Depth map instead of green screen?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Michael McCaffrey

Depth map instead of green screen?

PostWed Apr 27, 2022 2:20 am

Is it possible to use the depth map effect in Resolve 18 in leu of a green screen? Is the key that precise? Or will it be possible?
Configuration:
Resolve Studio (Always the Latest)
Windows 11 Pro Workstation
32 Core AMD Ryzen Threadripper 256GB RAM
RTX 4090
RTX 3090
100G NAS
(1) 32" Ultra-Wide Display, (1) 4K 27” Display

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

Re: Depth map instead of green screen?

PostWed Apr 27, 2022 3:10 am

Michael McCaffrey wrote:Is it possible to use the depth map effect in Resolve 18 in leu of a green screen? Is the key that precise? Or will it be possible?

I will say no.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Philipp Glaninger

PostThu Apr 28, 2022 11:10 am

I would agree that only in very specific scenarios, Depth Map might give you something usable to key out.

By the way there is a Plugin for After Effects (Windows only) called "Goodbye Greenscreen" that can do that. The algorithm has still a long way to go before Digital Artist can retire, but it does indeed remove Backgrounds or Greenscreens with AI. The Results are OK most of the time.
Resolve Studio 18.x / i7 6700k / Windows 10 (64GB Ram) / GeForce GTX 1080TI 11GB / Tangent Wave Tablet / 3 Monitors + 1 Reference Monitor (by Intensity Pro)

panos_mts

PostThu Apr 28, 2022 11:45 am

It's not good enough for complete background replacement (the same applies for the magic mask)
It can be used to add some overlays in the background like particles etc.

Mark Foster

PostThu Apr 28, 2022 12:30 pm

Philipp Glaninger wrote:I would agree that only in very specific scenarios, Depth Map might give you something usable to key out.

By the way there is a Plugin for After Effects (Windows only) called "Goodbye Greenscreen" that can do that. The algorithm has still a long way to go before Digital Artist can retire, but it does indeed remove Backgrounds or Greenscreens with AI. The Results are OK most of the time.

this has exactly the same problems as magic mask and depth map with fine lines or hair.
where magic mask is even more suitable for this than depth map

useful for a funny social media video, not for anything else,
and therefore a greenscreen (bluescreen) is not replaceable by such a filter.
cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB SSD/4x4TB/7101A 4x2TB 970evo+/HP1344/BMD4k/RadeonVII
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
meike s35 cine 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

CougerJoe

PostThu Apr 28, 2022 11:38 pm

Mark Foster wrote:
Philipp Glaninger wrote:
this has exactly the same problems as magic mask and depth map with fine lines or hair.
where magic mask is even more suitable for this than depth map

useful for a funny social media video, not for anything else,
and therefore a greenscreen (bluescreen) is not replaceable by such a filter.

What about depth map being used in place of roto?
My view is it has to be as good, if it's not, it doesn't get used, so useless. The synthetic green screens are popular on tiktok, less popular on gaming streams, they look terrible, but the audience finds them acceptable because the alternative would be no background replacement

Uli Plank

PostFri Apr 29, 2022 1:34 am

The Magic Mask would be good enough for a background replacement like the one by Zoom or OBS.
But if you are used to movies with professional VFX, both look like crap.

I wouldn't say they are useless, but intended for a different purpose. DR is a color grading application before anything else. You can use both Magic Mask or Depth Map for grading a person differently from the background or give a landscape atmospheric depth or the like. Other than in VFX, you normally want the edges of such separations to be soft when grading.

AI has still a long way to go to produce precise separation from the limited info in consecutive 2D frames.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

CougerJoe

PostFri Apr 29, 2022 2:58 am

Uli Plank wrote:

I wouldn't say they are useless, but intended for a different purpose. DR is a color grading application before anything else. You can use both Magic Mask or Depth Map for grading a person differently from the background or give a landscape atmospheric depth or the like.

I found magic mask disappointing because although you can tune it perfectly for a single frame, it needs the perfect conditions to get the mask correct on all frames. I notice when BM are demonstrating Depth Map the new AI's at events they're using the identical videos as seen on the Resolve18 Launch. To me it says they don't have much confidence in it currently. I won't be using it until close to release date, so more improvements to come

Return to DaVinci Resolve