentation and I still can't figure out how to start building soundscape with Atmos from the scratch. Do I still need Pro Tools to create the 3D panned master file?

Jim Simon

PostWed Nov 11, 2020 2:53 pm

My thinking is that Dolby Atmos is one of those high-end professional features that requires some pretty extensive training/education to really make good use of.

So I have to wonder if this may be one of those times where the old adage applies. "If you have to ask, you're not ready."
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Reynaud Venter

PostWed Nov 11, 2020 3:20 pm

ColtSuperbolt wrote:Do I still need Pro Tools to create the 3D panned master file?
No.

Resolve 17 includes a native Dolby Atmos Renderer, so an RMU or the Dolby Atmos Mastering Suite is not required for Home Theatre deliverables.

Deliverables may be produced via the Deliver page's IMF Preset (which includes a Netflix option) with the following options:
- Dolby Atmos Send Patching
- Bed (Dolby Atmos 7.1.2)
- IAB Track File

The Deliver page also provides an IMF (IAB) audio-only option using Atmos Send Patching defined in Patch IO.

Alternatively, the Fairlight > Immersive Audio > Export Master File function provides the following options (using Send Patching defined in Patch IO):
- ADM BWF
- IMF IAB

Michael Kropfberger

PostWed Nov 11, 2020 7:04 pm

I'm currently also playing around with the new atmos features of DR17.
Is it possible somehow, not to use a soundcard, but to have a playback not only of video but also of surround/atmos into the HDMI output of my laptops' HDMI out? or via BM decklink mini monitor 4k? (this would not work on my laptop, but at least from a PC)

why do I want that? I have a home theater, and I'd like to output the HDMI directly to my AV-Receiver which would do the correct Dolby Atmos decoding for my highly sound optimized room then...

I'd like to sind on the couch and sound-mix with my laptop, just with an HDMI cable to the AVR

greets
Mike
Intel i9-12900ks, 64GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB M2 SSD (system), 2TB EVO860 SSD (media), 1TB EVO850 SSD (cache), RTX 4090, Win 10x64 latest

Michael Kropfberger

PostThu Nov 12, 2020 10:04 am

yes, diving deeper into that topic, I realize that I was a dreamer :) :)

at least (on my PC) I have managed to get Dolby Atmos enabled, but my trusty old RME Fireface ULX only allows me to set 5.1 or 7.1 in Windows, so I can't assign the atmos top channels to any output.

Further (in blind mode), I created a MAIN Atmos bus, but also there, it is not possible then to render a simple MP4 file containing h264 and AAC to have an atmos capable file for e.g. VLC.
I expected it to be 3F2M2R/LFE in VLC media.

I admit that I am totally green on this specific dolby topic, but I really wanted to get some first simple mixes done "the standard way".... I dont understand all that atmos talk about ADM BWF or IMF IAB

greets
Mike
Intel i9-12900ks, 64GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB M2 SSD (system), 2TB EVO860 SSD (media), 1TB EVO850 SSD (cache), RTX 4090, Win 10x64 latest

Michael Kropfberger

PostThu Nov 12, 2020 10:28 am

just as a side note, I fully managed to monitor via RME fireface and also render a 5.1 surround MP4 (all with DR17).
I'm lacking the knowledge to so with Atmos

Michael Kropfberger

PostThu Nov 12, 2020 12:23 pm

ok, I've rendered with IMF and linear-PCM audio for my main-atmos output.
This created a directory with the video mxf and the audio IAB .mxf, and some xml files.

What tool may mux this into MP4/x264/AAC? or is this impossible without official Dolby approval and some licensed Dolby Media Generator?

I tried mp4muxer-0.9.3, but it would only accept AAC or AC-3 audio.
Also iDealshare VideoGo claims to mux mxf files to mp4, but it does not understand the audio IAB .mxf
thanks & sorry for asking so much stupid questions... I want to learn that stuff, though...

Mike

PS: I could also generated a WAV via Fairlight > Immersive Audio > Export Master File -> BWF, but the WAV doesnt contain the atmos tracks as expected...

PPS: lots to learn, please help :)

Reynaud Venter

PostThu Nov 12, 2020 12:39 pm

Michael Kropfberger wrote:What tool may mux this into MP4/x264/AAC?
Dolby's tools may prove useful:
https://github.com/DolbyLaboratories/dlb_mp4demux
https://github.com/DolbyLaboratories/dlb_mp4base

I could also generated a WAV via Fairlight > Immersive Audio > Export Master File -> BWF, but the WAV doesnt contain the atmos tracks as expected
The BWF includes the ADM metadata in the file headers.

Import the Master via Fairlight > Immersive Audio > Import Master File in to a new Project.
All Pan automation, Tracks, Busses, and VCAs will be auto-populated in the new Project using the ADM metadata.

Michael Kropfberger

PostThu Nov 12, 2020 4:35 pm

thanks, I also ran over the dlb_mp4base on github.
Since I dont have a Visual Studio to compile the code for win10, is there the executable for version 1.0.1 somewhere?
thx
Mike

Photarium

PostMon Nov 30, 2020 5:10 pm

Dear Michael,

there is the folder /bin at the github path.
There you will find the exe-files for muxing and demuxing dolby video via windows command line - I like that retro style interface in the end of 2020!

Return to DaVinci Resolve