Hyperdeck Studio Mini Audio Recording Tone only

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

ksummerall

Hyperdeck Studio Mini Audio Recording Tone only

PostTue Dec 05, 2023 9:04 pm

My rig is set up like this, Shure SCM800 mixer taking a house audio feed from their Yamaha CL5, Output from mixer to ATEM Constellation 1 M/E HD switcher, HD-SDI out to Hyperdeck Studio Mini recorder. I was monitoring audio from the mixer and watching the meters bounce on the switcher and the Hyperdeck during all 4 shows. Everything sounded and looked great. I get back to the office with my recordings and the video is fine but the audio is nothing but a solid tone. I have no idea what happened but I need to figure this out. I am using cards that I have used over and over with no issues. Has anyone ever seen this before? Did I do something stupid? HELP!

Here is what it sounds like,
https://www.mediafire.com/file/tg75jr51 ... D.mov/file

Thanks
Ken
Ken Summerall, Jr
Ken Summerall Productions

floh79

Re: Hyperdeck Studio Mini Audio Recording Tone only

PostWed Dec 06, 2023 8:42 am

Just a idea, did you try to play back on Hyperdeck Studio Mini and listen if there is recorded audio.

Best regards
Floh

eMilty

PostWed Dec 06, 2023 11:08 am

This sounds very familiar. This sound is an audio loop. So you will have to look at your audio routing.

Possible cause: the audio of the Hyperdeck you were recording on was also enabled in the ATEM switcher. While recording the Hyperdeck outputs the recorded video/audio on it's SDI output. If you have this audio enabled (even when the Hyperdeck is not on PGM) on the switcher it will cause a feedback loop.

ksummerall

PostWed Dec 06, 2023 1:43 pm

floh79 wrote:Just a idea, did you try to play back on Hyperdeck Studio Mini and listen if there is recorded audio.

Best regards
Floh

I have note tried that. I will give that a try and see what happens.
Ken Summerall, Jr

rogersuski

PostWed Dec 06, 2023 7:40 pm

Is this a clip of your recording, or did you record as ProRes/DNX and exported to a small format? I believe your actual recording has more than 2 tracks and what you are hearing is the data in track 15+16 (BMD intercom).

If possible, deselect those from being monitored in your playback and see if you have a good result.

ksummerall

PostWed Dec 06, 2023 8:33 pm

rogersuski wrote:Is this a clip of your recording, or did you record as ProRes/DNX and exported to a small format? I believe your actual recording has more than 2 tracks and what you are hearing is the data in track 15+16 (BMD intercom).

If possible, deselect those from being monitored in your playback and see if you have a good result.

You are absolutely correct!!!!!!! Thank you for picking up on that. I have never had that issue before.

Thanks!
Ken Summerall, Jr

rogersuski

PostWed Dec 06, 2023 9:40 pm

In the HyperDeck settings there is an option to define how many audio tracks you want to record. If you are using your ATEM's PGM and Auxes, you can safely limit that to two audio tracks.

ksummerall

PostWed Dec 06, 2023 10:50 pm

rogersuski wrote:In the HyperDeck settings there is an option to define how many audio tracks you want to record. If you are using your ATEM's PGM and Auxes, you can safely limit that to two audio tracks.

I thought I had done that already. Next time I fire up the rig and I will make sure that has been done for sure!

Thanks
Ken Summerall, Jr

Return to Live Production