Camera Control through Ethernet

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

K4Kasper

Camera Control through Ethernet

PostTue Nov 28, 2023 7:48 pm

Hey all,
I am looking for the workflow for Camera control for three cameras through Ethernet. I am running 3 Studio 6k Pro cameras, each to a Studio Convertor, then into the ATEM Production Studio 4K. I want to have camera control through the Ethernet.
Do I need to connect each camera to the Studio Convertor, then to a SDI Distribution, to get AUX return from the ATEM? in order to send control down the Ethernet?

Thank you for any help.

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

Re: Camera Control through Ethernet

PostWed Nov 29, 2023 11:54 pm

when U connect both IN and OUT to/from camera to ATEM , u get camera control and not need ethernet ..
http://audioatem.com
http://tally.pytkin.sk
http://www.stonepp.tv
http://www.media-planet.sk

Larry Masters

PostThu Nov 30, 2023 1:43 am

I connect the Blackmagic Studio Converter camera out to one of the SDI in of the ATEM SDI Extreme ISO then one of the SDI out of the ATEM SDI Extreme ISO to one of the return inputs of Blackmagic Studio Converter. You need to make sure the the camera ATEM ID is set the input of the ATEM. Example if the camera out of the converter connects to SDI input 1 the camera ATEM ID would be 1. You can find this info starting at page 103 of the Blackmagic Studio Cameras manual. I am just getting started setting up a studio with 4 6k pro studio cameras, 4 converters and 4 ultimatte 4k. These Blackmagic Studio Converters are pretty powerful IMO.

Larry

K4Kasper wrote:Hey all,
I am looking for the workflow for Camera control for three cameras through Ethernet. I am running 3 Studio 6k Pro cameras, each to a Studio Convertor, then into the ATEM Production Studio 4K. I want to have camera control through the Ethernet.
Do I need to connect each camera to the Studio Convertor, then to a SDI Distribution, to get AUX return from the ATEM? in order to send control down the Ethernet?

Thank you for any help.

K4Kasper

PostWed Dec 06, 2023 5:30 pm

Thank you Larry,
Do you know if we can Loop cameras that way? I want to control 3. I just use a mini SDI distributor from my studio ATEM 1 from the Aux out, then run a second cable to each of the cameras like Roman stated. But I want to only use the Ethernet cable to limit the clutter on the floor.

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Dec 06, 2023 6:10 pm

To be clear. You can take one Aux or Program output from the ATEM and use a suitable SDI Distribution (capable of the resolution and frame rate of the ATEM) to connect to the Return 1 of each Studio Converter. You do not need to run an SDI to the camera since the Studio Converter handles both camera and return via the Cat6. I hope this helps.

Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

colinmonk

PostTue Dec 12, 2023 2:39 pm

Interestingly, I have this setup where I have 03 off Studio Converters connected to cameras via ethernet and am having problems too.

On the front panel I can press the RET1 button and on the display i can see the return image (ATEM PGM Source) but the camera doesn't respond as if it has no camera return.

If i plug in the same feed in to the SDI In on the camera head it suddenly comes to life. What am i doing wrong?

Thanks
Colin

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Dec 12, 2023 8:04 pm

Make sure the Cat6 from the Camera port of the Studio Converter is directly connected to the Camera and not using any kind of switch. Also while not obvious do not connect anything to the RJ-45 labeled Control on the Studio Converter. Maybe put black tape on it so it is not mistakenly used. I hope this helps.

Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Lexiconman

PostFri Jan 26, 2024 6:18 pm

Having same issue. Have Studio Converters connected to three Studio 6K Pro. Have the output routed to an 8K Constellation input, have the output from the constellation routed to the return. If I toggle the Cam and Ret1 buttons on the front of the converter, I see the correct feed on the LCD of the converter. However, no tally, talkback, or other features appear to make it back to the camera. I am using a high quality Cat6 cable. The camera ID matches the input ID on the constellation.

Any thoughts?

lwheeler

PostMon Feb 12, 2024 7:00 pm

I think I just solved this on my new setup (3x Studio 4K Pro G2 > Studio Converter > ATEM 4 M/E Constellation 4K)

I, too, saw the cam/ret1 coming through the SC, but then noticed somewhere else (maybe a thread somewhere) that the camera frame rate and the ATEM Switcher Video Standard frame rate needed to be set the same.

Once I set the camera to match the 2160p59.94 that the ATEM was set for, everything worked just fine. Control, tally, you name it.

That said, I then set the ATEM and camera to 2160p24, and the ATEM glitches out. Control is lost, the preview on the ATEM screen glitches purple intermittently, and no control function works.

I noticed this also at other 2160p settings like 23.98, 29.97, and 30. Both 59.94 and 60 work though. This is going to be an issue for us for sure, so I suppose I'll open a separate thread for that later today.

Hope this helps though!

Return to Live Production