Randomized feed to TimeStretcher ok in Fusion, wrong in Edit

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

bounceHouse

Randomized feed to TimeStretcher ok in Fusion, wrong in Edit

PostSun May 28, 2023 2:25 am

Is TimeStretcher unusable when there is math.random() in the node chain leading to it?

In a Fusion Comp, I have a node chain that changes the image randomly on every frame. At the end, I placed a TimeStretcher node just before MediaOut. Its SourceTime has an expression:
Code: Select all
math.floor(time/10)

intended to advance to a new (randomized) image every 10 frames, with the InterpolationMode set to "nearest" so I get step-function behavior between images. It plays fine in Fusion.

I went back to the Edit page and lengthened the Fusion composition, and rechecked in Fusion tab that it still plays fine (the node durations extended as desired).

Back on the Edit page, I *don't* get the same result. Part of the playback will change every 10 frames (yay!), and part of it will change on every frame (boo!). I clear the render cache, and after it rebuilds the playback is worse. I used the Deliver page to build a video, and the result looks like the Edit page behavior (changing on every frame).

The combination of random nodes and the TimeStretcher seems to be causing the issue. If I replace the node tree that has randomization to have no randoms, then I see the "step every 10 frames" behavior I expect on both the Fusion and Edit pages.

What can I do as a user to fix this "Fusion page works, but Edit page doesn't render correctly" in this case please? (other than build a standalone comp with no TimeStretcher, render it and then put it on a timeline "slowed" to 10%).

I tried turning fusion cache off and on, and render cache off and on, to no avail.

Screenshot 2023-05-27 211016.png
Screenshot 2023-05-27 211016.png (19.5 KiB) Viewed 161 times
PC Win 10 Pro, 64GB ram; NVidia 522.30; dual monitor; RTX 3080 (10GB); auto/CUDA processing mode; SSD cache, separate SSD for data; Davinci Studio 18.6.6 build

Return to DaVinci Resolve