18.5 b4 Linux install on Rocky 9.2

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

akayani

18.5 b4 Linux install on Rocky 9.2

PostWed Jun 21, 2023 1:16 am

Got the install happening and resolved the dependency issues.

What I've ended up with is a interface that is too small to be usable. (UHD monitor)

That using Rocky's standard Wayland setup.

Whose going to help me fix it? Someone here or in the Rocky forum?

I think the issue is with QT that I'm assuming has been used on the interface.

The solution might be "use KDE" or "use this thing that controls the interface".

Or it might be something in the beta that can be corrected.

I think it would be OK to assume anyone running Resolve on Linux is likely nerdy enough to have a UHD monitor in 2023. It's barely nerdy now.

Got any clues for this before I bugger up my Linux install adding stuff I don't need.

Yani

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

Re: 18.5 b4 Linux install on Rocky 9.2

PostWed Jun 21, 2023 8:12 am

Yani

Maybe let's start by listing the specific hardware you're using - include graphics cards, displays (sizes and resolutions) - the FAQ can help here. Consider adding screenshots of the UI if they help with specific descriptions.

An "interface that is too small to be usable" is likely to be one of 2-3 things:
• the display resolution is too high for its size (i.e. the size is too small for the resolution).
• the OS scaling is set incorrectly.
• the application scaling is set incorrectly. This can be found in DaVinci Resolve > Preferences > User > UI Settings > UI Display Scale.

To avoid possible issues from Wayland in 9.2, we recommend you use Resolve on Rocky 8.6. For systems with Nvidia graphics, we offer a standard Rocky-based Resolve environment ISO here (MD5).

Regards
Shrinivas

yohann

PostWed Jun 21, 2023 10:05 am

As Shrinivas stated, I'd also recommend you use Rocky 8.x since it's the Linux version/distro that is officially recommended to run Resolve.
Are there any specific reason you'd want to use Rocky 9.x?

On our end we migrated our workstations from CentOS 7 to Rocky 8.8 in order to use Resolve 17 and it's been working perfectly fine. We currently have a couple of those stations with Resolve 18.5b4 installed in order to try some new features.
I haven't been using the Blackmagic provided ISO image since I have a linux sysadmin background but I assume the ISO is the most straightforward way to go.

Also worth mentioning that we are not using wayland but X11. I figured that wayland is not always playing nice with nvidia gpu.

akayani

PostWed Jun 21, 2023 3:20 pm

I moved to Rocky 9 because the AMD graphics card didn't work so great on 8.

I think I've got it all working fine now. I can't help feeling that "Rocky" works for the high end servers and low end users but that for people that have graphics in mind a different set of priorities is in order. And I think it should be called "Bucky", Linux on the bleeding edge.

What I can say on this is...

Start the installer on a command line and note what is missing dnf install that stuff.
Make note of what the program complains about and add that.
Flip to the KDE desktop as it better deals with applications and used just GTK.

Then find this setting...

Legacy Applications (X11): > Scaled by the system

I haven't tried to flog it with any tasks yet but on the surface it looks AOK. It sees the GPU and has it set up.

An I have to say, this looks so much better than Windows. I'm going to see how far I can go with dumping windows.

I think it says that at this level of beta it is worth considering what the necessary software interface updates would be, if that isn't planned already.

There are a few other issues with using Rocky 9 and likely other stuff that uses AMD GPUs. The AMD install file totally sucks and you have to edit it for the correct driver locations. But if you install Rocky 9 and don't mess with it as I did, the right drivers are already in place.

It did get me thinking that I don't have any particularly intensive files for testing. It would be good to have a download of a file that really pushed the envelope. Be interesting to have something to use for real world comparisons.

Perhaps even a set of files that come about by winning a competition. As long as there is a comparison index between the files, the material could change every year. What system and which platform would take out the prize?

Sorry I didn't take more notice of my scramble for dependencies but I think the process above gets you there and what is required is hardware dependent. I'd say set up a test machine and suss it out.

Screenshot_20230622_005735.png
Screenshot_20230622_005735.png (225.49 KiB) Viewed 3018 times

akayani

PostWed Jun 21, 2023 4:28 pm

Shrinivas, I started with the "recommended", perhaps I'd have got it working with what I know now. But 9.2 was set up for the graphics card from the getgo.

The thing here is that you guy need to update components in the interface. If I can be totally presumptuous without real knowledge of your development platform, I'd say reading some of these links with sort it out.

https://doc.qt.io/qt-6/highdpi.html#qt-scale-factor

In the meantime, using KDE and the setting as per about works. I tried every method in Gnome and various command like options and had no luck.

There was also something I didn't notice. One of those first timer things. The little gear down at the right bottom that changes the theme. On the UHD screen that is tiny as. That might have been part of the initial set of reactions that lead to using 9.2.

It's likely time to have a relook at the recommendations. Either 9.2 with that display information noted and perhaps either a recommendation for KDE or some commands that work (https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... nder-gnome I did have any luck with these) or 9.2 with a code update.

Really, I think you guys need to do the code update for this while you are in beta if possible. UHD isn't something out there, I'll bet anyone not using a laptop is using UHD. And if it is Linux even more likely.

I think you have a winning app on Linux. I'll do a performance comparison to Windows this week. I'm fall in' with this Linux desktop. KDE is much more Resolve. I don't have many apps set up yet when I did the screen grab lo and behold, there isn't a built-in editor for screen grabs.

Either you guys or Rocky need to come up with Bucky, the KDE release for artists. Rocky would be good in server land or so a base workstation. It fails to go far enough for the purpose of dragging people away from windows and mac because it lacks the fine tuning for that. Like having flatpak installed. The default apps store on Rocky isn't going to sell it to our industry.

GIMP and Inkscape are a decent companion set.

And Grant needs to phone AMD and go the full Australian on them over their public Linux script with wrong directories. :)

akayani

PostThu Jun 22, 2023 3:34 am

Just an aside...

I think the interface issue does matter a lot.

I certainly expect that sort of level of quality, ie being with it and up to date on all supported platforms. It not about "well you can use..." it about the fact that it is a brave thing to do to put software that is coveted by Microsoft and Apple OS strategies on Linux. Resolve represents the first major part of a commercial graphics software to be on Linux.

It should be by virtue of the nature of Linux, the highest level of interface compatibility.

I know there will be comments like FA users and M.X and all the usual excuses for not giving it special attention.

But there is an unquantified level of special credit given to products this complex that span 3 OSes and do it perfectly.

This is a time when someone can step up and own Linux in the graphics space. The last company to try it was Corel and MS punished them for it. It's really become an issue with software subscriptions both for companies with large numbers of terminals and for little guys that use lots of different stuff occasionally.

It's such a great promotional opportunity. Given that Linux Resolve isn't going to spin massive installs and profit, I think a different approach to getting the most value from it is required.

What if BlackMagic offer to donate the full income from selling the Linux Resolve back into the community with donations that target companion software like GIMP and Inkscape. Expand the eco-system at the earliest point.

It's like going out for a drink and tipping the barman 20 bucks with the first drink you buy. You will get perfect service all night and never have to tip again. Open source developers don't need a lot of encouragement to do more.

https://www.youtube.com/@niccoloveslinux

He's very good... KDE programmer... get an opinion from him while in Beta and have him set up to do a review. He's tough but fair. And he works on touch for KDE.

PainComper

PostFri Jul 07, 2023 4:12 pm

Hello I`m unable to get it running on RHEL9.2 I dont realy know what the problem might be.

Anny idea what the dependancies where ?
I got promted 2 during install and installed them but the ap stil doesn`t run.

akayani

PostSun Jul 09, 2023 12:08 am

Dependencies...

I can't give you advice as I don't know what you system is. I can only tell you what works here. I'm not my 2nd install as I've been mucking about getting Windows on Linux in a virtual machine.

For me the missing dependancies for the AMD graphics card on Rocky 9 are the rocm Open CL drivers.

Here that is...

dnf search rocm

Then I've installed all the .x86_64 files.

The first time I did the install I did it from the command prompt and watched for missing files. That didn't seem to help this time around.

I used this video to suss it out more but didn't follow his container advice, which is likely the way to go, just noted what he was missing and for me it was rocm.

I do think it is a bit slack to not write up all the dependencies in the PDF that is included with the download.

Very likely, Resolve needs to be "flatpaked".

I can give you some clues on running Windows on Linux too if you want. I'm fresh from the "field". :)

akayani

PostSun Jul 09, 2023 12:15 am

Also you should run KDE. That will allow you to scale the interface in Resolve correctly. You only need this for UHD displays I suspect.
Attachments
Screenshot_20230709_101033.png
Screenshot_20230709_101033.png (125.37 KiB) Viewed 2825 times

PainComper

PostSat Jul 15, 2023 11:51 am

Yeah, it's not really a dependencies issue I make another post on the same day I answered your post, but it seems to have been blocked by admins for some reason.

I don't get any missing dependencies when I try to launch I get this error.

Code: Select all
❯ ./resolve
ActCCMessage Already in Table: Code= c005, Mode= 13, Level=  1, CmdKey= -1, Option= 0
ActCCMessage Already in Table: Code= c006, Mode= 13, Level=  1, CmdKey= -1, Option= 0
ActCCMessage Already in Table: Code= c007, Mode= 13, Level=  1, CmdKey= -1, Option= 0
ActCCMessage Already in Table: Code= 2282, Mode=  0, Level=  0, CmdKey= 8, Option= 0
PnlMsgActionStringAdapter Already in Table: Code= 615e, Mode=  0, Level=  0, CmdKey= -1, Option= 0
18.5.0b.0031 Linux/Clang x86_64
Main thread starts: FC867200
0x7ff3fc867200 | Undefined            | INFO  | 2023-07-15 13:52:02,159 | --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0x7ff3fc867200 | Undefined            | INFO  | 2023-07-15 13:52:02,159 | Loaded log config from /home/nanghe/.local/share/DaVinciResolve/configs/log-conf.xml
0x7ff3fc867200 | Undefined            | INFO  | 2023-07-15 13:52:02,159 | --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PainComper

PostThu Aug 03, 2023 8:50 am

Just did a clean install of RHEL9.2(stil completly unable to get it to launch even wioth clean rc files.

bash-5.1$ ./resolve
ActCCMessage Already in Table: Code= c005, Mode= 13, Level= 1, CmdKey= -1, Option= 0
ActCCMessage Already in Table: Code= c006, Mode= 13, Level= 1, CmdKey= -1, Option= 0
ActCCMessage Already in Table: Code= c007, Mode= 13, Level= 1, CmdKey= -1, Option= 0
ActCCMessage Already in Table: Code= 2282, Mode= 0, Level= 0, CmdKey= 8, Option= 0
PnlMsgActionStringAdapter Already in Table: Code= 615e, Mode= 0, Level= 0, CmdKey= -1, Option= 0
18.5.0.0041 Linux/Clang x86_64
Main thread starts: CAF6E180
0x7ff7caf6e180 | Undefined | INFO | 2023-08-03 10:49:46,628 | --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0x7ff7caf6e180 | Undefined | INFO | 2023-08-03 10:49:46,628 | Loaded log config from /home/nanghe/.local/share/DaVinciResolve/configs/log-conf.xml
0x7ff7caf6e180 | Undefined | INFO | 2023-08-03 10:49:46,628 | --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

then nothing

PainComper

PostFri Aug 11, 2023 3:07 pm

Did an install of Rocky 9 with KDE and i stil got the same problem

Main thread starts: 9B587180
0x7f809b587180 | Undefined | INFO | 2023-08-11 16:50:51,084 | --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0x7f809b587180 | Undefined | INFO | 2023-08-11 16:50:51,085 | Loaded log config from /home/nanghe/.local/share/DaVinciResolve/configs/log-conf.xml
0x7f809b587180 | Undefined | INFO | 2023-08-11 16:50:51,085 | --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i did try rocky 8 in the meantime wich did work but i need glibc 2.29+ for allot of other tools.

Return to DaVinci Resolve