A positive experience

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Uli Plank

A positive experience

PostTue May 30, 2023 2:23 pm

Knowing that a public beta will have bugs and is meant to help squeezing them, I’d nevertheless like to state that I’m impressed. I had a clip that needed SuperScale plus Speed Warp. It crashed my regular installation of 18.1.4 under Monterey reliably, even in HD.
I moved the project to my trusted old iMac, running beta3 under Monterey. And I got daring and even switched to SuperScale Enhanced. Guess what? It got through without a hitch. Slow, but stable. So, I went further and rendered the whole project with several such clips, not very long, but a good dozen. Plus everything else you’d normally use, like grades, zooms, windows. It went through smoothly.

Well done, dear developers at BM!
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

GalinMcMahon

Re: A positive experience

PostTue May 30, 2023 9:11 pm

Agreed. I've frankly never had any "beta issues" with any Resolve beta releases. I'm pretty mind blown at the advancements BM makes even on dot releases.
Water cooled Windows 11 laptop
i9 12th gen - 64GB RAM - 16GB 3080ti
2TB 4th gen nvme main - 4TB 4th gen nvme scratch
Micro panel (thank you BM :) ) - Stream Deck
Resolve Studio 18.5
BenQ ultrawide - DeckLink 4k mini via Sonnet - 48” LG C2 OLED

Uli Plank

PostWed May 31, 2023 1:39 am

Wow, a water-cooled laptop! That explains it ;-)
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Rohit Gupta

Blackmagic Design

PostWed May 31, 2023 2:09 am

Uli Plank wrote:Knowing that a public beta will have bugs and is meant to help squeezing them, I’d nevertheless like to state that I’m impressed. I had a clip that needed SuperScale plus Speed Warp. It crashed my regular installation of 18.1.4 under Monterey reliably, even in HD.
I moved the project to my trusted old iMac, running beta3 under Monterey. And I got daring and even switched to SuperScale Enhanced. Guess what? It got through without a hitch. Slow, but stable. So, I went further and rendered the whole project with several such clips, not very long, but a good dozen. Plus everything else you’d normally use, like grades, zooms, windows. It went through smoothly.

Thanks Uli. Always good to hear about things customers like and what works for them. Thanks for sharing.
Rohit Gupta

DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design

Steve Alexander

PostWed May 31, 2023 2:47 am

I agree with Uli, Rohit. Pass our thanks on to the whole or team. I’m really enjoying 18.5!
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

Olivier MATHIEU

PostWed May 31, 2023 6:47 am

I agree
a BIG THUMB UP to the team. They are doing an amazing Job.
Resolve Studio 18.6.x & Fusion Studio 18.6.x | MacOS 13.6.x | GUI : 3840 x 2160 | Ntw : 10Gb/s
MacbookPro M2 Max

Editor, Compositing Artist
Davinci Resolve & Fusion Certified Trainer

gavin_lucas

PostWed May 31, 2023 9:13 am

I can only agree, great work from a great team
Code: Select all
            _
           /(|
          (  :
         __\  \  _____
       (____)  `|
      (____)|   |
       (____).__|
        (___)__.|_____

Videoneth

• Warnings: 1

PostWed May 31, 2023 1:10 pm

Rohit Gupta wrote:
Uli Plank wrote:Knowing that a public beta will have bugs and is meant to help squeezing them, I’d nevertheless like to state that I’m impressed. I had a clip that needed SuperScale plus Speed Warp. It crashed my regular installation of 18.1.4 under Monterey reliably, even in HD.

Thanks Uli. Always good to hear about things customers like and what works for them. Thanks for sharing. We are used to only hearing about problems and feature requests :-)

I get where you're coming from if you're on the side of the folks developing Resolve and the company as a whole. But, let me push back a bit.

There's so much praise for BMD, and not just for their gear and software, but also for the philosophy they seem to uphold (at least from what we can see publicly).

Not many other big companies are like that (and there are plenty in different fields that operate in a similar way).

I'm sure you've noticed it too.

Personally, I'm a big fan of what BMD represents. I've watched almost all the hardware videos on their channel for the past three years, even though I don't actually own any of their products (yet!).

When was the last time we saw a company releasing something new for a lower price than the previous version? Or constantly adding features to older hardware instead of constantly trying to squeeze money out of customers?

In a world full of scams, dishonesty, and catering to the loudest voices, it's really refreshing to see a company just selling their stuff without too much BS, saying, "Here's what you bought from us. We want you to enjoy it for years to come, and we'll listen to your feedback and ideas and give you updates"

If BMD keeps going down this path and avoids the pitfalls that others tend to fall into over time, that's fantastic.

I switched to Affinity Photo 2 for similar reasons. I want to "own" my things and support those who aren't part of the trend of taking away people's freedom in all areas of life.

Topaz Labs changed their direction not too long ago. They have new people leading their projects, and it's noticeable! Everything is getting better, and the communication with the users too.

Anyway, I don't want to see BMD resting on their laurels, so I'll continue to support them with my feedback, bug reports, and yes, even some complaining, haha!

I hope others take BMD model to follow. I genuinely believe that BMD has a highly positive influence on the entire industry.

Last thing, I read or heard that Resolve has 1 million download per month, is that true? I know that its adoption has to be massive for the past 2 years. I can't imagine the pressure.
Windows 10
19b
nVidia 3090 - 552.22

Timothy Clark

PostWed May 31, 2023 3:32 pm

I'm looking forward to installing 18.5! I wish there was a way to install the beta separately so I can have a release version to continue my work reliably, and a way to explore/test 18.5. Repeated feature request :).

CougerJoe

PostFri Jun 02, 2023 4:24 am

I stayed away from beta1 and 2, just loaded beta 3.
Something about my Resolve went wrong with 18.1.4. Resolve would pause on project manager screen, in processes Resolve would show not responding, after about 10 seconds it would recover. I load project then Resolve would show not responding again, and then everything was fine.

I went back to 18.1.3 which never had the problem, but it now experienced the same not responding pauses. THANKFULLY 18.5 beta3 has fixed whatever went wrong with my non Beta resolves. A beta good news story.

Josef Pöllmann

PostFri Jun 02, 2023 7:00 am

Uli Plank wrote:Well done, dear developers at BM!

Same experience here: https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=182117
DaVinci Resolve 18.6.5 Studio on a HP Z 420, 128 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD, 2x4 + 1x2 TB Media, RTX4060TI 16GB, 551.61 Studio, W10 for Workstations 22H2 - www.muehldorf-tv.de

Jim Simon

PostFri Jun 02, 2023 12:52 pm

Timothy Clark wrote:I wish there was a way to install the beta separately
I always test out updates/upgrades on my Personal system before taking the plunge on my Edit system. ;)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Uli Plank

PostSat Jun 03, 2023 3:19 am

For all those with a Mac: it's really easy to make a separate startup disk/SSD as a 'sandbox' system.
You just need any old storage that can be erased.

Timothy Clark

PostMon Jun 05, 2023 5:57 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
Timothy Clark wrote:I wish there was a way to install the beta separately
I always test out updates/upgrades on my Personal system before taking the plunge on my Edit system. ;)

Well some of us don't have that option

Return to DaVinci Resolve